Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mindwitch

can eating salmon cause an acne breakout?

i just had my first salmon dinner last night. and when i woke up my face was littered with pimples. usually when i eat something bad i am immiediately punished facially for it. is this a sign? please help i thought salmon would reduce my acne.

i had salmon for the first time last friday and woke to a breakout on sat as well...hmmmm

apparently there are some ingredients in salmon that cause some people to breakout and others to improve there acne. arent we the lucky ones.

apparently there are some ingredients in salmon that cause some people to breakout and others to improve there acne. arent we the lucky ones.

What are these "ingredients" you speak of? Salmon only has 1 ingredient and that's salmon.

There's nothing in "real" (by real I mean organic, wild-caught) salmon that can make you break out as far as anyone knows. Unless you have an allergy to fish, it should actually HELP your acne due to the Omega 3s.

Also what did you eat the salmon with? Just like a slab of it or did you eat it with potatoes or bread or anything else? Did you use any toppings? What were you drinking?

Call me skeptical, but I refuse to believe one of nature's most perfect foods gives you acne.

Edited by chunkylard

you don't have to believe a damn thing. the thread wasn't designed for your benefit.the iodine content of salmon and some other seafoods is high.there are some acne sufferers whos skin reacts to high iodine. i didn't have any bread or potatoes with it im not an idiot. nor did a lather my salmon in corn syrup. i simply had salmon with romaine lettuce and water.

Edited by Mindwitch

He wasn't jumping on your case Mindwitch. Just an enjoyer of salmon asking questions.

Salmon is actually very low in Iodine. And mercury. It's one of the lowest seafoods you can eat. Tuna and shellfish are much higher.

Salmon is great for your skin, but again everything in moderation. Having salmon 2-4 times a week is great for you.

Was it wild salmon or farmed? Yes, they do farm salmon (and sardines, tuna) and feed them grains and soy. Can you imagine what the fish thinks of that? WTF. Stay far away from that garbage. The taste is horrible too.

Otherwise it's probably the added salt / vegetable oils. I was reading some cans of fish the other day and some were like 30 percent vegetable oil. Might as well chug some detergent.

Was the salmon you ate from a can? Cause canned foods can have some chemical that makes them have toxins.

you don't have to believe a damn thing. the thread wasn't designed for your benefit.the iodine content of salmon and some other seafoods is high.there are some acne sufferers whos skin reacts to high iodine. i didn't have any bread or potatoes with it im not an idiot. nor did a lather my salmon in corn syrup. i simply had salmon with romaine lettuce and water.

Whoaaaa. You're out of control. Must be that iodine having an adverse reaction with your brain. y u mad tho?

That iodine thing again? I swear, every other month someone brings up that iodine thing. Unless you're consuming iodine through extra supplementation, it's extremely difficult to get too much since your thyroid uses it up so fast. Not to mention, an entire medium-sized salmon has less than half of the RDA for Iodine and certainly less than a lot of other seafood items.

I say go to an organic fish market, buy some real salmon and then judge whether or not it's the salmon making you break out. If it is the salmon, which I personally doubt, then it might be something more serious like a mild seafood allergy.

Was it wild salmon or farmed? Yes, they do farm salmon (and sardines, tuna) and feed them grains and soy. Can you imagine what the fish thinks of that? WTF. Stay far away from that garbage. The taste is horrible too.

Otherwise it's probably the added salt / vegetable oils. I was reading some cans of fish the other day and some were like 30 percent vegetable oil. Might as well chug some detergent.

This. I bought some canned "tuna in water" the other day. I looked at the ingredients when I got home and saw that for some strange reason it had soy in it. Threw that crap out right away. What a silly oversight that would have been if I ate it.

Edited by chunkylard

canned fish is VERY VERY high in histamines which is something you want to avoid and for me causes an acne reaction.

Wild salmon is the only one to eat, farm raised sucks.

Edited by DeAntonio

interesting thoughts about canned fish...i too had a reaction last week after eating salmon the first time. I ate it with steamed veggies and a glass of water...no bread or alcohol like my husband ate. Ive often ate canned tuna with mayo on celery sticks and thougth i was doing a good thing by eliminating the bread but every time i ate it i got some sort of hive/bump later on that day...Never thougth soy or the high histamine could be the trigger. Guess i shouldnt switch to soy like my ob/gyn suggested due to low estrogen...hmmm food for thought

You can buy great canned salmon. I would never buy Tuna, it's never top quality. I buy top quality tuna in a can, red wild alaskan, it's 3 bucks a can. There is no ingredients but wild alaskan red salmon. You drain the can, and it is very..very good stuff. Ive had pink salmon and other salmon in cans, WOW. This is night and day difference.

But yeah if I have the money I always get fillets.

