Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fille.et.lune

Where do you live? ...pollution and acne

This is just out of curiosity, but where do you live? Rural or city environment and what's the severity of your acne?

Personally, I live on the east coast of the US, so I'm constantly being exposed to atrocious air pollution, which doesn't help my already existing acne. Grr!

What are your thoughts on the correlation between acne and the surrounding air quality?

Hmmm...this is interesting. I also live in NY (not NYC). It's def not a city, but not rural either. It's so weird, because everytime I go on vacation, whether it's Florida, New Jersey, Virginia, my skin clears right up....almost immediately. Maybe the fumes from NYC are blowing up my way....

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

The only connection I am able to think of is that perhaps pollution weakens your body's defense/immunity and that could possibly lead to heightened inflammation and worse healing to an already existing acne condition.

Or perhaps I have no idea what I'm talking about. :shifty:

I live in Southern California, near the beach. It's a city but nothing like LA or NYC or anything. I have mild but persistent acne.

Edited by Michellica

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I asked my derm one time about geography and acne, and he said it's def a possibility and that water, air, pollution in your area could be having a bad impact on your skin. Like, some ppl's skin does better in a hot environment (like mine) and some ppl's skin does better in a cool/cold environment. Clearly I need to get out of NY....

Edmonton, Alberta. Canada. Normal pollution.

Honestly... I don't think pollution truly has THAT significant of a reaction to the skin and acne.

I really hope this is true. Lately I've been hearing that pollution can contribute to adult acne and that scared the crap out of me!

I do feel overall more healthy where I am currently located. Sorry,forgot to mention my location earlier...it's Western Washing State! Lot's of moisture!

I previously lived in Arizona where the dust is heavy in the air,and I would get bronchitis several times a year from it.

So while I'm unsure if pollution specifically affects acne,air quality does impact health.Whether it's dust,dry heat,high humidity...it does something different to people.

I live in Southern California, near the beach.

Wow, a beach?

I literally do not recall the last time I was on a beach. Maybe when I was like, 12? When I was in British Columbia and we stayed in a hotel near the ocean.

I live near 10 feet of snow LOL.

Lol, yep. I am so used to being near the beach that I don't even really think about it anymore. Haha, is there snow all year round? I want to see snow!

I am from the Midwest and had mild acne. In the summers it would be clear because of a lot of sun exposure as I spent a majority of the time at the lake and pools. The winter was harsh on my skin in the past but I am currently clear and have learned how to treat my skin in the winter.

Edited by CAPS8

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

Seattle, Wa - chronic mild acne.

In the winter it's worst, probably because lack of sun exposure, less sleep, less exercise, and my skin gets MORE oily (wtf) than in the summer. I think sun definitely helps acne, because when I went camping, I didn't wash my face for like a week and I was out on a lake almost the whole time in the sun.

Hmmm...this is interesting. I also live in NY (not NYC). It's def not a city, but not rural either. It's so weird, because everytime I go on vacation, whether it's Florida, New Jersey, Virginia, my skin clears right up....almost immediately. Maybe the fumes from NYC are blowing up my way....

Haaha Well you must've went to the nice part of NJ because they are a major manufacturing state.

nyc has a population of about 8 million and a large portion of those people use cars so I'm sure if I went to some wonderful distant island my skin would be much clearer.

Seattle, Wa - chronic mild acne.

In the winter it's worst, probably because lack of sun exposure, less sleep, less exercise, and my skin gets MORE oily (wtf) than in the summer. I think sun definitely helps acne, because when I went camping, I didn't wash my face for like a week and I was out on a lake almost the whole time in the sun.

Yes I think my skin is clearest during the Spring when I can get moderate sun exposure without the nasty humidity. I feel ya

Edited by fille.et.lune

I live in Edmonton, AB, Canada also with mild pollution, but my acne was sudden onset and I had super clear skin my entire life up to age 21. My skin stopped breaking out and looked wonderful when my husband and I went to Los Angeles for a week, which is pollution city!!!

Vancouver British Columbia, very moist and almost no pollution. [One of the greenist cities in the world I believe]. My acne is mild/moderate.

I live in Boston, so the pollution and the air quality isn't that great with emissions. Plus I manage a service station for vehicles lol... Although I manage, do paper work and other office work, I have to be next to running cars all day and technicians that smoke chain 24/7, so I am sure that doesn't help my acne at all :confused:

I live in the Colorado rocky mountains...pollution is not really an issue lol. I also have mild but very persistent acne. My derm used to insist I would grow out of it by 22, I'm 23 and it's still as strong as ever. I used to live in the midwest, also in an area with little polution. I have noticed that several of my young coworkers have pretty serious acne- people age 25/26, which is not something I really saw in the midwest. I thought maybe it was the dry air.

Los Angeles - moderately severe

I don't think there's a correlation or else everybody here would have acne :lol:

There's a ton more clear-skinned people here than there are people with acne.