Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ok, i'm really going to town on my mild-moderate acne this year and i'm determined to try and figure out what's causing this problem and how i can help myself. I'm going to try the no sugar/ yeast diet (i guess you'd call it the anti-candida diet) but i'm a little worried if the supplements i'm taking are excessive and might hinder my progress. What do any of you guys think? I take the following:

25mg of zinc twice a day

Cod liver Oil 1000 mg twice a day

Probiotic Acidophilus (with petcin) twice daily

Flush free Niacin (500mg) three times a day

Pantothenic acid (500mg) once daily

I'm also thinking of taking the following as they've been suggested for people with candida

Calcium magnesium caprylate 400mg

Propolis tincture.

Does this seem excessive? Does anything standout as wrong or unnecessary? Part of me thinks these things cant do any more harm to my acne and yet another part of me thinks i could simplify the routine by subtratcting some one or two items that may appear ineffectual. Also i guess another fear i have is that too many supplements will interfere with each other rather than contribute to my overall health.

Any suggestions would be appreciated or if everythings fine then a comment saying so would be cool. Thanks for reading.

Cut down on the zinc to just 1 a day.

Everything else seems totally fine. Definitely not excessive. I take....9 supplements daily, with a 10th one on occasion. (Had to count that one in my head. :P)

from everything ive gathered from this forum, 50mg of zinc should be fine. at least it better be because thats what im taking right now :P

That's what i've been told too.

One of my biggest fears i think is that all the stuff i'm taking might be taking away/ruining the benefits of the other stuff. Any thoughts on this anyone? For example i dont want to find out after a month or so that the cod liver oils deplete the zinc in my body, or that vit b6 negates the effects of niacin or something along those lines.

I have seen medical articles saying that 50mg of zinc per day is too much (can induce a copper deficiency) and other articles that say 50mg of zinc is fine.

I am not sure who to believe. . . . . . . . :unsure:

I am 100 lbs so maybe 50mg would be too much for me but just right for others who are bigger?

Edited by Dotty1

Zinc interferes with Calcium, Magnesium, Iron and Copper absorption. This is why in many Zinc supplements, they add in Calcium, Magnesium, Iron or Copper (or sometimes a mix of them.) Not to mention, Zinc doesn't get filtered out like the B-Vitamins for example, where if you have too much you just piss out the excess. Too much Zinc can cause kidney damage, a bunch of skin issues, gastro/esophagus erosion, vomiting, hair loss, and a bunch of other little stuff.

The RDA recommends about 8 milligrams for women and 11-15 milligrams per day for men. That's .075 ~ .1 milligrams per Pound of body weight for a 150 pound male.

Edited by chunkylard

Don't worry, I have been taking much more than this for long periods and I have felt just great. Do not care about how many pills you take, but rather which and what composition.

Your composition seems just fine, and if any of those supplements interfer with each other it is probably only in a positive way, though i doubt any worth-mentioning interference..

However, 1500mg Niacin a day can be a little too much, MAYBE... you have to search around.

Edited by hellotoeverybody

i would try not supplementing the vitamin b. what kind of cod liver oil are you taking, there are a lot of cod liver oil products on the market which won't do your body any good (if you like to go with a mainstream brand take carlson).

i would try not supplementing the vitamin b. what kind of cod liver oil are you taking, there are a lot of cod liver oil products on the market which won't do your body any good (if you like to go with a mainstream brand take carlson).

The cod liver oil i use is high strength Holland and Barret- 1000mg. Apparently it provides 100% of vitamins A and D.

The vitamin b i'm taking is niacin and it's possibly the ONLY good anti-inflammatory i've ever used for acne. It's effects are only usually short term though so sadly you need to have about 3 or 4 months off it before it works again.

Already i'm seeing good results again though having started taking it again recently.

Don't worry, I have been taking much more than this for long periods and I have felt just great. Do not care about how many pills you take, but rather which and what composition.

Your composition seems just fine, and if any of those supplements interfer with each other it is probably only in a positive way, though i doubt any worth-mentioning interference..

However, 1500mg Niacin a day can be a little too much, MAYBE... you have to search around.

it says on the swanson label that 1500mg is ok as long as you dont exceed it so i'm sticking with that. I do know what you mean though; it does sound a bit excessive.