Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dean527

Strange face rash & acne I have had for over 10 years

Im hoping that somebody on here might have a clue what condition it is that I might have. This has been driving me crazy for a very long time.

I am a 31yr old male and I used to have severe normal teenage acne from the age of 13 but when I was about 20 this changed and the acne became more cystic and I also started getting a terrible rash all over my face.

The rash is extremely sore with a burning sensation and has constantly been all over my face now for 10 years. The only way to desribe it is as different shaped dry patches which appear all over my face, not just in one certain area, though they do seem to be worse more often next to my nose, on my cheeks and just above my eyebrows.

I have tried nearly every product going over the years and changed my diet etc but nothing works, just aggravates it, even washing in water makes it worse leading to the patches get even redder and new ones appearing. I have searched the net but nothing looks similair.

My skin always looks leathery, red and blotchy and feels itchy and sore all the time. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions that would be great!

Here are 2 recent pics off my skin, though this is when its actually not too bad.

post-145023-1296471480_thumb.jpg

post-145023-1296471527_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dean527

Have you gone to a dermatologist yet? If not, I would definitely do so. They could identify it and give you something to relieve your symptoms. Maybe it's an allergy? I was going to suggest maybe psoriasis? Here's a page that describes a few different skin rashes and their symptoms...

Thanks Michellica, that website looks very helpful and ill have a good read! Yes I have been to a dermotologist a few years ago and thay basically just put me on antibiotics for a few months which didnt help.

But I think its time to visit one again as ive been silly and kept putting it off, i guess its embarrassing talking about it as my way to cope has always to pretend its not their, which is crazy really.

It may be rosacea. Try to see a dermatologist who specializes in rosacea. You may be allergic to something topically or internally. Talk with your regular doc about this too. If it's rosacea you'll want to get on top of it as it usually gets worse. Keep trying to find someone who'll work with you. It's tough when we're older! I've found it's helpful to bring in a list of what I've done over the years to treat the problem - that way the doc isn't starting from scratch!

Have you gone to a dermatologist yet? If not, I would definitely do so. They could identify it and give you something to relieve your symptoms. Maybe it's an allergy? I was going to suggest maybe psoriasis? Here's a page that describes a few different skin rashes and their symptoms...

Thanks Michellica, that website looks very helpful and ill have a good read! Yes I have been to a dermotologist a few years ago and thay basically just put me on antibiotics for a few months which didnt help.

But I think its time to visit one again as ive been silly and kept putting it off, i guess its embarrassing talking about it as my way to cope has always to pretend its not their, which is crazy really.

My pleasure, I hope it helps :). I understand how it can be uncomfortable seeing a dermatologist, but they see so many people (many with much worse skin conditions). Honestly, I have been seeing derms for so long, that it doesn't bother me at all. I actually like going now, because it feels like I am doing something/being pro-active. Good luck!

That really does look saw, Dean. I've seen vaguely similar at the pharmacy a few times, but I just want to ask a few questions to see if I can help.

Interesting you say it is itchy and raw feeling? Do you notice you get it on your eyelids as well?

Does it ever crack, weep or bleed?

Have you noticed this rash on any other part of your body, and do you suffer (or does a relative suffer from) eczema, or other itchy skin complaint? Even dandruff.

Lastly, do you use the same wash/ shaving creams/after shave, or do you frequently swap?

When you moisturise, does it sting? What do you use?

Also worth considering if you are on any other medication which could be causing this.

That really does look saw, Dean. I've seen vaguely similar at the pharmacy a few times, but I just want to ask a few questions to see if I can help.

Interesting you say it is itchy and raw feeling? Do you notice you get it on your eyelids as well?

Does it ever crack, weep or bleed?

Have you noticed this rash on any other part of your body, and do you suffer (or does a relative suffer from) eczema, or other itchy skin complaint? Even dandruff.

Lastly, do you use the same wash/ shaving creams/after shave, or do you frequently swap?

When you moisturise, does it sting? What do you use?

Also worth considering if you are on any other medication which could be causing this.

Hi sorry for the late reply but im on wifi and my internet has been terrible!

I appreciate your help Alice and everyone else who has replied. I managed to see a derm a few days ago and he wasnt quiet sure what it was but said it is likely Urticaria and has precribed me an amphetemine, I actually havnt had a rash on my body since I started taking them though my face hasnt changed yet, so will be interesting to see what happens over the next month or so.

Alice, my eyelids are always fine, I never have any problems. My skin never bleeds or cracks, I will just suddenly start itching on my face and within a couple of hours these itchy areas turn red and they look like severe dry patches on my face, thats when they then start burning.

Nobody else in my family suffers from asthma or do get a rash on the rest of my body, chest, back and waist though this rash looks very different to my face rash and doesnt last nowhere near as long, my body rash looks like raised hives and this is what led the derm to believe it is Urticaria.

When shaving I only ever use an electric razor as clean shaving seems to aggrivate my skin and I never use any kind of moisturiser, I have tried so many over the years including eczema moisturisers and they make my skin sting too much and the patches get even redder.

I even struggle to wash in just ordinary tap water, in fact my derm got me to wash in water in front of him just so he could see how bad my skin gets after it. After using water my whole face becomes tight, I then start to burn and more stinging dry patches appear on my face.

I know its not medication causing this because up untill visiting the derm I didnt take anything at all.