Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NATASHA1983

How long until you see results with Spironalactone?

After years of persistant hormonal acne, I was taking doxycycline for 2 years which made my face so perfect and clear. However, I now have built up a resistance and my doctor prescribed Spironalactone. I'm starting my fourth week now with no results. I just had my period and had a major outbreak. My derm told me Spiro takes about 2-3 months to work, but how long does it take for everyone else to see results? I'm so self conscious about how I look and it makes me embarrassed and depressed to be out in public. I used to be able to be make up free, but now I won't leave the house without it. If this doesn't work in the next few months, my derm told me Accutane is the next step as I don't respond to topicals and she said it needs to be control systermically by oral meds. I feel like I shouldn't be 27 and having acne. I'm desperate for clear skin!

ALso, my derm recommended going on Yaz as she said she sees the most results with it. I've been on it before and it didn't help. Ortho tricyclen lo is the only drug that reduced my acne, but in no way made it completely clear. What birth control pill has worked for others with spiro?

Hi, Natashia. Welcome to Acne.org. :) I'm going to move this to the hormonal section so it gets more traffic.

hi! i've been on spiro one full month now and orthocept, a birth control for 2 weeks.

i'm not really seeing improvement. at first, i did and now i'm not.

lets keep each other posted on our progress!!

good luck!! :)

I started at 50 mg then increased monthly to 75 then 100 then 150mg daily. so once i reached this point the acne went away but it was all there until i got to a high dose4 then it was just gone Id say 4-5 months . I had severe cysts, getting 10-15 injections monthly. I am now back down to 100mg a day because I was so dry and the higher dose means you get dehydrated easily. I never get cysts and use no topical products or antibiotics anymore! It is a miracle despite the irregular periods. I never had acne until my 20s and I am now 39 and need to find a way to clear up all the scars! Stick with it and drink tons of water! Give it at least 5-6 months

I'm new here. I just started taking spironolactone (1-21-11). It'll be almost a week. I'm just so desperate to see results. I have not experienced anything so far. My face is still an oil pump. I take 100mg everymorning. I would figure that at that dosage, I would experience a change, but nothing. I read that one of the side effects is that you pee more often, but not even that, unless I drink water.

I'm not a big water drinker, but I've been trying to drink 3 20oz bottles of water for a week know.

Also, I'm agaisnt contraceptives...so I'm hoping just using spiro will clear my ugly face and the atralin gel I was prescribed. My skin is so extra sensative, that I used it only 3x this week and my face is slightly red...I hate that!