Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rattina89

Accutane doesn't have to be prescribed by a dermatologist

I got it prescribed by a Nurse Practitioner. I am under my university's health insurance and I go to the school's clinic. I've read over and over on these boards that only dermatologists can prescribe Accutane, but maybe because it's a university they make exceptions? :think:

Edited by Rattina89

I'm not sure about other countries, but in the US the prescriber (family physician, dermatologist, nurse practitioner) has to be enrolled with iPledge. The system is a pain in the butt to deal with which is why I'm assuming it's mostly dermatologists that are enrolled, but yea, other doctors can enroll as well.

can buy it over the counter here :)

but if you want it for free (ie under your insurance), it has to be prescribed by a dr... any dr. will do, doesn't need to be a derm.

in fact there are no derms in the entire country LOL, if i want to see a derm i was told to 'take a flight to germany or UK' haha

Rattina Hi!

My physicians assistant (i guess thats the same as a nurse assistant) is the one who prescribed me accutane. So far everythings working like how everyones been blogging! I saw 2 dermatologist prior and nothing worked! I also wanted another opinion and the PA was the one who encouraged me to try accutane. Im still waiting for the results, but if it makes you feel any better I think the nurse assistant is ok.