Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dayman

TCA cross - Scars look worse?

This was my first time doing TCA cross. 3 weeks after the scabs fell off, the scars look deeper, wider and still more noticeable. My once scared pores look like ice pick scars and i need some reassurance that my scars will look better. Seems like some see better results after 1 week or 2.

I would like to know if anyone's scars look worse after doing TCA cross and how long until it looked better and filled in.

Take a deep breath and be calm. This will require some patience from you. Some get instant improvement with the TCA cross and others must wait patiently to see the results. Apparently you and I are of the type that must wait patiently to see good results.

When I have done TCA cross, my scars always look larger, redder and more horrible for up to about 3-4 weeks after the scabs fall off, then the collagen production and remodeling takes off and I will start to see the improvements I was looking for. I have been TCA crossing three of my worst ice pick scars for the past few months (I have crossed each one twice and let them heal) and with time and healing, the results have been outstanding. I am incredibly pleased with this procedure and will continue until I have treated and improved all the ice picks on my face.

One scar I have been working on is almost gone and I would say is easily 90% improved. One more treatment in a few months (I am going to let it rest a bit from my aggressive treatment of it) and it will be gone. The other two scars I have been working on are in the healing and rapid remodelling stage still, but I am really liking what I am seeing and they were ugly, ugly after the TCA cross I last did on them. I only do one or two scars at a time because they do get so much uglier so it is not as noticeable.

Be patient and give your scars and collagen time to remodel and heal completely.

Take a deep breath and be calm. This will require some patience from you. Some get instant improvement with the TCA cross and others must wait patiently to see the results. Apparently you and I are of the type that must wait patiently to see good results.

When I have done TCA cross, my scars always look larger, redder and more horrible for up to about 3-4 weeks after the scabs fall off, then the collagen production and remodeling takes off and I will start to see the improvements I was looking for. I have been TCA crossing three of my worst ice pick scars for the past few months (I have crossed each one twice and let them heal) and with time and healing, the results have been outstanding. I am incredibly pleased with this procedure and will continue until I have treated and improved all the ice picks on my face.

One scar I have been working on is almost gone and I would say is easily 90% improved. One more treatment in a few months (I am going to let it rest a bit from my aggressive treatment of it) and it will be gone. The other two scars I have been working on are in the healing and rapid remodelling stage still, but I am really liking what I am seeing and they were ugly, ugly after the TCA cross I last did on them. I only do one or two scars at a time because they do get so much uglier so it is not as noticeable.

Be patient and give your scars and collagen time to remodel and heal completely.

Hey thanks,

Im glad I wasn't the only one. I went aggressive with the 100% TCA cross, pressed the toothpick down firmly for 3 seconds and thought maybe that was the contributing factor to my scars appearing worse. It pretty hard to keep the acid from touching the walls of the pit, and its seems like the toothpick fill in the entire scar when doing the cross. Your lucky you only have 3 pit scars, I think ive done about 300! :)

I'll definitely take your advice and be patient.

Guest katherineRandF

I use this spot fading toner and it gets rid of the acne scars and I love it. It's actually a full 3 step process that is fast and simple!

Wow Mr. Don! You are brave! Nice job though, you do good work. Did you just do all those? I would love to see pics through the healing stages, maybe once a week until they are done.

I might do more of my scars at the same time this summer like maybe up to 5 at a time when school is out, but I don't think I could do that many at once.

Maybe 150, I lost count. I wanted to do a few as a test, but I decided that I cant wait that long and might as well do all of them, I've got 6 months off. Im just praying that I did not do permanent damage, TCA is my last hope!

Mr. Don, I've came across that picture on google, don't know if thats your photo or not, if it is then well done.

No, that's not my pic. Found it on google too.

Just wanted to show how it looks like when treating 300 :D

Good luck with your progress !

How did you apply the TCA Cross? I pressed firmly into the scar. Maybe I should have just touch the scar with the acid?

I have had cross done by a dr. twice now. The dr. put the acid on for a second but I dont think she pressed firmly. I do believe though that she did it correctly.

I noticed that the scars looked worse for about 5-6 weeks. They became pigmented and stood out. Fortunately the pigment mostly went away. However, my scars did widen. None that were treated just disappeared like others here have noticed. My dr. told me that some respond well to it and others don't. Luckily I only had a few treated.

Give it time and see what the outcome will end up being for you.

Guest Timehealsall

i plan on doing tca cross, but ima do it only on one scar.

Guest Zapotee

I'm hoping you are doing much better... The skin is a resillient organ. Please make sure you keep the areas moisturized and wear sunscreen... it will heal.

I'm not trying to sound wise, but please, to all of you who are experimenting with doing these procedures on yourselves. Please be careful and understand that there is a HUGE likelihood that you will make things worse.

I know how desperate we get to find improvement but trust me, the world is not looking at us this closely.

Most recently, I asked 4 of my friends, who I consider to have perfect skin, to come over for a test, I thought the 'tane was messing with my mind because I was seeing severe scarring in my face... They know my struggles with my skin and obliged.

I ran their faces thru the same scrutiny I run my face and I found rolling scars, enlarged pores, pigmentation etc...

The point is that others don't see what we see....