Calm down there.. maybe your temper is what caused it.

Was the salmon you ate from a can? Cause canned foods can have some chemical that makes them have toxins.

no sweetie,it wasn't canned. it was fresh from the no frills meat section sealed up and everything. it was pink and that thing cost me 9 bucks. nine bucks to break me out. how lovely.

Edited by Mindwitch

Whoaaaa. You're out of control. Must be that iodine having an adverse reaction with your brain. y u mad tho?

That iodine thing again? I swear, every other month someone brings up that iodine thing. Unless you're consuming iodine through extra supplementation, it's extremely difficult to get too much since your thyroid uses it up so fast. Not to mention, an entire medium-sized salmon has less than half of the RDA for Iodine and certainly less than a lot of other seafood items.

I say go to an organic fish market, buy some real salmon and then judge whether or not it's the salmon making you break out. If it is the salmon, which I personally doubt, then it might be something more serious like a mild seafood allergy.

you acuse me of being mentally insane from iodine and then expect me to take your advice on further polluting my skin by trying more salmon? i'll gulp some more salmon when you deepthroat a bucket of that soy filled tuna!

is that the same reason why your face is drenched in pimples as well?

is that the same reason why your face is drenched in pimples as well?

Nice try.. i'm 100% clear right now. hehe :clap:

i REALLY doubt that. especially when your most recent post says differently pimplerella. :cool:

Edited by Mindwitch

I don't know why... but this screams trolling to me.

Here's a thought: maybe you are allergic (mildly) to salmon, or sea food. Stop freaking out over this shit. I highly doubt that the natural iodine content in salmon would cause a severe breakout the next day. This is just ridiculous... :rolleyes:

Here's a thought: maybe you are allergic (mildly) to salmon, or sea food. Stop freaking out over this shit. I highly doubt that the natural iodine content in salmon would cause a severe breakout the next day. This is just ridiculous... :rolleyes:

I sense troll too, seriously he wrote this in another thread..

when i was younger i use to chew dentyne gum while i slept because it made my teeth extremely white. i stopped doing that but wanted to get back in the habit again so i was wondering. would it aggravate my skin?

I remember that, I believe I posted in there lol.

Too many trolls on this website. Uhg.

you acuse me of being mentally insane from iodine and then expect me to take your advice on further polluting my skin by trying more salmon? i'll gulp some more salmon when you deepthroat a bucket of that soy filled tuna!

I don't expect anything from you. After reading your initial post, I can safely say that any "expectations" I may have had the mistake of forming have gone out the window along with your sanity, it seems.

If you don't want to take my advice, that's fine. Just cut out fish completely from your diet.

Haha! You might have hit the nail on the head there. People are always saying that stress can break people out. Also LOL, she called you pimplerella. That's such a silly insult. I'm gonna use that whenever I don't like someone now.

Edited by chunkylard

i'm trolling because i don't appreciate people saying my views on why i broke out are a result of "insanity" and me being "ridiculous"? how idiotic. another poster on this very thread remarked about having the same reaction to salmon as well. clearly theres a connection. just because you choose not to believe it doesn't mean its not true. my skin was absolutely flawless this week! TRULY FLAWLESS! [unlike your EXTREMELY photo shopped avatar] and the minute i had salmon for dinner the very next morning i awoke with an intense breakout. you can go online and find that other people have had similar reactions to salmon as well.

I sense troll too, seriously he wrote this in another thread..

when i was younger i use to chew dentyne gum while i slept because it made my teeth extremely white. i stopped doing that but wanted to get back in the habit again so i was wondering. would it aggravate my skin?

what is trollish about that? it was a serious question. but apparently questions about things aggravating skin aren't allowed to be asked unless you want to be verbally assaulted by every poster that comes across your thread.

Edited by Mindwitch

Again, you are probably experiencing a reaction to salmon/sea food. Meaning that your BODY does not like it, and can react with acne.

Or hey, maybe you have some weird twisted notion in your head that any amount of iodine is basically like poison and will instantly break you out, thus your body creates a physiological response to that in the form of breakouts.

Either way.

And my avatar picture is from 2008, when I was relatively clear, and a time in which I ate lots and lots of salmon and other foods chalk-full of iodine, without using anything for my acne.

Seriously, what the hell is with your abuse toward people who post pictures of themselves while their skin is/was clear, or anyone for that matter who posts something that opposes your own view, and state that they must be chalk-full of acne? Kind of ridiculous.

As for that person who stated they had a similar reaction, here's my response: correlation doesn't equal causation. Meaning there are SO many factors that you could be missing, or you could be ignoring any other obvious reason as to why you broke out which just happened to coincide with your eating salmon.

I swear, people in this section are the strangest when it comes to what can potentially break them out and their reactions to things are just way out of hand.