Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NodFlenders

I'm thinking of using the tanning beds..

Because my skin still sucks thanks to redmarks and I'm almost 7 months post accutane!

My pale skin is just making my redmarks look even worse, so I'm thinking of using the tanning beds a couple of times a month for the next 8-12 weeks until I can just start getting a real tan. What do you think guys?

I've also been thinking of asking my doc for retin-a, but I really don't know if I can go through another god knows how many months of dry, red, sensitive skin. I had enough of that crap on accutane and for many months after.

I know the risks of sun beds, but could using them about half a dozen times in a few months really do damage?

I'm not really answering your question but I thought you might want to know.

Many people have said that after getting a tan red marks show up more, the pigmentation attracts more sun and the pigmentation actually gets darker faster than your skin will tan.

And also retin-a is the same as Accutane and it is recommended that you avoid the sun when you are using it.

What I've done in the past (and I'm not telling you to use or not to use a tanning bed!) was to put a dab of sunscreen over any red marks and then tan, so the existing red marks don't get darker and your overall tone matches a lot more. JUST a thought.

i know i know tanning is terrible, but it helps my face look better as far as the scars/pigmentation go. I am NOT a heavy tanner and only tan a little bit in the summer, but enjoy time outdoors as well, so I get some "real" tanning as well.

in the long run, tanning is very damaging to the skin but if you do it in moderation, you should be ok.

But please note that retin a + the sun = PAINFUL BURNS. You MUST stay out of the sun or tanning beds if you are using that. Its no joke. you will burn, badly.

be safe <3

Ahh please don't! Tanning will darken ALL your skin, and while it might make your marks seem lighter temporarily, when the tan fades, the marks will be even darker and more stubborn. I know a few people who have gone this route, and ended up constantly tanning for years to keep their marks hidden. It's a vicious cycle: the tan will stop your marks from healing, and you may feel the need to keep tanning, which is just so so bad for you. Maybe consider a skin lightening cream or treatment instead?

Tanning severly ages the skin. What may look 'good' in the short term will make you look really bad when you're older.

Stay pale.

Your acne will go away one day.

Your wrinkles will not.

I don't think there is any such thing as tanning in 'moderation'. Tanning is a sign the skin is damaged and your body is trying to repair it. My dad has had skin cancers burnt off since he was 21 and I know (or heard of) many other people who have skin cancer. Scary stuff.

"I know the risks of sun beds, but could using them about half a dozen times in a few months really do damage?" Yes, I'm fairly sure sunbeds are more highly concentrated then sunlight and so are just as bad or worse then sitting out on the beach at midday.

Why not just use a fake tan or a good concealer?

Sorry to repeat everyone else's warnings but I get so angry when I see people purposely sunbathing. Getting skin cancers burnt off is not pretty, nor is finding out you (or your loved one) has a melanoma.

Edited by Hyacinthe

I know how frustrating red marks can be. My red marks are still with me and I've been clear for about 6 months from the Regimen. What keeps me going is my before picture and now, there's such a drastic decline in the red marks and I haven't been doing anything...other than liberally applying SPF so they do not get darker!

Like the others have said tanning will not only make the marks darker, but damage all of your skin as well. I never actively tanned when I was young and had 3 precancerous lesions razored off of me when I was 18, yes 18. My scars are thankfully on my back, I would hate to think of having to have big lumpy scars from biopsies on my face. The red marks will fade, but the wrinkles and cancer biopsy scars will not.

I always reply to these tanning topics but the OP never replies to me. I'm never mean... I agree with everyone who says it's a no go. But you probably won't change your mind I am guessing? Give it some real thought... your health will thank you.

I tan maybe 4 times a month in the lowest bed for 10 minutes. I used to put a towel over my face (because I was on antibiotics, but I'm not anymore). Now lately I've been going without covering my face, but putting on moisturizer SPF 15 before I tan.

I can positively say it hasn't aggravated my acne anymore. So many people say it will make your Red Marks much worse, but it has only made mine better. It has evened my skin tone which is essentially fading my red marks.

I'm not here to tell everyone to go out and indoor tan, but for me atleast, It hasn't made my red marks worse, nor worsened my acne.

I tan maybe 4 times a month in the lowest bed for 10 minutes. I used to put a towel over my face (because I was on antibiotics, but I'm not anymore). Now lately I've been going without covering my face, but putting on moisturizer SPF 15 before I tan.

I can positively say it hasn't aggravated my acne anymore. So many people say it will make your Red Marks much worse, but it has only made mine better. It has evened my skin tone which is essentially fading my red marks.

I'm not here to tell everyone to go out and indoor tan, but for me atleast, It hasn't made my red marks worse, nor worsened my acne.

Wait until your tan fades, though...The marks will probably still be there. It's a very temporary solution, and bad for your health.

Because my skin still sucks thanks to redmarks and I'm almost 7 months post accutane!

My pale skin is just making my redmarks look even worse, so I'm thinking of using the tanning beds a couple of times a month for the next 8-12 weeks until I can just start getting a real tan. What do you think guys?

I've also been thinking of asking my doc for retin-a, but I really don't know if I can go through another god knows how many months of dry, red, sensitive skin. I had enough of that crap on accutane and for many months after.

I know the risks of sun beds, but could using them about half a dozen times in a few months really do damage?

from my own experience everytime i tan when i went to the beach my skin look like if i never had acne in my life, everytime i look in the mirror i was like OH SHIT! LOOK AT MY SKIN! YOU CAN BARELY SEE MY PIMPLES AND SOME LITTLE MARKS i was like oh my goodness i never had flawless skin only when i tan.

i didn´t tan unpurpose, i just went to the beach to have fun then i start it to realize my tanning in the mirror, tanning is not good but it helps you to hide the acne pretty good. you just have to tan good not alot.

I tan really easily and my red marks were virtually gone during the summer. I never tan on 'purpose', but I am very active during the summer and am outside all the time. I do not recommend tanning. You should try this. Weigh your options before you resort to tanning. It's not worth it.

I know the topic here is skincare...but part of your regimen should be consistent with long term health. And in this sense, tanning may be looked at a little differently.

There is so much research and most recently (amidst crazy media frenzy condemning tanning) that shows the benefits of moderate UV exposure (yes including indoor tanning...it is the same UV as the sun by the way) has many benefits. One poster admitted above that she had medical issues with her skin even though she didn't tan. Vitamin D is necessary for your internal health and many women are deficient in this. Because people walk around with SPF on all day and don't get natural sunlight, many people suffer needlessly with everything from Hyper tension to higher lung cancer rates, issues with healthy pregnancies, etc...

Most dermatologists have indoor tanning beds but charge huge rates for their use because they say that you can never understand what is a healthy does of UV. Well you can with some education. They understand this, but lost their exclusivity back in the 80's.

UVA and UVB radiation through the sun or indoor tanning can be harmful if you do not apply wisdom and knowledge appropriately, long term. However, melanin which is only produced as you get exposure is your body's way of protecting your skin. Like everything in life...there are no perfectly simple answers... If you run to far one way (tan every day), you can have problems and if you run too far the other way (no sun) you will have different problems but just as serious.

Those of you who post things like "I never" or "Always" should apply some wisdom to your choices in my opinion. You will realize that in moderation, tanning can produce many positive scientific effects on your skin, mood, metabolism and overall long term health.

By the way, I agree that a little sunblock on spots when tanning is a good idea.

We own a tanning and skin care spa and are very much invested in the overall health and happiness of our client family.