Notifications
Clear all

Can glutamine cause acne?

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 01/27/2011 12:25 am

Ive been taking glutamine for a couple of days now. I read that after exercise glutamine levels drop and that leaves the immune system in a weakened state, I started taking it to hopefully prevent any colds since I get them alot.

Anyways Ive noticed that im breaking out slightly on the forehead and temple area, and I usually hardly ever break out there anymore, except maybe a rare zit every now and then, but right now it really seems to be breaking out.....

Kind of sucks because I really thought glutamine would be the answer too my constant colds.

Does anyone know why glutamine might be breaking me out? From what Ive read, if anything glutamine should be really beneficial to the skin, but then a quick google search shows a couple of similar threads being posted on various boards saying that glutamine caused acne for some people.....

Anyone have the same thing happen to them? Or any ideas why it might be breaking me out?

MemberMember
(@isaac-lee)

Posted : 01/27/2011 4:37 pm

I would like to know this too.

How much are you taking??

I plan on taking it for possible Leaky Gut.

Also, is it L-Glutamine??

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/27/2011 4:43 pm

I take it, one of the most important vital supplements I take. Literally could "feel" my insides healing every day. I definitely had leaky gut before.

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 01/27/2011 7:54 pm

I would like to know this too.

How much are you taking??

I plan on taking it for possible Leaky Gut.

Also, is it L-Glutamine??

Yeah its L-Glutamine, from a reputable source aswell so I dont think its a quality issue.

I was taking about 5 grams a day I think, so not that much compared to alot of people.

I take it, one of the most important vital supplements I take. Literally could "feel" my insides healing every day. I definitely had leaky gut before.

Have you noticed any correlation between it and your acne?

MemberMember
(@autonomousone1980)

Posted : 01/27/2011 7:56 pm

its just an amino acid, its pretty safe. very unlikely it would do anything to your acne.

studies do show its role in intestinal permeability, thats a plus.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/27/2011 8:05 pm

Yeah Joe it cleared up my jawline/neck acne very well. I take 1000mg once a day.

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 01/27/2011 9:21 pm

its just an amino acid, its pretty safe. very unlikely it would do anything to your acne.

studies do show its role in intestinal permeability, thats a plus.

Thats what I thought but I dunno, I definately have broken out on the forehead and temple area while Ive been using it, although Im starting to think it might be something else thats caused it (the hat I go running in)

Yeah Joe it cleared up my jawline/neck acne very well. I take 1000mg once a day.

Thats good to hear, maybe im taking a bit too much either way, I might lighten the dosage a little

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/27/2011 9:25 pm

I never believe in anything excess. Everything in moderation! I take 200-400mg Solgar B5 every day and that is plenty for me. I see people taking grams! Insane! Balance...balance...

MemberMember
(@isaac-lee)

Posted : 01/28/2011 8:55 am

I never believe in anything excess. Everything in moderation! I take 200-400mg Solgar B5 every day and that is plenty for me. I see people taking grams! Insane! Balance...balance...

Yah, I have to agree with this, I know bodybuilders take like 5-10 grams, but I would say 500mg - 1 gram per day of L-Glut is enough.

BTW, Hoper, how much L-Glut do you take?

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 01/28/2011 10:56 am

Well Ive gone back on it again for now, im almost certain that it was the hat causing me to breakout on the forehead and temple.

Im going to be cautious though but I'll see how my forehead does these coming days.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/28/2011 11:08 am

Isaac, I take 1000mg once a day.

MemberMember
(@isaac-lee)

Posted : 01/28/2011 12:25 pm

Well Ive gone back on it again for now, im almost certain that it was the hat causing me to breakout on the forehead and temple.

Im going to be cautious though but I'll see how my forehead does these coming days.

How much are you going to take now??

And keep us updated.

Isaac, I take 1000mg once a day.

Alright, Did you take for LGS or bodybuilding?

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/28/2011 2:57 pm

I'm guessing LGS is leaky gut syndrome, if so yes, I took it for leaky gut. The fact that it helps your muscles repair and build is just an awesome plus! :D

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 01/28/2011 4:06 pm

some people will get acne taking l-glutamine on an empty stomach.

try mixing it with food. reduce the dosage in the beginning, it definitely helps heal your gut. the acne will go away quickly as soon as you drop this stuff.

