Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Hey guys-

I just wanted to share my recent success with all of you just in case someone else could benefit from this information. I have been on this website for a while, and I have tried everything except for accutane for my acne. This includes, BP, salicylic acid, multiple antibiotics, spiro, proactive, acnefree, vitamins and supplements, and many different diets including Paleo. I have had small improvements with certain remedies, but nothing significant. I am 25 and have been dealing with moderate to severe for the last 4 years. I always have had about 5-6 active pimples on my face at one time, and most of them are large, painful cysts that take weeks to clear. I recently (3 weeks ago) started a new work-out program called Insanity which involves intense cardio and plyometrics for 40 minutes a day, 6 days a week. It is definitely called Insanity for a reason- it is completely insane. I noticed a slight improvement in my acne in the first week, and it has been getting remarkably better ever since. I know that exercise is great for the body, increases oxygen flow and helps to rid toxins from the body, but I didn't realize that it would reduce, almost eliminate my acne.

I was very skeptical to pinpoint the cardio as the cure for my acne because I have exercised in the past and have seen no drastic improvement in my acne. Last year I went to the YMCA almost every day and would run on the treadmill, ride the elliptical, or lift weights. I think that Insanity (or any similar program) works because my heart rate is close to max for a total of 20-30 minutes throughout the work out, and I think that is the key. I haven't seen my face look this good in years! I know that it has only been a few weeks, but I really think that after all these years I finally found something that works. I realize that many of you may exercise now and it may have no impact on your acne, but this is working for me so I thought I would share.

Edited by chultzy

Hey guys-

I just wanted to share my recent success with all of you just in case someone else could benefit from this information. I have been on this website for a while, and I have tried everything except for accutane for my acne. This includes, BP, salicylic acid, multiple antibiotics, spiro, proactive, acnefree, vitamins and supplements, and many different diets including Paleo. I have had small improvements with certain remedies, but nothing significant. I am 25 and have been dealing with moderate to severe for the last 4 years. I always have had about 5-6 active pimples on my face at one time, and most of them are large, painful cysts that take weeks to clear. I recently (3 weeks ago) started a new work-out program called Insanity which involves intense cardio and plyometrics for 40 minutes a day, 6 days a week. It is definitely called Insanity for a reason- it is completely insane. I noticed a slight improvement in my acne in the first week, and it has been getting remarkably better ever since. I know that exercise is great for the body, increases oxygen flow and helps to rid toxins from the body, but I didn't realize that it would reduce, almost eliminate my acne.

I was very skeptical to pinpoint the cardio as the cure for my acne because I have exercised in the past and have seen no drastic improvement in my acne. Last year I went to the YMCA almost every day and would run on the treadmill, ride the elliptical, or lift weights. I think that Insanity (or any similar program) works because my heart rate is close to max for a total of 20-30 minutes throughout the work out, and I think that is the key. I haven't seen my face look this good in years! I know that it has only been a few weeks, but I really think that after all these years I finally found something that works. I realize that many of you may exercise now and it may have no impact on your acne, but this is working for me so I thought I would share.

So, I got a bit confused in the second paragraph.

You say you went to YMCA almost every day but there was no major difference.

But now its working??

Could you clarify?

Thanks

Yeah sorry- I will clarify.... I was working out at the YMCA on machines and lifting weights, but it was/is nothing compared to how I feel while doing this cardio program. I am being pushed to my limit- sweating profusely and heart pounding.

Yeah sorry- I will clarify.... I was working out at the YMCA on machines and lifting weights, but it was/is nothing compared to how I feel while doing this cardio program. I am being pushed to my limit- sweating profusely and heart pounding.

Oh I see, if you don't mind, can you share what kinds of exercises you do?

Also, do you exercise outside or inside and for how long (I think you said 20-30 mins)

Lastly, are you on some kind of diet still?

