Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
User102638

Accutane Log, Round 2

Hi all,

Finally starting accutane course 2 tonight. Long story short.... struggled with acne for about 13 years. Went on accutane 5 years ago and had decent, though not great results. Have tried everything (birth control, tetracycline, differin, BP, spiro, etc.) in the meantime. A lot of my breakouts are hormonal, but I generally breakout at least a bit regardless.

If I recall, the worst part is the dryness which is TERRIBLE. Any support or recommendations on how to deal would be great. I'm going to start off with:

lips: vaseline and aquaphor (lots of them)

moisturizer for face: jojoba oil and cetaphil

For washing: Body Shop's Aloe Calming Facial Cleanser

For spots/blemishes: Am going to try to keep using DermaDoctor's Ain't Misbehaving, though it probably won't be long before it's too drying

Any support, comments welcome!

Hi! Good luck on your treatment!

If I may ask, why wasn't the first round so good? How long were u on the meds the first time? What dosage were u on? What didn't work out for u to be 100% clear? Pr did u clear up but it came back?

Hi Katushkinz,

My skin definitely improved, but it wasn't' flawless. I've come to wonder if maybe flawless is too much to ask, which is why I'm going back on it, to try to get good results, and for longer this time.

It certainly did help clear me up, but over the past few years my skin seems to have changed a bit and it's come back, often worse than before.

I don't remember my dosage unfortunately, but I THINK it was 40mg/day. I was on it for 4.5 months I believe.

Day 11: Oh what a difference of a few days can make....

My lips are getting REALLY dry. I'm trying with the Aquaphor, which is good, but I think it may also be breaking me out around my lips and when I put it on my skin. I'm using blistex and it's good, but not great.

The "inital breakout" seems to be upon us. I've gotten about 4 new spots in what seems to be about 10 hours. I'm still using some pseudo harsh spot treatment because for the most part, my skin isn't actually drying yet. Any recs on combating the spots?? Tell me this won't last long....

Day 16: I'm wondering if anyone is actually out there reading! Oh well... it's cathartic for me. :)

Breakout is a little more manageable. Also, I popped. I know it's frowned upon but I popped a few actives anyways. So far it's worked out just fine. They are scabbing over and flaking off.

Haven't gotten a headache in a few days, which is good. My hair doesn't seem different, but my scalp is dry and flakey. Adding some jojoba oil to my conditioner, but only seems to make my hair a little greasier.

Also adding Vitamin E 400ui to the regimen.

Day 22: Not a lot to report. Still having some breakouts. Skin is getting a bit dryer but I'm managing. Lips are getting very dry, but fairly manageable. (I remember it being worse on my 1st course.)

Overall, trying to combat the breakouts with the dryness is the main problem. Grr.

So far, no more headaches!

Edited by RedViolyn

Day 22: Not a lot to report. Still having some breakouts. Skin is getting a bit dryer but I'm managing. Lips are getting very dry, but fairly manageable. (I remember it being worse on the second course.)

Overall, trying to combat the breakouts with the dryness is the main problem. Grr.

So far, no more headaches!

i am reading your log so please keep us updated. glad to hear your headaches are gone :) i bet the dryness is tough though.

Day 28: Officially been 4 weeks. So far, still just trying to keep the lips in decent shape is the biggest issue. The headaches have also come back the past few days. My derm upped my dosage to 60 mg/day starting next week. I'm a little concerned about the headaches with increasing the dosage, but the derm said that we will keep a close eye on things. Skin is doing alright. No new problems. Definitely a bit sensitive to sunlight.

Start of month 2, Day 29:

Over the past few days my headaches have come back. I've also noticed a slight problem focusing at times and sort of "tired" eyes. I didn't like the sound of this and am endlessly paranoid about the bad side effects so I called my derm. She recommended that I continue on the course but closely monitor whether the headaches persist or get any worse. This means I'll continue on 60 mg, recently bumped up from 40 mg. I know that dry eyes sometimes cause this so I got some eye drops yesterday and will be using it religiously. Hopefully that goes away. I really don't like the worrying! Luckily I have no other bad symptoms right now. (No nausea, vomiting, etc.)

As for my skin, breakout wise, it's looking decent. I have a couple sort of old breakouts that won't seem to fully disappear. It's also getting a bit dryer, but still, manageable.

Day 31: I was going to say that I was extremely pleased that my monthly breakout had been squished by the accutane, but this morning I realized it wasn't so.

I woke up to about 3 new blemishes and have noticed some clogged pores. Although I must say, the severity is a little less than the normal hormonal breakout that I usually get.

Headaches are still going in and out. It's gone right now, which is good. Hope they go away permanently.

I feel like I'm sort of talking to myself. Feel free to chime in anyone!

Day 31: I was going to say that I was extremely pleased that my monthly breakout had been squished by the accutane, but this morning I realized it wasn't so.

