Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hoping for Clarity

Experience with Perioral Dermatitis Treatment Time

I have been dealing with perioral dermatitis for the past 3 months, and hormonal acne for the past year (since my miscarriage). I am on birth control to help with the hormonal acne and it seems to be working pretty well. My main issue is the PD and getting rid of it.

I went to the dermatologist 6 weeks ago and she prescribed 115mg Solodyn for 12 weeks. I am on week 6 and the PD is 90% gone but I am still getting a few bumps every few days.

At first I think I was scrubbing my skin to hard and for the past 2 weeks, have been mor gentle. I also recently switched from Proactiv cleanser to Neutrogena (no SLS and no parabens) but I know it will take a bit to see results from that. I wear no makeup and use no moisturlizers. I eat a very healthy diet and exercise regularly.

I am looking for any fellow PD sufferers and their experiences with treatment times. I have read anywhere from 2-12 weeks until I can expect to be completely clear. I am happy with the improvement but tired of dealing with the regular breakouts which I thought would be gone by now......

I am very emotionally sensitive to skin issues, having suffered from acne during my teenage years for a long time. I am ready for this to be gone and not have to worry about it anymore.

Any help or anyone with experience with treatment and clearing of this condition would be great.

Thanks in advance.

I have been dealing with perioral dermatitis for the past 3 months, and hormonal acne for the past year (since my miscarriage). I am on birth control to help with the hormonal acne and it seems to be working pretty well. My main issue is the PD and getting rid of it.

I went to the dermatologist 6 weeks ago and she prescribed 115mg Solodyn for 12 weeks. I am on week 6 and the PD is 90% gone but I am still getting a few bumps every few days.

At first I think I was scrubbing my skin to hard and for the past 2 weeks, have been mor gentle. I also recently switched from Proactiv cleanser to Neutrogena (no SLS and no parabens) but I know it will take a bit to see results from that. I wear no makeup and use no moisturlizers. I eat a very healthy diet and exercise regularly.

I am looking for any fellow PD sufferers and their experiences with treatment times. I have read anywhere from 2-12 weeks until I can expect to be completely clear. I am happy with the improvement but tired of dealing with the regular breakouts which I thought would be gone by now......

I am very emotionally sensitive to skin issues, having suffered from acne during my teenage years for a long time. I am ready for this to be gone and not have to worry about it anymore.

Any help or anyone with experience with treatment and clearing of this condition would be great.

Thanks in advance.

You've likely already thought about this, but perioral dermatitis is often caused by toothpaste contact and residue on the skin around the mouth. What kind of toothpaste do you use? Try a totally different toothpaste, or even a childrens toothpaste and see what happens. Also, be careful to not get the toothpaste lather on your actual skin, and rinse the area thoroughly afterwards.

i just finished going through this and it was horrible! i've never had bad skin! i was diagnosed with perioral dermatitis 2 months ago - i was told it was a result of using a strong cortisone cream on my face for almost 2 years (shouldn't they put on the tube DO NOT USE ON FACE). i was prescribed doryx (antibiotic), finacea and another strong acne cream and told to use cetaphil to wash. i had dryness and bumps around my mouth and eyes and lots of regular looking zits on my forehead. the zits went away on my forehead but moved to my cheeks, got worse around my eyes and mouth and my skin was so scaly. i'd been looking on message boards for other ideas and tried yogurt but didn't help. also stopped taking birth control pills and stopped using fluoride toothpaste but didn't work. then i thought why are all these people using cortisone on their face, why do they even have it? don't we all have eczema? i had been prescribed the strong cortisone cream to treat eczema on my arms. i had been washing my face with coconut oil and using the cortisone because it was the only thing that didn't make me break out. so what i figured was the cortisone effectively treated the dryness, eczema, whatever but for the parts of my face that weren't dry all the excessive moisture caused acne. so now i wash with cetaphil or aveeno calming face wash, use an anti acne moisturizer on my entire face, then use something very rich on the super dry parts around my mouth and eyes - so far i've found atopalm, neosporin, and cortaid (i know i know, just a tiny bit) all work. if a zit pops up without dryness around it i use zit cream. and i'm cured! i just wish i could return all the expensive antibiotics and creams my insurance-less self had to buy. maybe it's possible i didn't actually have perioral dermatitis?