Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gators_Fan

Indoor Tanning

First off, let me get this out of the way.

Everyone knows that Indoor tanning isn't safe, can cause skin cancer, skin wrinkles, and doesn't react well with acne medication. Please don't reply to this to tell me of the problems tanning can cause, everybody already knows.

The simple fact I'm sharing with you is that Indoor tanning has been working for my hyper pigmentation. I do not take any medications that increase photo sensitivity. Anyone taking Accutane, Retin A, or BP etc. shouldn't indoor tan.

It has been proven that light therapy is beneficial to acne and hyper pigmented skin, and although tanning isn't as harm-free as blue light therapy, its cheaper and effective. My acne is under control right now (only a couple small zits at a time). My main problem is the annoying red marks that take forever to go away.

I go into the tanning bed for 10 minutes, the lowest powered bed, 2-3 times a week. I put on my facial moisturizer before I go with SPF 15. This helps make sure your face doesn't get burnt, but it still gets a nice color to it. I shower within 30 minutes of going home. After a few weeks of trying this out, I haven't 'broken out' (only 3 tiny new pimples have appeared over that time, which is normal). My red marks are very hard to notice, and the whole tone of my face has evened out.

As for the active zits I had during this time, it seems like they dried up and dissapeared quicker than normal, but I'm not going to claim that tanning as done that, so I'll leave that topic alone. Most people say that tanning makes your hyper pigmentation worse, but that is not the case what so ever for me.

As you can see, I'm not tanning a ridiculous amount, and for short periods of time on the lightest setting. My entire body isn't even getting too much tanner, but my face tone has significantly improved. My red marks have blended back into my skin, and even when I haven't gone tanning for 4 or 5 days, the marks don't seem to reappear.

Once again, if you are personally opposed to tanning, that is fine. I accepted the risks, please don't criticize me, I'm not telling everyone that tanning is the magic cure, but that it could help your situation.

It has been proven that light therapy is beneficial to acne and hyper pigmented skin

Where has it been proven? I've always heard that the sun is good for acne but bad for hyperpigmentation and red marks. And wikipedia ( I know, a great source haha) says sun exposure can cause hyperpigmentation.

I'd be interested in reading your sources. Especially since you are making these claims and telling us not to criticise you.

google led red light therapy, or blue or amber

Edited by ayla

I would supply a couple links but apparently we arent aloud to hyperlink here. The lady above me is right, if you google light therapy there will be numerous claims saying it can help with facial issues. Most will not recommend tanning for the obvious reasons (skin cancer, wrinkles, etc), but will not explain what effect it will actually have on your red marks.

Like I said, some people say tanning will make your hyperpigmentation worse, but others will say it has helped, including me. If you're someone who doesn't tan well at all, obviously I wouldn't recommend this.

I really believe most of the people who have had negative results from tanning on their red marks are people who use BP nightly or some other photosensitive drugs. All I use is Apple Cider Vinegar at night so my skin/body isn't experiencing any photo sensitivity.

I think this poster has it right... there are many benefits, even to your skin, of moderate UV exposure. However, there is no universal application of this, since everyone's skin is so unique. But if you stick to what the media has been saying about tanning, and leave no room for inquiry or education, you will never find the right health and skin care regimen that is best for you as a unique individual.

I think this poster has it right... there are many benefits, even to your skin, of moderate UV exposure. However, there is no universal application of this, since everyone's skin is so unique. But if you stick to what the media has been saying about tanning, and leave no room for inquiry or education, you will never find the right health and skin care regimen that is best for you as a unique individual.