Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I know that many would argue my claims to have no scientific backing, but I feel that I have proven the worth of my advice time and time again… I would like to share with you some information that I personally believe to be good and true about Skin Care and acne.

-----------------------------------------------------

Did you know…

-That your skin has a natural line of defense against bacteria, viruses, and contaminants called the Acid Mantle?

-That your skin is slightly acidic, and so most soaps and cleansers will hurt the pH of your skin because they are too basic on the pH scale?

-That you should not use astringents with alcohol, or any toners containing witch hazel because they will harshly remove your skins natural sebum (oil) and will actually cause the skin to over produce sebum, causing an oily complexion?

-That most “Oil Free†products contain a synthetic oil called Dimethicone, and cannot properly moisturize at a cellular level?

-That certain natural oils are good for your skin (especially if you have acne) and will not block pores or cause skin to be greasy?

-----------------------------------

There are two things that are vital for healthy skin; #1- proper pH, and #2- proper moisture.

pH-

First of all, your skin is the largest organ of your body. On top of your skin you have an extremely thin film of protection called the acid mantle. I like to think of this as your skins immune system because it acts as a barrier to bacteria, viruses, and other potentially harmful contaminants. The acid mantle is your first line of defense. Therefore, it is very important to never disrupt it.

It is also important to keep your skin at its proper pH. On a scale of 0-14 (0 being the most acidic, 7 being neutral, and 14 being the most basic) the pH of your skin is at about 5.5, which is slightly acidic. Proper pH balance helps your skin to shed its dead skin cells at an even rate, getting rid of black heads and resulting in a desirable healthy glow!

Moisture-

I don’t care who you are, or what your ‘skin type’ is… your skin NEEDS naturally occurring oil!!! Now, I know you think I’m crazy (especially if you already have an oily complexion or acne), but it’s true. Your skin produces sebum (oil) to remain soft, supple, and flexible. It helps your skin to heal, and prevents wrinkles. If you remove oil from your skin, then your glands will desperately try to replace its precious oil by over-producing sebum, causing an oily complexion, and often clogging pores (resulting in acne). So NEVER remove your precious sebum in the first place! Instead, add natural and organic oils to calm your skin. Doing so will actually prevent oily (as well as dry) skin, heal imperfections, and help with acne!!

• Cleansing-

It is important to remove dirt and makeup from your skin on a regular basis in order to keep pores clear. However, a general rule to follow would be to not use anything that foams or suds! Soaps and face washes can have a pH that is too ‘basic’ for your skin (ranging anywhere from 6-11) no mater how gentile they may be! They will disrupt the acid mantle as well as remove precious oils from your skin. Often times, a warm wet wash cloth and splashing with water, are enough to remove dirt and cleanse the skin. Instead of using harmful soap or face wash to remove makeup, use the Oil Cleansing Method…

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/OIL-CLEAN...Hi-t141871.html

This is much better for your skin.

I suggest using Jojoba Oil or Grapseed oil to cleanse your skin once a day at night. In the morning, use your hands and rinse your skin with water only.

• Toners-

Do not use astringents, or any toners containing alcohol and/or witch hazel. These are extremely harsh and strip the sebum from your skin (which in turn, makes skin oilier and can cause acne)!

Try an Apple Cider Vinegar toner (or Distilled White Vinegar will work just fine). Add 1 part Vinegar to 8 parts water and use it twice a day (morning and night) to soften and exfoliate your skin, reduce red marks, treat acne, and refine pores.

• Moisturizers-

I am going to repeat myself… YOUR SKIN NEEDS NATURALLY OCCURRING OIL! Do not be afraid of it!!! Many oil free moisturizers contain dimethicone. Dimethicone is a synthetic oil, and is not able to properly moisturize at a cellular level. Also, stay away from mineral oil. Mineral oil comes from petroleum, and can actually age skin. Finally, just because a cream is thick, doesn’t necessarily mean that it is highly moisturizing; it means that the cream contains a lot of thickeners and/or wax.

• Acne-

Following the above regime may not be enough to completely get rid of moderate to sever acne. You will need to incorporate 2.5% benzoyl peroxide twice a day.

When dealing with acne and Benzoyl Peroxide, moisturizing is first and foremost important! Twice a day (morning and night), moisturize with Jojoba Oil or Grapeseed Oil before applying %2.5 BP. Other oils I recommend (if your skin can handle them) include Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. You can also mix and mach oils to find what is best for your skin.

