Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gMARIAs

Amazing Grass - Acne Safe?

So, recently I've had so little time on my hands that I haven't had any free time to prep good meals. I've been eating very little lately and my intake of vegetables has dropped dramatically. I just don't have the time to even shop for them and when I'd shop for a one week supply, I had so little time to prep large salads or make decent meals, that the food just sits there and goes bad by the time I try to use it.

In order to combat this lack of nutrients, I figured I might consider picking up a supplement of sorts. My team lead at work mentioned that he uses a powdered superfood mixture. He does a lot of lifting and uses one with a lot of added protein, so I really didn't want to try his choice out, but I did discover something that I've seen has had very little negative reviews: Amazing Grass Superfoods. A lot of people seemingly like the flavor and quite a few have reported "energy boosts". Placebo? Who knows?

I just know I want some nutrients! I took a look at the ingredients list for the chocolate flavor and found some pretty good ingredients. However, a few have me a little concerned about experimenting with it.

It has Green Tea. I don't care much for the caffeine and I've had bad experiences with green tea in the past. Then again, I was drinking a lot of it, so perhaps a little wouldn't have such a negative impact. It also has organic oat fiber and F.O.S. (prebiotic). ALL grains seem to break me out - even oats. Though, I've never tried simply oat fiber and the Amazing Grass is gluten free so maybe I've just been experimenting with contaminated oats. I just don't' like the idea of F.O.S. period. I wish it weren't in there at all.

I haven't experimented too heavily with these products and am uncertain as to whether or not they may cause a breakout. I'm well aware just eating the regular foods would be MUCH more beneficial, but until we get the abundance of work done at my job and I can stop putting in excessive hours of overtime, it simply isn't happening.

So opinions! Are Superfoods so super for acne prone folk?

I'm really curious about how stable the different antioxidants are. I know some are very unstable when exposed to oxygen and light,which is why the vitamin C in orange juice is supposedly crap after a week.

When something is in powder form,it seems like it would be quite more vulnerable to oxidation.This is why I drink whole leaf green tea as opposed to the bagged stuff.

There's many different types of antioxidants,though :shrug:

I'm really curious about how stable the different antioxidants are. I know some are very unstable when exposed to oxygen and light,which is why the vitamin C in orange juice is supposedly crap after a week.

When something is in powder form,it seems like it would be quite more vulnerable to oxidation.This is why I drink whole leaf green tea as opposed to the bagged stuff.

There's many different types of antioxidants,though :shrug:

Well, I don't think it's exposed to light as it's in an air tight, opaque container. I'm honestly more concerned with just general nutrients provided. I'm not sure though...

I'd rather not have anything in powder form as the whole counterpart is unarguably better for you. I just need a small container of something to hold me over until I can find the time to prep good foods again.

My sister takes that stuff. I went and checked it out myself, and definitely would get it but it was so expensive so I passed. I'm VERY picky on what I put in my body, so if I would do it, you should be good as well haha. If ya got the cash, do it.

My sister takes that stuff. I went and checked it out myself, and definitely would get it but it was so expensive so I passed. I'm VERY picky on what I put in my body, so if I would do it, you should be good as well haha. If ya got the cash, do it.

I ordered the sample pack of both the regular superfoods and the "kidz" versions. The kids ones actually contain some added sugar, but seem to have a lot more fruits and veggies in them.

Altogether, I'm getting 9 packets for $5. They didn't charge me shipping? Amazon sells it cheaper than the actual site and it's cheaper online generally speaking than it is in stores. It's kind of pricey but, I doubt I'll use it as a supplement for real fruits and veggies and probably won't continue it after my time frees up a bit

Oh what? The superfoods I seen in stores was the little tub, like grapefruit size, and it was 30 bucks.

These were simply sample packs that were $2.99. You get four different packets.

Some greens/whole foods powders have been found to be adulterated with lead/cadmium, etc. by independent testing. Beyond that the health claims are really wishy washy. I mean, all the volatile compounds are pretty much obliterated by drying/powdering, and the antioxidants are unlikely to survive that kind of processing. They might even be harmful, considering "rancid" antioxidants can actually increase oxidative stress.

However, Amazing Greens was tested as safe (in terms of heavy metal contamination) by Consumer Labs, so you made a good choice at least.

You should consider frozen vegetables - they're a life saver. Never go bad, instantly ready when you need them. So easy to pop in the microwave and gobble down. There's reason to believe they're even better than fresh in most cases (riper when picked, don't degrade during shipping or in your fridge).

Or green-smoothies? A lot easier than cooking, if getting the veggies down your gullet is your main goal.

FOS never causes problems for me, though I can eat even conventionally prepared beans with impunity. I wouldn't worry about it - at the worst, it'll cause some gas. There's documented research of its benefits.