Yay! Someone who agrees that exercise is important! Just move people. Chronically exercising can cause inflammation, but in moderation, it is VITAL. Jack LaLanne exercised vigorously every day until he died at 96. Ninety freaking Six, and of natural causes. He had a flawless diet as well, but still. Your diet isn't working for you? Well, if you're a couch potato, it doesn't matter if you're snacking on chips or celery all day, nutrients aren't going to absorb, your lymphatic system is going to slow down and clog, and your mood, circulation, and healing are going to suffer hugely.

Now I have a question; if you slowly increase your level of exercise over time, would this make longer, highly vigorous exercise less inflammatory since your body is used to it? Rather than if someone who wasn't used to vigorous exercise did the same amount? Does anyone have any answers or speculation? This is important. Thanks!!

Yay! Someone who agrees that exercise is important! Just move people. Chronically exercising can cause inflammation, but in moderation, it is VITAL. Jack LaLanne exercised vigorously every day until he died at 96. Ninety freaking Six, and of natural causes. He had a flawless diet as well, but still. Your diet isn't working for you? Well, if you're a couch potato, it doesn't matter if you're snacking on chips or celery all day, nutrients aren't going to absorb, your lymphatic system is going to slow down and clog, and your mood, circulation, and healing are going to suffer hugely.

Now I have a question; if you slowly increase your level of exercise over time, would this make longer, highly vigorous exercise less inflammatory since your body is used to it? Rather than if someone who wasn't used to vigorous exercise did the same amount? Does anyone have any answers or speculation? This is important. Thanks!!

Hey, by chronic, do you mean like every day? or like ALL THE TIME. And by moderation, how often and how long should you exercise at a time?

Thanks

I would say chronic exercise would be heavy, vigorous exercise every day for more than an hour. My estimations may or may not be a little distorted though. I would say that the average person should exercise moderately about an hour a day. What does 'moderately' mean? About 20 minutes max of vigorous exercise (preferably cardio, like running), with the rest consisting of stretches and low impact cardio, like running.

Remember that I say this is preferable for the 'average' person. My question still stands. Some of us are in situations where our occupation/lifestyle requires much more exercise, and I want to know if easing into that sort of lifestyle might make this level of exercise less inflammatory and stressful on the body.

I hope that wasn't too vague, and if anyone has an answer or speculation on my question, I'd love to hear it! :D

I would say chronic exercise would be heavy, vigorous exercise every day for more than an hour. My estimations may or may not be a little distorted though. I would say that the average person should exercise moderately about an hour a day. What does 'moderately' mean? About 20 minutes max of vigorous exercise (preferably cardio, like running), with the rest consisting of stretches and low impact cardio, like running.

Remember that I say this is preferable for the 'average' person. My question still stands. Some of us are in situations where our occupation/lifestyle requires much more exercise, and I want to know if easing into that sort of lifestyle might make this level of exercise less inflammatory and stressful on the body.

I hope that wasn't too vague, and if anyone has an answer or speculation on my question, I'd love to hear it! :D

Oh okay, that clears some things up, or rather confirms some things.

But, one thing, look here, you said:

About 20 minutes max of vigorous exercise (preferably cardio, like running), with the rest consisting of stretches and low impact cardio, like running.

Vigorous exercise = running and Low impact cardio = running. LOL

I assume you mean like running hard, and then running/jogging at a slower pace/ :)

Also, a difference between running outside and lets say like on a treadmill?? and usually what time of day do you go out for a run?

Oddly enough, my acne seems to be at its worst whenever I work out intensely. I used to play college soccer, and when I was being put through the most intense workouts, my skin was at its worst. For most people, it seems as though a light workout is better than a very intense one (though everyone is different). With a heavier workout, human growth hormone levels naturally increase. As we know, HGH is at its highest during puberty, which is also when acne is at its worst (on average).

Coincidence? I wouldn't think so, but feel free to disagree.