I woke up to about 3 new blemishes and have noticed some clogged pores. Although I must say, the severity is a little less than the normal hormonal breakout that I usually get.

Headaches are still going in and out. It's gone right now, which is good. Hope they go away permanently.

I feel like I'm sort of talking to myself. Feel free to chime in anyone!

Hey! I'm reading your log, so keep it going :). I like reading round 2 courses, makes me want to do it as well, face is terrible since round one.

Are your blood test results good? Derm hasn't said anything about why you might be getting your headaches?

Hi 13owman,

Thanks for chiming in and the support. :)

My derm thinks the headaches are probably due to eye dryness, aggravated by the fact that I sit at a computer a lot of the day. I've started using eye drops 4 times a day for the past 3 days or so. Today so far is the first day that I haven't had a headache at all. So hopefully that's a good sign that it was just the dryness! I'm going to stick with the eye drops which seem to maybe be helping.

As for a 2nd course, it's funny because this course is actually, so far, much different the first. The dryness so far is NOTHING as bad as the first time I was on accutane. I rememeber feeling like my lips would just crack right off. So that's a plus. perhaps since I knew what I was getting into, I prepared better this time. On the flipside, during my first course I suffered literally no side effects apart from the dryness. I never had vision problems, or headaches. I guess it's a toss up.

So far my bloodwork is good.

Day 33: Grr, I have a few more pimples, including the start of a cyst. UGH! I also have a couple smaller under-the-skin things that won't seem to surface or go away. Irritating. What do people do for spot treatment with accutane? nothing is helping!!!

Generally though my skin's texture is looking ok.

I'm also happy to report that I've had two full headache free days! I really didn't buy that eye dryness was the cause, but I've been religiously using the drops and then the headaches are gone. So it looks like that's the case! I'd highly recommend anyone having headaches to try eyedrops.

Also, PS, does anyone use differin for spot treatment on acne? I have some left over from about 9 months about when it was prescribed to me...

Day 36(5th week): over the past two days cysts that I thought were subsiding have sprung back into action. Haven't come to the surface, but sort of lingering. I also commited the cardinal sin of popping two. So far, it's worked out ok. One was ready to be popped. It did leave a red mark but it doesn't look like it's deep, so I'll hope it won't scar.

Still, my skin and lips are dry, but not BONE dry. The moisturizer I use in the morning is dynamite. I may get a different kind, same brand, because it's starting to get sunnier and I'll need SPF.

So far, all in all, my skin is only a LITTLE better. I'm still getting hormonal breakouts which has always been the problem.... I'm also starting to use differin as spot treatment to try to help out those cystic areas.

Day 39: Very dejected. My skin seems to be getting worse. The hormonal acne is back and shows no sign of leaving. I also have a ton of clogged pores and had a huge whitehead. I'm feeling pretty terrible at the moment. Cysts lurking underneath the skin, the whole nine yards. It's literally like I'm on no medication at all....

Very frustrated.

It's ok please stay positive.. don't forget that u upped the dosage and that maybe the reason of the bad breakout. I hope it will subside very soon.

I had headache and tired eyes and nose also from the first day. I am worried is it normal to start eyes pain that early? i'm only in day 5. I'm using eyes drops from the second day. twice daily but i don't feel it helps:(

please be positive so when I have my breakout later i want u to remind me to be positive too :)

Thanks smile4life.

I've been using differin as spot treatment and am wondering if that's a no no. It doesn't seem to be causing problems, but I don't want to be too harsh with the skin.

I HAVE to use some sort of spot treat. Especially this cluster of cysts just beneath the circus has been there for months and months.

Day 42:

Continuing to be very unhappy. Getting some very dry patches on my chin mixed with swelling cysts. Also getting persistent whiteheads on cheeks...not something I normally get much of. Skin just looks bad.

Any feeling that I once got that the accutane was helping, has completely flown out the window.

Day 43:

I'm posting a lot right now because I'm SOOOOO frustrated. Out of NOWHERE, my skin is bone dry and flakey, and still manages to have a few cysts and whiteheads which I can't put anything on because its so dry. Not to mention I feel at least one more cyst coming.

Basically, my skin is awful. And I feel awful.

Keep positive :) RedViolyn. Luckily for you, you have already been through this expierence :)

I am on my 2nd day of the tablet and I have already expierenced my IB, but I am keeping positive. I am finally fighting the acne. This tablet works :) keep positive and keep updating the log please.

Day 44: I'm glad I have this log, so there is somewhere to direct my frustrations!

My skin has gotten even worse since yesterday, another cyst and more dryness. I also now have ezcema on the back of both hands.

Not only does my skin look AWFUL, it feels terrible. Really dry, and then once I put on moisturizer, it's like it doesn't absorb so it just gets sticky and blah.

Trying to drink even more water (which may not be possible) and run a humidifier at night to help out with the dryness.

Ugh, this is terrible....