Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cvd

Getting Clear - What's Working

I had a terrible flare-up during Dec and got totally fed up after decades of dealing with periodic flare-ups of big angry cysts on my chin. Finally talked seriously with my family doc and an endocronologist after being pushed to do this for years by my derm. My family doc did skin and blood allergy tests. I'm allergic to shellfish and peas (huh?). I'm also high fructose and lactose intolerant. Guess what my favorite foods are during the holidays --- crab, shrimp, rich foods. No wonder I had a big flare! Also I eat shellfish usually once or twice a month. My family doc thinks this added to the inflammation. The endocronologist is getting all my old derm records and blood tests. She thinks I'm unusually sensitive to androgens --- have lots of receptors and enzymes that convert testosterone to DHT - the hormone that causes acne.

According to the endocronologist I was already on the path to controlling things but I just hadn't done eneough. I was taking Spironolactone but the derm recently upped the dosage from 50mg to 100mg. She says this is good and that Spironolactone is the drug of choice --- very very safe and can be taken forever. The derm also upped the Tretinoin Cream from .5% to .1%. I always thought I had sensitive skin but for some reason I can tolerate Tretinoin Cream just fine. I have a little dryness but not really noticable. I tried the gel a couple of times but it was way too harsh. The cream is much more gentle. I never would have thought my skin could handle the .1% cream! I'm using Cetaphil antibacterial bar soap and Neutrogena Lotion for Combination skin, along with Neutrogena Mineral Sheers powder. Everything is very gentle.

I'm doing yoga everyday and following what is outlined in the book "Healing Adult Acne - Your Guide to Clear Skin & Self-Confidence" by Dr Richard G Fried. This is the best book I've ever read for dealing with both the physical and emotional aspects of acne.

My skin is looking so much better and has been clear now for almost a month!!! I'm following my new diet religiously - no shellfish, peas, dairy, or high fructose. This means a very healthy diet which is good anyway!

So in summary my suggestions are that if you have resistant adult acne you may want to try the following:

1. Talk frankly with all of your health professionals (adult acne can be due to lots of things)

2. See an endocronologist (they are trained to look for underlying issues and connections)

3. Do what your derm says and don't be afraid to try new things (wish I had)

4. Have a book to refer to (see above)

5. Have allergy testing (allergies can increase inflammation which causes more acne)

Edited by cvd