• Exfoliating-

When your skin is functioning correctly, you do not need to over-exfoliate (which you shouldn’t do anyway). Just gently wiping with your hands or a wet wash cloth is enough to remove dead skin cells on a daily basis. Even regular terry washcloths can be too irritating for your delicate complexion, and irritation causes acne. I had to have soft cotton flannel washcloths made specifically for my sensitive acne prone skin. Rags from an old flannel shirt would work just as well.

---------------------------------------------------------

TO SUM IT UP-

At Night-

- Use Jojoba Oil or Grapseed oil to cleanse your skin via the OCM.

-Use a Vinegar toner.

-Moisturize with your choice of natural oils… a little bit goes a long way, but if dry skin persists, use more.

-Use 2.5% BP Gel

In the Morning-

-Rinse skin with water only

-Men, dry shave with an electric razor.

-Use a Vinegar toner.

-Moisturize with your choice of natural oils… a little bit goes a long way, but if dry skin persists, use more.

-Use 2.5% BP Gel

Do not exfoliate!

-------------------------------------------

I am confident that by following a regimen of this aptitude… as well as taking care of your health by drinking plenty of water, eating fresh fruits and veggies, getting enough sleep, exercising, and cutting down on stress… That most of the people here on acne.org could finally get rid of their acne :)

Edited by DeeVoo

The thing that bothers me most about your post is it's so black and white.

I think the Oil cleansing method is something that is definitely worth a try, but it's certainly not for everyone. Hell some people use sulfates with success.Others like me prefer non sulfate gel or foam cleanser. The fact you completely write off everything that foams is evidence of your naivety concerning acne care.

I think most people are aware that natural oils can be great for the healing and moisturization of their skin,but people react differently with different oils. Jojoba and coconut,for example, are something that could either benefit or worsen depending on the person using it.

I agree that a lot of products containing alcohol CAN be irritating depending on the individual using it, but alcohol helps a lot of active ingredients penetrate the skin. If the product is masterfully formulated, it won't cause drying unless the person has dry/sensitive skin.

Witch hazel has been around for a long time and it keeps reappearing in skincare over and over because it is something that a lot of people like to use. Once again, depending on the formula it's in, it doesn't always cause problems depending on the individuals skin

Dimethicone and petroleum don't penetrate,and don't have a high incidence of clogging pores. They form a film on your skin to hold in moisture. Some people like them just fine,others don't.

More people benefit from a gentle exfoliation method than not.

I am also very concerned that you tout all this information AND sell a line of products. You don't seem to have a firm grasp on skincare and the many different approaches involved in treating acne.Judging by the fact you only contribute bias information to these boards and your avatar advertises your product, one can only assume you're only here to sell your items.

Edited by OmegaisJaded

I believe that by simplifying the causes and treatment of acne that a larger group of people are able to benefit. This post is not about that which I cannot discuss, it is about what I have found to be true about skin care and spreading the word.

I said that you should start with Jojoba or Grapeseed Oil because the least amount of people would react badly to them. Everyone is different. Try mixing different oils to suit your skin. As I said, find out what works for you.

These are a few principles and guidelines of Skin Care that I feel are vital, and when followed correctly as a whole, many people who have tried everything (even having tried components that I listed), that they will finally be able get their acne under control. I was one such person who had tried everything, and needed to figure it out. I have spent hundreds of hours researching and testing my claims. I'm completely clear, and I have been able to help others as well.

Which Hazel is good for the skin, I suggest not using it in toners because it is most commonly extracted from the leaves and bark of the Which Hazel shrub via alcohol (like a tincture). Alcohol is the problem, not the Which Hazel extract. This is my opinion, and it is a valid one to have.

I never said not to use Dimethicone. I disagree that "oil free" products (which use Dimethicone instead of natural oils) are better for acne prone skin.

Using your hands to massage your skin, and then a non-irritating washcloth to gently wipe away oil while executing the OCM, does gently exfoliate dead cells from the skin, especially if proper pH levels are maintained.

I have been active on this website long before I came to these conclusions. Do not question my integrity. I hate to see such heartache here, and that is why I choose to help people.

See, I can agree with a gentle approach, but you literally said that cleansers are harmful. You do realize a vast amount of people on this website use a form of cleanser such as Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Decyl Glucoside, and Sodium Methyl Cocoyl Taurate to name a few? These are all present in gentle cleansers and are indeed gentle if formulated properly. However, you wrote them off entirely instead of even considering/mentioning that these were gentle cleansers.

You also neglected to mention,or perhaps were completely oblivious, that other steps in one's regimen could make up for a cleanser that was "too basic".

Also, there is no definitive research that petroleum products age your skin. Another very bias claim. You could have used the words "maybe" or "possibly,but no, you just dove right in there and said it was bad.

You listed right on your first post "Do not exfoliate!" and then here is your reply stating that your methods include exfoliation.