MemberMember
(@isaac-lee)

Posted : 01/28/2011 5:31 pm

some people will get acne taking l-glutamine on an empty stomach.

try mixing it with food. reduce the dosage in the beginning, it definitely helps heal your gut. the acne will go away quickly as soon as you drop this stuff.

Could you clarify.

So do you mean to say that its good for your gut, BUT that it may cause acne so you should drop it soon after??

And what would you say a "low" dosage would be?

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/28/2011 5:55 pm

Believe is saying yes it is good for leaky gut, but MAY cause acne breakouts, so if your trying to heal your gut, as soon as you believe it is "healed", you can drop the supplements and your acne breakouts from the glutamine will stop, if the glutamine is even causing them to begin with.

Start with 500mg. Great low dose. Get a good brand.

MemberMember
(@isaac-lee)

Posted : 01/28/2011 6:35 pm

Believe is saying yes it is good for leaky gut, but MAY cause acne breakouts, so if your trying to heal your gut, as soon as you believe it is "healed", you can drop the supplements and your acne breakouts from the glutamine will stop, if the glutamine is even causing them to begin with.

Start with 500mg. Great low dose. Get a good brand.

Oh okay,

Are you still on them? or have you dropped them??

Also, what brand do you use??

MemberMember
(@and1)

Posted : 01/29/2011 8:11 am

i get acne from glutamine, so, once again, some people do get acne from glutamine, but it most definitely helps my gut heal. i take the stuff off and on, like 2 - 3 days straight and then drop it for a week or two.

low dosage would be 1000 mg.

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 02/09/2011 4:55 pm

Well its been a while now, ive been consistently taking glutamine (around 2 grams) every day pretty much, and my forehead is no longer breaking out, so im now almost sure that it was my hat causing my forehead/temple zits and not the glutamine.

MemberMember
(@joebloggs)

Posted : 03/14/2011 7:32 pm

Well its been even longer now and the past week or so Ive really upped my glutamine intake and right now my forehead and temple area has a whole bunch of zits.

On a smaller dose Id get zits here and there on the forehead but never enough at one time to become really noticable, so I retract my previous post and would like to say that glutamine definately does cause me to break out on the forehead and temple area.

Looks like im going to have to go back to a smaller dose then

MemberMember
(@jess1228)

Posted : 03/20/2011 1:37 pm

I just started on glutamine about two weeks ago for leaky gut. I was taking 500mg about every other day, but upped it to 1,000mg every day the last few days. At first I thought it was making me break out on my back, but then I realized it was due to a new detergent I was using. So far, I haven't noticed anything one way or the other with my facial acne.

Leaky gut is pretty much ruining my life -- I can barely eat anything anymore without breaking out or getting puffiness under my eyes. I feel like a prisoner in my own body with all of my food intolerances. :(

Has anyone successfully eliminated some or all food intolerances by using glutamine? I also take probiotics. My diet is very, very rigid -- I would love to be able to expand it a bit!

MemberMember
(@peter-scott)

Posted : 04/29/2019 8:25 am

Do you know someone who cured the leaky gut and candida acne eating only non starched vegetables, fish, chicken, meat, without using probiotic capsules, without using l glutamine, but eating too: beans, brown rice, fruits everyday?

Who have leaky gut said have these symptoms: pain in the belly, floating and gases. So, if someone have only the acne, folliculitis and dermatitis on the body without other symptoms, dont have leaky gut and dont need to do the leaky gut diet with L glutamine and probiotic capsules, right?

MemberMember
(@angeld9)

Posted : 08/24/2019 2:47 pm

I know this is an old thread but yes L-Glutamine can cause acne. My acne has been gone for a while, and I have had clear skin. But I have leaky gut (i'm pretty sure i have Sibo now, im getting a test done soon) and I took Glutamine and I got cystic acne. I didnt even have cystic acne before. Its only a few spots but they keep coming now and I am worried. So be careful. I've taken tons of supplements in the past until I found what worked for me, but nothing has ever caused such acne for me as Glutamine has.

MemberMember
(@anon854)

Posted : 01/25/2021 3:20 am

tried l-glutamine since i had read it can decrease acne. wound up with acne in one of myears and nostrils. caution!

MemberMember
(@milkysweet)

Posted : 01/25/2021 4:15 am

All I know it is a rich source of the amino acids leucine and glutamine. These amino acids can make skin cells grow and divide more quickly, which may contribute to the formation of acne. So I never taking it.