Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Beach Boy

Isotretinoin for Moderate Acne

Well I have Moderate acne. I've had it for a couple years now and I have tried skin ID (for like 6 months) with no results, Proactiv (for 4 months) with no results, Max Clarity (for at least 2 months...) and a variety of other stuff, and none of that gave me any results, so I went to a dermatologist who prescribed me Doxycycline and Tretinoin (Retin-A micro) and I used the Doryx for a couple months with the Retin-A then stopped it because I saw no results, and it irritated my stomach, and I've been on the Retin-A for quite a while now and again, no results. So I feel I've been pretty patient and I've tried a lot of OTC products, AND prescription products, over the past 3 years, all with no results. So I was wondering if I could be prescribed Isotrentinoin because I've been reading all these threads where people say they had mild/ moderate acne and were on accutane, because nothing else worked for them either, for a couple months and have been clear ever since. And i was thinking that since summer is in 4 months (which is about how long a cycle takes, from what i've gathered) If I should call up my dermatologist and say "Hey I think I need accutane, i've tried everything, I've been consistant, and nothings worked, etc". I just don't know if they would prescribe it to me, because i Only have moderate acne, and my dermatologist is very assertive with what they think will work. I don't know... any comments on this predicament? suggestions? Storys? I really don't know what to do, like you know how you start a new regimen and you feel good about it, and you stick with it, and it should have worked by now but it hasn't and you just feel this sinking feeling, and you want to try everything to get clear. Well i'm there right now... so yep...

Ok maybe I exagurated a little... I was very very stressed out... But honestly I have mild acne, it's just that my skin is always red and irritated and oily, and looks horrible from having to use all these creams and I'm always stressed that I'll forget and I worry about going out with friends and missing a cleansing and applying... Or that I'll go swimming and totally mess up that day (and I live in Texas so it's a necessity that I swim in summer) And I just cannot take having acne anymore I always have at least 2 red "active" pustules on my cheeks and then I have TON of "hyperpigmentation" from past acne that last for months at a time... And my products only seem to get Rid of and tone down the acne after it has already appeared, they don't prevent it, and as I posted earlier I have been through countless products and I'm just so stressed about this that I think even if I found a cream that worked I would still want to go on accutane because it's the only "permanent" solution, and it's a pill so it won't irritate my face as much as a cream or gel (or foam) and gah I read some posts here that claim accutane is a miracle drug that cleared them up, but I read some story's of people who's acne got much worse and they got loads of side effects and I really am balancing if I want to risk the side effects and that initial break out... I'm just so stressed out about this and I want acne out of my life... I want it gone. Not just hiding behind some cleanser and gel. Gah and I've been researching accutane so much that I haven't done any homework... I'm 15 btw

15?! Whoa, never mind about what I was saying about convincing your doc to give you Accutane. You're too young. lol You haven't even hit puberty yet! Accutane in a child causes premature epiphyseal closure (ie it'll stunt your growth.) Believe me, that's the last thing you want to contend with, even having had acne. Best wishes.

dude, try not to go on accutane.... its a road for the desperate....

since you ve said that you only have mild acne...... do you notice oily skin? if there is very minimal oil.... then maybe the best therapy would be eating healthy.... it might take a while...but the long term benefits are mesmirising... trust me...

I know of people that have gone on Accutane at 13 and were totally fine. yeah I guess I've never tried it so *I* can't say, but just talk to a doctor about it. if you're hopeless and nothing worked, maybe it's time for another route.