Edited by Zapotee

Just a quick update, my skin can be deceiving, on some days its looks better (especially when i wake up in the morning) but other times it does look worse. My ice-pick scars looks more noticeable, although i am betting this on my aggressive technique. The indented scar on my cheek has somewhat improve a little, as wells as the hyper-pigmentation. I can't stress this enough, don't get the acid on the borders of the icepick scar. Base on my experience, the toothpick that is used should be sharpened so that that the tip can only touch the centre of the scar, it should not cover or fill in the entire scar. Just dip the tooth pick in gently into the scar, dont press down hard even though i read post and studies that say to do so, it did not work for me. I advise anyone planning to do TCA Cross to read the earlier posts when users on this board were starting to try this method.

Guest Timehealsall
I'm hoping you are doing much better... The skin is a resillient organ. Please make sure you keep the areas moisturized and wear sunscreen... it will heal.

I'm not trying to sound wise, but please, to all of you who are experimenting with doing these procedures on yourselves. Please be careful and understand that there is a HUGE likelihood that you will make things worse.

I know how desperate we get to find improvement but trust me, the world is not looking at us this closely.

Most recently, I asked 4 of my friends, who I consider to have perfect skin, to come over for a test, I thought the 'tane was messing with my mind because I was seeing severe scarring in my face... They know my struggles with my skin and obliged.

I ran their faces thru the same scrutiny I run my face and I found rolling scars, enlarged pores, pigmentation etc...

The point is that others don't see what we see....

zapotee, did you also find icepickish scars on their foreheads? i notice a lot of peple have these weird indents on the forehead.

Why didn't you do a test spot? Test spot is wise for treatments like this, lasers, etc. I did a test spot on one enlarge pore, self TCA cross with toothpick, and it made the enlarge pore even larger. It was about a year ago.

I also want to say I don't fully give in that TCA will plump up these scars or maybe it depends on the technique and TCA usage but I notice it just takes away more surface skin each time. I have this mole on my arm that pops out and did TCA on it several times. It no longer pops out and has faded greatly.

Just a quick update, my skin can be deceiving, on some days its looks better (especially when i wake up in the morning) but other times it does look worse. My ice-pick scars looks more noticeable, although i am betting this on my aggressive technique. The indented scar on my cheek has somewhat improve a little, as wells as the hyper-pigmentation. I can't stress this enough, don't get the acid on the borders of the icepick scar. Base on my experience, the toothpick that is used should be sharpened so that that the tip can only touch the centre of the scar, it should not cover or fill in the entire scar. Just dip the tooth pick in gently into the scar, dont press down hard even though i read post and studies that say to do so, it did not work for me. I advise anyone planning to do TCA Cross to read the earlier posts when users on this board were starting to try this method.

Hi dayman,

1) Any further updates on your improvements after TCA cross since our last PM?

2) And if let's say the scar is a pitted box-like scar...should the toothpick also be sharpened so that it reaches only the center? Because I gather from your comments and experience, it sounds like it's easy for a normal toothpick soaked with tca 100% to cover the entire scar, despite aiming only at the center.

3) So the idea is to apply TCA cross firmly (for 2 seconds?), but not like press down HARD into the skin, right?

Thank you for reading man...hope all goes well in your life~ =)

happy24

wow, i really like that picture, show those scars that they can't mess with you!

i used tca cross on boxcar/rolling scars and it is basically:

red for 1 day

scabs start to form next day

scabs fully formed by 2nd day

scabs start to fall off by 4th day

all scabs are gone by either the 5/6/7th day

i notice immediate results, so i must be extremely lucky!

i like tca cross so much that i think i even like the PAIN from it during the application!

Edited by Brawn

wow, i really like that picture, show those scars that they can't mess with you!

red for 1 day

i like tca cross so much that i think i even like the PAIN from it during the application!

Hello Brawn,

Can you please share how you apply TCA cross on rolling scars? I mean after all, they have broad and wavy surface.

So you noticed immediate results? How much improvement did you see?

Thanks for reading... ^_^

red for 1 day

Brawn, update please.

Also, are you sure the immediate results aren't from swelling?

Brawn tautes TCA as some kinda wonder treatment. Yet, when pressed he never divulges any detailed information about procedure, strength, etc.

In my opinion Brawn is just a FANBOY with only useless statements of approval.

Brawn is like the people on Amazon who review a product based on whether they received it in a timely fashion or not, instead of really detailing the question at hand.

BRAWN your veteran status is a sham and only denotes the time you have spent on this board and does not represent the ammount of help you have given.

Brawn tautes TCA as some kinda wonder treatment. Yet, when pressed he never divulges any detailed information about procedure, strength, etc.

In my opinion Brawn is just a FANBOY with only useless statements of approval.

Brawn is like the people on Amazon who review a product based on whether they received it in a timely fashion or not, instead of really detailing the question at hand.

BRAWN your veteran status is a sham and only denotes the time you have spent on this board and does not represent the ammount of help you have given.

LOL, he/she does push TCA hard.

I think is really brave on people who does that.

Some people do get scars from scabs, some people get rid of their scars doing it less agressive but many times...

people who wants to go deep and tend to scar will eventually make things worse.