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY
Jack LaLanne exercised vigorously every day until he died at 96. Ninety freaking Six, and of natural causes. He had a flawless diet as well, but still.

errz..so then y he died then? bcz 96? so what. my ggma ate poor diet, lots of sugar (like she would bring box of chocolate candy every day bcz she was selling them n she could get em n so) n never specially exersised or anything (she was pretty active n olimpic at her youth tho, i troll u not) n despite that she lived until 92, if only she wouldnt mix her legs in some frikin cords n fell n break hipbone (its pretty vital thing for eldery ppl) she would have lived rly long bcz she had good health overall, but in hospital she werent treated properly n she died (its whole other story etc), otherwise she woulda beat that jack lalanne, bcz she had no diet n still.

anyhow u dont want to tell me its all in exersise do u? :huh: bcz i cant say my ggma was like "exersising" or like running or jumping with rope lol or anything but well she would move around n stuff alot, does that also counts? :huh:

Hey- I wish I had more answers to why this is working for me, but I don't- it just works. The cardio program that I am doing is called INSANITY and it is similar to P90x but there are no weights involved and it focuses more on plyometrics and cardio. It is a set of multiple DVDs, 20 minutes of intense cardio with my heart rate very high and about 20 minutes of stretching/warm-up. All together, each work out is about 40 minutes, 6 days a week and I do it inside. I am always sure to check my heart-rate to make sure it's safe and I go at my own pace if it is too strenuous of an exercise. If you want to learn more about it I am sure you can check out the video on YouTube or go to the website. It is a 3 month program, and the exercises change week-to-week.

I have always had a fairly healthy diet- I eat lean meat (mainly fish and chicken), whole grains, fruits & veggies and nuts. However, I do drink beer and eat pizza/wings here and there on the weekends. I know that this won't work for many people- but it is working for me. Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.

Hey- I wish I had more answers to why this is working for me, but I don't- it just works. The cardio program that I am doing is called INSANITY and it is similar to P90x but there are no weights involved and it focuses more on plyometrics and cardio. It is a set of multiple DVDs, 20 minutes of intense cardio with my heart rate very high and about 20 minutes of stretching/warm-up. All together, each work out is about 40 minutes, 6 days a week and I do it inside. I am always sure to check my heart-rate to make sure it's safe and I go at my own pace if it is too strenuous of an exercise. If you want to learn more about it I am sure you can check out the video on YouTube or go to the website. It is a 3 month program, and the exercises change week-to-week.

I have always had a fairly healthy diet- I eat lean meat (mainly fish and chicken), whole grains, fruits & veggies and nuts. However, I do drink beer and eat pizza/wings here and there on the weekends. I know that this won't work for many people- but it is working for me. Let me know if there are any other questions I can answer.

Looks pretty interesting.

Its a bit expensive though, haha, I could just workout on my own.

Is it very informative? and like well guided?

I LOVE the beachbody workouts! I haven't tried Insanity but I'm a month into P90X right now and love the way I feel. My husband did the whole thing before our wedding (and achieved awesome results). I remember watching him and thinking there was no way I would be able to handle a workout like that, but I decided to take the plunge and try it with him when he started round 2 and I'm SO happy I did.

I totally agree that cardio is very good for acne. When I just lift weights I notice that I sometimes break out more around my chin, but my skin really seems to like the P90X weights/cardio combo.

You're making me want to try Insanity after we finish P90!

Oddly enough, my acne seems to be at its worst whenever I work out intensely. I used to play college soccer, and when I was being put through the most intense workouts, my skin was at its worst. For most people, it seems as though a light workout is better than a very intense one (though everyone is different). With a heavier workout, human growth hormone levels naturally increase. As we know, HGH is at its highest during puberty, which is also when acne is at its worst (on average).

That's why we've said that chronic, intense exercise is not the best. A certain amount of vigorous exercise can have benefits, but not if you're over-working yourself and exceeding your limits.

I also wonder if the quality of food you're consuming can cause excessive breakouts if you're exercising more, because you're absorbing more of what you eat. However, if you're eating healthier, what's being absorbed is beneficial. This is a theory; but what was your diet like at this time?

Oh okay, that clears some things up, or rather confirms some things.

But, one thing, look here, you said:

About 20 minutes max of vigorous exercise (preferably cardio, like running), with the rest consisting of stretches and low impact cardio, like running.