I have no doubt your 'trying" to help people, but in order to do so you need to acknowledge that your way is not the only correct way. There have been many people who have cleared themselves completely or almost completely(such as myself) and they all did it using different methods. I'm glad you got clear skin,that's just dandy, but your way is not the path to clearness for many people.

And I really wonder about your methods in the first place. You came to the conclusion yam oil was good topically because people consumed the root INTERNALLY? That is not in any way,shape, or form a valid conclusion to be had.(I read your other thread)

I also wonder what would posses almost half of the customers who purchased from you to not have left any sort of feedback. Maybe your methods really aren't worth raving over after all.

I am a very blunt and upfront individual. Sometimes this is a good trait, and sometimes not so much... There are many ways that people have cleared their skin and when it comes down to it that is all that matters.

However, I feel that allot of people go through so much crap before obtaining their goals (if they obtain them at all), and I just don't think it should be so complicated. As I have said, being here on acne.org has nothing to do with my personal products or website, an thus so should not be mentioned. I previously kept a log on my interests in creating skin care, and as I obtained my goals my comments became threatening to the nature of this site. That's fine, things change and I need to adapt to be able and serve the community.

There is actually allot of depth to my original post , and so I couldn't address every detail without writing a very lengthy and confusing OP. It is open for discussion and explanation. Thank you for discussing it with me...

I have had great results with using the Yam Oil topically. Skin is very respective to what you put on it and can actually be a better method than consumption (according to holistic medicine).

Did you read a research article stating that yam oil had the same hormone altering effects if used topically?May I see this research?

People do go through a lot of crap before finding something that works for them, but your product is no different from the already established methods out there. Your method will work for some and not others, just like every other product on the market today.

I don't care that you're blunt,it's humbleness I'm concerned about. You claim to know a lot, I'm sure you do know a thing or two about acne,but you were very quick to disregard other methods.

I made some retorts on your cleanser,alcohol,and exfoliation claims...and you have not gave me any sort of response back concerning them.

Also, you say manual exfoliation with oil is the best...well tell me WHY. There's some excellent,gentle chemical exfoliating products on the market from your typical salicylic acid to fruit enzymes. What is your issue against them?

Then how do you feel about alcohol free witch hazel?

I have used witch hazel in 14% alcohol for years, both by itself and to remove BP the next morning, and I have found it to be less drying BY FAR than washing off with water and cleanser. Even after the OP's post, I would not hesitate to recommend it to someone.

I know that many would argue my claims to have no scientific backing, but I feel that I have proven the worth of my advice time and time again… I would like to share with you some information that I personally believe to be good and true about Skin Care and acne.

This is only my advice. I wish to tell something different to individuals strugling with their skin. I think it has good worth... it's no different than anyone elses advice and comments.

I feel good about it.

This is only my advice. I wish to tell something different to individuals strugling with their skin. I think it has good worth... it's no different than anyone elses advice and comments.

I feel good about it.

Do you think it's ethical to be making money off a product with no scientific backing,only your personal experience?

I honestly don't have an issue with your cleanser OR toner,though I can argue it's effectiveness on a larger scale,but my main problem is still that yam oil.You're selling it,and you can't defend it? It doesn't seem fair the people buying it.

I was just wondering. I've already purchased this toner, I just like hearing what people think about products. Meaning I've also scoured the reviews section...

I don't hold peoples personal experiences in such a high esteem that it influences my decision one way or another. I'm just curious most of the time.

I just now realize that last post wasn't directed to me at all....

:wub:

I was just wondering. I've already purchased this toner, I just like hearing what people think about products. Meaning I've also scoured the reviews section...

I don't hold peoples personal experiences in such a high esteem that it influences my decision one way or another. I'm just curious most of the time.

I just now realize that last post wasn't directed to me at all....

:wub:

It's all good :) I hope you enjoy your toner!

Wow everyone needs to relax...

1. She did state that nothing was scientific and she was sharing personal experience.

2. Omegais Jaded...you really need to relax and stop attacking. most of these posts are not scientifically based but usually based on personal experience. Why are you picking on her. seriously...she's just doing what everyone else does. You are basically doing the same by showing your regimen. You are displaying an opinion and backing it up with personal experience. Dang just keep the peace here... And anyways, she gave her recipes for everyone to do themselves, i see no financial gain there...

3. Deevoo your post is very helpful. thank you. For myself, these don't work, but i have seen it work on others.

Guest davidtheskinking

Great post, thanks for sharing! I appreciate it!

The only thing I don't see the same or eye to eye on with you is the benzoyl peroxide.

but otherwise great information,

David