Notifications
Clear all

Using castor oil topically

MemberMember
(@redripe)

Posted : 01/19/2011 1:15 pm

I've heard mixed reviews about the OCM. Some people say it saved them, others say it permanently damaged their skin. This thread isn't about that, so I'd like to avoid those responses.

What I'd like to know is whether (high-quality, hexane free) castor oil is safe to use topically. I thought it was fine, but this little blurb in wiki made me wonder:

The castor seed contains ricin, a toxic protein. Harvesting castor beans is not without risk.[5] Allergenic compounds found on the plant surface can cause permanent nerve damage, making the harvest of castor beans a human health risk. India, Brazil, and China are the major crop producers, and the workers suffer harmful side effects from working with these plants.[6] These health issues, in addition to concerns about the toxic byproduct (ricin) from castor oil production, have encouraged the quest for alternative sources for hydroxy fatty acids.[7][8] Alternatively, some researchers are trying to genetically modify the castor plant to prevent the synthesis of ricin.[9]

It sounds like the oil is just fine, but the ricin is a toxic byproduct from the oil production? I don't want to use it if it's potentially harmful, or if the production is harming someone else. Does anyone know more about this?

MemberMember
(@celloislove)

Posted : 01/19/2011 11:56 pm

I BELIEVE that the toxic compound is only found in the bean, not the oil. I can't give you a source, but I remember doing some research on it a while back because I had the same concern.

Either way, I have been oil cleansing with pure castor oil for about 3 weeks with great results. I'm not perfectly clear, bit it hasn't aggravated any new breakouts, and what I have are small blackhead type things that previously existed anyway. It's done great thigns for the health of my skin though and for my red marks. I've used castor oil as an addition to moisturizers (when I was on DKR for example) and for my hands/nails/eyes for years now, and I haven't ever experienced adverse effects.

Good luck :]

MemberMember
(@yaynewday)

Posted : 08/09/2013 1:00 pm

Hi everyone! I got a large bottle of Home Health castor oil because of the great reviews of castor oil I read on here. I had tried coconut oil earlier in the summer, and my pores got super clogged and my skin got more oily than ever (although I wonder if I just used it incorrectly). I'm starting to get super oily again with the castor oil. Should I be using it as a cleanser with olive oil, before or after cleansing? Or should I just use it as a spot treatment? Is it only good for cystic acne or clogged pores of any variety? Thanks!

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 08/09/2013 5:51 pm

There's no ricin in the oil. It's incredibly toxic. You would die if there was any, especially since castor oil carries compounds through your skin.

Hi everyone! I got a large bottle of Home Health castor oil because of the great reviews of castor oil I read on here. I had tried coconut oil earlier in the summer, and my pores got super clogged and my skin got more oily than ever (although I wonder if I just used it incorrectly). I'm starting to get super oily again with the castor oil. Should I be using it as a cleanser with olive oil, before or after cleansing? Or should I just use it as a spot treatment? Is it only good for cystic acne or clogged pores of any variety? Thanks!

Olive oil can clog pores for some. Castor is one of the safest oils to use on your face. Also, unless you're not washing it completely off, the castor oil should dry your skin. I would only really use oils as cleansers, and not spot treatments. Oils in general are better for clogged pores, but this is not everyone's experience.

I cleanse with castor oil sometimes by just rubbing it onto my face (sometimes after washing with a mild soap, but I don't think that's necessary), leaving it there for a bit, and then wiping it gently off with a warm/wet washcloth.

MemberMember
(@yaynewday)

Posted : 08/10/2013 11:41 am

Wow, thank you so much for explaining that! What do you think of coconut oil and how it should be used?

MemberMember
(@quetzlcoatl)

Posted : 08/15/2013 4:00 pm

Coconut oil, being a mostly saturated fat, is more likely to block pores. I wouldn't recommend using it.

MemberMember
(@alternativista)

Posted : 08/16/2013 8:00 am

Use safflower for its high linoleic acid content, a major component of sebum that functions a it should in healthy skin.