Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sherbear

starting accutane in 1 month, getting married in 9 months...HELP!

So my dilemma....I go on accutane in less than 1 month, but get married in 9 months. I am petrified of accutane making my face worse than it is. I have moderate acne. I want to be a flawless bride with nothing holding me back. (I have severe pyschological/ social damage done due to 16 years of battling acne.) Acne is definitely still holding me back from living my life confidently and the way I want to. But I have nightmares of walking down the aisle with red marks, peeling skin, having to wear a wig because of hair loss, etc... How long until the side effects usually go away after I finish accutane? Am I possibly making a huge mistake?? Should I wait until after my wedding and then go on accutane? Nothing has ever worked before so I know accutane is the next step, but am I rushing things?? What to do, what to do?? :think:

Well most accutane courses run from four to six months, with most side effects going away within a month after getting off the stuff, so I say go for it. Nine months is plenty of time and believe me, you're not going to be wearing a wig from hair loss.

Well most accutane courses run from four to six months, with most side effects going away within a month after getting off the stuff, so I say go for it. Nine months is plenty of time and believe me, you're not going to be wearing a wig from hair loss.

I hope this is my case b/c I will only end up with a month to play with before the big day. Just super nervous because I am reading some accutane journals now and they are stating how its 3, 4, 5 months after they've gone off accutane and STILL experiencing side effects. Can't blame a girl for worrying! Thanks for the reply!

Just super nervous because I am reading some accutane journals now and they are stating how its 3, 4, 5 months after they've gone off accutane and STILL experiencing side effects.

You have to remember these stories are a small minority for whom things didn't go as well as they expected. People who have no problems will often never use a site like this, or if they do they will never post again if their course is successful - they just get on with their life. The scare stories get disproportionate coverage both here and elsewhere on the net.

I'd say 9 months is way long enough to complete the course and recover from the usual side effects (dry lips, etc). Good luck!

Edited by stanno

I know what you mean by psychological issues from acne. As of right now, I cannot imagine ever getting married or starting a family and having kids because I am an emotional wreck, who cannot handle her acne (even though it is quite mild)... I would say go for it and kick acne in the ass, so that it knows who's the boss!

You are doing the right thing for you! Honestly, I've been keeping a notebook of all the logs that I've read (more than 60) and a majority of the stories are success stories with people getting their lives back.

I've only started 8 days ago myself on a super low dose - 10 mg. Come TOM and i'm breaking out... Not really new ones, but old little clogged pores turning into pimples and mini cysts. So I definitely hope that in 5 months all o this is going to go away!

Believe in it and go for it! Don't let anything stop you!

I know what you mean by psychological issues from acne. As of right now, I cannot imagine ever getting married or starting a family and having kids because I am an emotional wreck, who cannot handle her acne (even though it is quite mild)... I would say go for it and kick acne in the ass, so that it knows who's the boss!

You are doing the right thing for you! Honestly, I've been keeping a notebook of all the logs that I've read (more than 60) and a majority of the stories are success stories with people getting their lives back.

I've only started 8 days ago myself on a super low dose - 10 mg. Come TOM and i'm breaking out... Not really new ones, but old little clogged pores turning into pimples and mini cysts. So I definitely hope that in 5 months all o this is going to go away!

Believe in it and go for it! Don't let anything stop you!

I was so sick and tired of everyone telling me "beauty is on the inside" and all that stuff that you just don't want to hear. (Even though I know they are right; it still hurts to not be able to look in the mirror and be happy with how I look) But take it to heart and remember that things could always be worse. I have to remind myself of that all the time. Good luck to you! Please keep us posted on your progress!!