Notifications
Clear all

My Gluten/Dairy Free Journey: 1 Week

MemberMember
(@cakeonaplate)

Posted : 01/19/2011 6:54 pm

So

After not washing my face with topicals, I am still getting some major acne. The Cavewoman routine is not going to be my cure-all, I believe. But I am glad that I am keeping my skin routine simple.

One sunny Sunday afternoon, I decided to eat biscuits for breakfast, a scone and cappuccino for lunch and pasta for dinner. The next day I woke up with about five NEW painful pimples on my face, and about the same amount of painful guys on my back. Horrible! I am ready to change my diet.

Gluten to me, is convenient, but it doesn't even taste that good. Even when hungry, I would rather eat some rice noodles....I am going to take this internal guidance and eat lotsa whole foods this week.

Starting today, I have not eaten gluten, and it is easier than I thought.

for breakfast, two Lara bars...GO DATES.

Lunch, whole can of lentil soup.

Already, I can tell that I am not eating enough, so I am going to go shopping tomorrow, to stock up.

At the dining hall (yayy college...) I had chicken, along with heaping piles of brown rice and cooked spinach. OMG, i forgot how delicious whole foods are....OMG!!!

So I really enjoyed today being gluten-free. My day started off beyond horrible (I get so depressed sometimes...I am praying that this change in diet is going to help my moods!)

and then got progressively better. My insides are just humming from eating all that amazing food. I am still drooling over dinner...yum!

Oh, and my energy level is much better today, and I am excited about that. After having a horrible day, I had the energy to clear off my car of snow and do laundry...and I have energy to spare.

I am praying (and I am not even religious...) that this change in diet is going to help with sleep. I have a HORRIBLE time falling asleep, and I remember in the past, being gluten free and having lovely sleep....we shall see!

So to anyone out there who is enjoying the gluten-free lifestyle...

1) what is your favorite food to eat?

2) what benefits, besides clear skin, have you enjoyed?

focousing on the good things will give me something to look forward to :)

Cheers!

Katy

MemberMember
(@lvl2)

Posted : 01/19/2011 7:02 pm

I don't think that my favorite foods have too much affect on my skin, i.e. strawberries, pineapple. They just make me happy.

But for some diet choices:

Try Ezekiel bread! I know it looks scary, but toast it and gets way yummier and edible haha! I am not sure what type of milk-substitute you are using, but taste wise I love Almond Breeze! It's also a much better alternative than Soy which is controversial for it's hormone mimicking properties. Trader Joe's makes awesome rice pastas and spaghetti that could fool most people into thinking it's the real thing. (Don't add salt or oil while cooking or they'll get too soft.)

MemberMember
(@cakeonaplate)

Posted : 01/20/2011 7:55 pm

Alright, day, two :)

its started out, rough. After sleeping in crazy late, and then having trouble making rice (WHY did i leave my rice cooker at home when i left for school? I need it...), I had no other option than to eat a little wheat : /

I had a roast beef sandwich made with cheese by my roommate (o the communal love!) so that I could make it to my appointment on time. I got lost to the appt but that is another story.

I had a feeling that gluten effects my moods, and I was right, I was downright ready to cry while getting lost. But, hope prevails. On the way home I grabbed some much-needed supplies and stocked my pantry with brown rice, veggies, juice, and soy milk. ( i know i know, I am going to try almond milk soon, but it was there so i grabbed it...)

After settling in, and a snack of a KIND bar (nuts and such) and a big glass of soy milk, I took a nap. For like three hours (I am going to buy one of those sun lamps soon I guess that they help you feel less tired. I am sure my aloe plants could use the fake sun too!!)

I felt SO different after the nap. Really energised. So I made a dinner of chickpeas, onions, and bell peppers with rice (i did it this time!!!). IT WAS AWESOME. My appetite is MUCH better on gluten free foods. Its just easy to eat, so lovely. Had some black berries and green juice for dessert. My body feels refreshed and energised!

Tomorrow, I am hoping to make an awesome breakfast, and go to the local co-op, where I can pick up some spelt bread and other gluten-free goodies. Also on the look out for gluten-free cookies!! They also sell those sun lamps, so I am going to have lotsa presents tomorrow :)

Yes, avoiding gluten, is making me feel more energised and in a better mood. Awesome. My skin is a little bit itchy, and I have been touching it a bit, but not nearly as bad as a few days ago after my gluten-spree per se. I am hoping that eating better will help with the inflamation and irritation that would cause me to pick.

we shall see!!

I also hope that by the end of the week I don't feel too bored/depraved either.