Vigorous exercise = running and Low impact cardio = running. LOL

I assume you mean like running hard, and then running/jogging at a slower pace/ :)

Also, a difference between running outside and lets say like on a treadmill?? and usually what time of day do you go out for a run?

SORRYSORRYSORRY, I definitely meant swimming.

Bike riding at a moderate speed, swimming, pilates, yoga, jumping on a trampoline, jumping jacks, etc. are all good forms of low impact cardio.

There is a difference between running outside and on a treadmill, because outside there are hills and such, as well as streets to stop at and pedestrians. Running outside is beneficial, because you're getting Vitamin D from the sun and absorbing more because of increased circulation, but since it's February and I live in Michigan, running outside is impossible (unless I wanted to slip on a patch of ice and land in a snowbank, whilst getting frostbite on my face from the wind). I use a gym and take extra vitamin D, lol.

When it comes to running outside, if it's too hot, go at a cooler time, even if it has to be early morning or in the evening where there is little sun; at least until you work your body to an endurance level that can handle the heat.

A few running tips:

Don't drink too much water. When you do, take sips. Guzzling water imbalances your electrolytes (which you're already losing through sweat) which will cause an energy drop.

Pace your breathing. Do. Not. Pant. You will end up with horrid stomach cramps and will be quickly out of breath. When running, breath slow and deep. You will feel like you need more air, but you're really getting significantly more oxygen this way. I personally start off with one intake over the course of six footfalls, then breath out for six footfalls. As I increase pace and get further in my running, I go to five footfalls per breath.

InBreath>>

1 2 3 4 5 6

Outbreath>>

1 2 3 4 5 6

This sounds weird, but this is essential.

Also, don't eat immediately before running. I think most people know that.

We also know that weight lifting raises testosterone levels, so if you're going to weight lift, do it in moderation.

Since nobody has an answer to my question, I'm going to hypothesize here in case anyone else ever has this same question.

Noooobody has to read this, lol..

If someone is in a situation where they are going to embark on a lifestyle which includes unusually high levels of physical activity, the question at hand would be whether the inflammatory effects of this excessive exercise could be avoided by easing into this lifestyle, slowly increasing the level of physical activity over a period of several months.

The inflammatory effects of chronic exercise are often caused by the strain which is put on the muscles and joints.

A possible solution is that by strengthening the stamina and muscles of the body, including the heart, they might become more accustomed to this level of activity, thus causing less strain-THUS possibly causing less inflammation.

This could possibly be shown by the various aboriginal tribes who are accustomed to high levels of physical activity without having shortened life spans, although genetically, they may be more "built" or programmed for this type of lifestyle.

SO, I will hypothesize that building one's body through slowly increased levels of mostly cardio exercise, as well as a small amount of weight lifting type of activity, the body could be less prone to inflammation once a higher than average level of activity is achieved.

/pointless ramblings. This last bit was mostly for my own use, but if someone else ever needs this information to build on or whatever, here it is.

Sorry for the novel :whistle:

That's why we've said that chronic, intense exercise is not the best. A certain amount of vigorous exercise can have benefits, but not if you're over-working yourself and exceeding your limits.

I also wonder if the quality of food you're consuming can cause excessive breakouts if you're exercising more, because you're absorbing more of what you eat. However, if you're eating healthier, what's being absorbed is beneficial. This is a theory; but what was your diet like at this time?

You're spot on with the diet aspect. I was just recently diagnosed with insulin sensitivity, so I believe that my past diet choices had an even worse impact for me than it would for the average acne sufferer. And during my months of the most intense exercise, I was eating as I did before I knew about my insulin sensitivity (not very well).

You're spot on with the diet aspect. I was just recently diagnosed with insulin sensitivity, so I believe that my past diet choices had an even worse impact for me than it would for the average acne sufferer. And during my months of the most intense exercise, I was eating as I did before I knew about my insulin sensitivity (not very well).

Yeah! I guess the best way to explain it is that the body is kind of like a car. If you put crappy fuel in it, you're going to get crappy emissions. Actually, if you're eating clean enough, you can entirely avoid having body odor. You still sweat, but it doesn't smell. It's pretty amazing actually.