Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ring_of_Kangaxx

What if You'd Never Had Those Lost Years? (Bad Skin)

What if You'd Never Had Those Lost Years?

I Ask Three Specific Sub-Questions:

(1) Would you have made the same friends in highschool/college?

(2) Would you have taken the same career path?

(3) And what is one peculiar behavioral trait you would not display today?

The Answers For Me:

(1) Probably the same friends of the same sex, but definitely not so for the other. I know this is true because the number of opposite sex friends was zero (!), so it's an easy benchmark to beat!

(2) I am still in college so I have not entered the workforce, but I like what I am studying, it's in my families blood, and I do not think my curse has significantly affected this choice.

(3) I would not walk with my head down.

Please share your answers with me. I guess I do get lost in the lost in the labyrinth of "what ifs" sometimes....

The same and more, because I would be more outgoing, instead of staying home.

Probably not. I dont have a career, I just chose 1st uni where I passed (and dropped out afterwards). If not for acne, maybe, I`d aim more at my interests and pursue them.

You ask one, theres too many. Not avoiding long lasting eye contact.

Ill never know for sure about this what if... I wouldnt have the same mindset that I have now if I reverted time and lived some other path, and vice versa. What if I had a brother, what if my parents were rich, what if I lived in another town? Thats all too different. I have only this and now. If you invent time machine with alternative reality, Id like to look into it =)

This post really got me thinking.... Question 1 hands down I have thought about before. High school was just a wreck for me. I had acne throughout all 4 years so I always felt so embarrassed. Acne during high school made me so shy and quiet; it really held me back from doing all that I wanted to. Whether it was speaking my voice during debates in class or sticking up for someone else when they were not being treated right. Looking back now I wish I would have been able to not let my acne affect me as bad as it did, I know I would have enjoyed high school so much more.

As to question 2.. This one really gets me cause it makes me upset with myself. I was attending a local college and when I started my acne was at bay for the most part and not that bad but during the semester it got worse and worse. It made me so self conscious to be in college and still dealing with an issue that seemed like it should have been left in high school. Anyways I stopped attending class when my breakouts were at their worst and eventually I just stopped going because I could not bare sitting next to other students with my face in such a mess. (I know it sounds so pity as to put my aspirations on hold and stop attending college but when we are not truly comfortable in our skins we will not thrive at anything that has social interaction involved) Sad to say I have not returned to school yet because of my acne but I know by next fall I’ll be back.

Question 3 I had to think a little harder about because honestly acne has given me so many traits (bad ones) wish I did not have. One trait I have that I’m sure people I am around notice is I always have my hat and sunglasses on even when within a building and sometimes at night. My hat and sunglasses have become my safety blank to make me feel comfortable enough to be around people when I am having breakouts. What I have realized though is that when my skin is doing well and I don't look so bad I still wear my hat and sunglasses, it has become a fixture to me which I do not like. It would be so nice to be able to go to the store and not throw on my hat and sunglasses before I go. I know though that in time when that day comes where I look in the mirror and finally see me (not the marks first or the breakouts which my eyes always go to) I will be able to go out without having to grab my hat and sunglasses and boy am I looking forward to that day. :]

Anyways I really enjoyed this post... got me thinking. Thanks.

-Jonny

I'm pretty sure I would. In highschool I was what is typically called a "floater." I didn't belong to one group, I had friends in all of them. The majority of friends were guys though. I've made a lot of friends in college as well. We're all education majors, so it makes sense.

Yes, I've always wanted to teach. My grandparents and aunts are teachers...seems like it's meant to be.

Almost every time someone asks me to go out with a group of people, I lie to get out of it bc my social anxiety is too bad. I know all these ppl will have clear skin, and I'm (once again) going to be "the girl with the acne." No thanks.

I lost a very long time and that has significantly impacted my social life. I don't really have as many friends anymore since I just stop going out as much. Good news is my career has never looked better. I have more time to study more time to work on my own stuff and that has paid big time. Overall I think I am glad that I went through that