Any one have any recipes for good gluten-free comfort food?

Favorite gluten-free recipe blogs??!?

Katie

MemberMember
(@cakeonaplate)

Posted : 01/20/2011 7:58 pm

@Lv12, I am definitely going to be trying those foods soon!!

in high school my friend only bought ezekiel bread, and i loved eating it sooo very much!

I tried spelt bread recently at a friends house, and its so delicious!!

And I am def going to try rice pasta soon!

the first time I tried gluten free I was a bit of a nazi and didn't allow any other carb except rice and potatoes.

It is time to explore my options!

MemberMember
(@cakeonaplate)

Posted : 01/22/2011 1:57 pm

yesterday was good, with a few bits of brownie and cookie in between solid gluten/dairy free meals.

a solid improvement in moods isn't here yet, but my skin SORTA feels better.

The big, angry painful guys have gone down. But I look at my skin and it just looks broke out all over. I am frustrated. I am going to give the no-wash thing one more month, tops, and then try a topical. Its frustrating : /

a short update, but I am lazy. wil report something more interesting tomorrow!

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/22/2011 2:57 pm

Gluten Free is the way to go. I'm sorry but right now quite busy and can't give you a long detailed post. But it cured a lot for me. I had mental problems such as Anxiety, mainly social anxiety, mood swings, insomnia, see your having sleep troubles as well, and depression. Since changing my diet around a year ago, I have changed my life. My mental health has improved insanely, and there isn't one night that I don't sleep like a baby. Just remember to stay on a normal routine. I sleep 12-8 everyday. And when your sleeping, sleep is PITCH BLACK. I have black out curtains, it's very important for melaton (sp?) and hormones/acne.

My favorite food? Everything I eat I love, but I would have to say my morning bowl of Quinoa or Steel Cut Oats. I get the gluten free kind from Bob Red Mills. Slow cook them, and add my home made milk. I also add blueberries. Yeah it's amazing as it sounds. I need to update my signature, I cut out the oatmeal finding out that there is actually quite a bit of gluten in it.

Bob Red Mill is amazing. They have one of the greatest gluten free factories in the world. I buy their gluten free steel cut oats, quinoa, Millet, Flaxseed, flaxseed meal, lentils, coconut, whole bunch of stuff.

Good luck!

MemberMember
(@jamie-sue)

Posted : 09/25/2012 8:23 pm

Hey it's been over a year, how did the gluten diet go?! I wanna start and luckily my two favorite foods I could never give up are gluten free! Also I prefer rice over pasta anyway!

MemberMember
(@tingmothy)

Posted : 12/27/2012 5:09 pm

So

After not washing my face with topicals, I am still getting some major acne. The Cavewoman routine is not going to be my cure-all, I believe. But I am glad that I am keeping my skin routine simple.

One sunny Sunday afternoon, I decided to eat biscuits for breakfast, a scone and cappuccino for lunch and pasta for dinner. The next day I woke up with about five NEW painful pimples on my face, and about the same amount of painful guys on my back. Horrible! I am ready to change my diet.

Gluten to me, is convenient, but it doesn't even taste that good. Even when hungry, I would rather eat some rice noodles....I am going to take this internal guidance and eat lotsa whole foods this week.

Starting today, I have not eaten gluten, and it is easier than I thought.

for breakfast, two Lara bars...GO DATES.

Lunch, whole can of lentil soup.

Already, I can tell that I am not eating enough, so I am going to go shopping tomorrow, to stock up.

At the dining hall (yayy college...) I had chicken, along with heaping piles of brown rice and cooked spinach. OMG, i forgot how delicious whole foods are....OMG!!!

So I really enjoyed today being gluten-free. My day started off beyond horrible (I get so depressed sometimes...I am praying that this change in diet is going to help my moods!)

and then got progressively better. My insides are just humming from eating all that amazing food. I am still drooling over dinner...yum!

Oh, and my energy level is much better today, and I am excited about that. After having a horrible day, I had the energy to clear off my car of snow and do laundry...and I have energy to spare.

I am praying (and I am not even religious...) that this change in diet is going to help with sleep. I have a HORRIBLE time falling asleep, and I remember in the past, being gluten free and having lovely sleep....we shall see!

So to anyone out there who is enjoying the gluten-free lifestyle...

1) what is your favorite food to eat?

2) what benefits, besides clear skin, have you enjoyed?

focousing on the good things will give me something to look forward to smile.gif

Cheers!

Katy

hey it's been over a year. how is your gluten-diet going? update please! :)