Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BeavistheButthead

Marijuana, Acne & Hair loss

For all those who always suspected their hair loss or acne may be related to marijuana but couldn't quite figure out why... i just had to post this bc there are too many ignoramuses out there saying 'well i know plenty potheads and they have thick hair and clear skin' well, yea i know plenty of people who take adderall and don't have heart attacks or strokes but that doesn't mean it doesn't cause it in those predisposed. JUST BECAUSE SOMETHING IS NOT DIRECTLY OBSERVABLE DOES NOT MEAN A LINK DOESNT EXIST. that's the point of doing large empirical studies and finding statistically significant results. anyway, so yes smoking decreases circulation and yes excessive marijuana activates the HPA axis thereby resulting in an increase in stress hormones (e.g. CRH, cortisol, etc) but that's pretty obvious shit. here's the real link between CANNABINOIDS and the SKIN

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2757311/

in a nutshell, we have cannabinoid receptors not only in our brain (and nervous system) but in many other places as well including OUR SKIN. CB1 receptor activation (via THC for example) promotes apoptosis of hair follicles. and CB2 receptor activation... lipid synthesis. obviously not good for those with already oily skin.

anyway, the article may seem like biochemical hypothetical speak but i wanna tell you my own experience in an effort to help other potheads out there.

I am 29 years old. Never really had acne up until i was about 25. i had been smoking high potency cannabis daily for about 10 years. Acne and hair loss just exploded about five years ago (with no family history of AGA either) so needless to say i always suspected MJ but was always in denial cuz of my addiction. anyway, after extensive research i decided to just cuz the stuff out for a few months to see what happens. within one week of not smoking my very oil skin went away! and every day my acne got slightly better. anyway, im about 5 months clean now and not only am i clear finally once again (yey!) but my hair is even beginning to come back thicker!

So anyway, for all you non believers out there i just wanna say, do some research and don't just trust your gut because the body is very complex and you're most likely not gonna figure shit out just by observing the world around you. and oh yea, remember the dose makes the poison. i dont think i woulda had acne or hair loss if i kept my smoking to a few times a week or even once a day. but eventually, if you smoke all day everyday your endocannabinoid system will go all out of wack resulting in all kinds of problems. in my case, it CAUSED the acne and hair loss. in most people it probably just makes it worse. and of course, in many it's effect will be negligible (and it may even help sum). epigenetics people. we all respond different to drugs. but one thing we know, activation of CB2 receptors induces lipid synthesis so put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Edited by BeavistheButthead

I stopped reading after you used the term "retarded".

cool thanks for the post! and oh yea, sorry about the harsh languange i guess i just get a little pissed off when people spread misinformation about my beloved mary jane out of str8 up ignorance... be it positive or negative misinformation. but yea, i kno i kno, i should be more tolerant. sorry if i offended anyone out there, that's not my intention!

I stopped reading after you used the term "retarded".

cool thanks for the post! and oh yea, sorry about the harsh languange i guess i just get a little pissed off when people spread misinformation about my beloved mary jane out of str8 up ignorance... be it positive or negative misinformation. but yea, i kno i kno, i should be more tolerant. sorry if i offended anyone out there (especially any mentally handicapped individuals), that's not my intention!

You might want to edit that out :)

I went and skimmed the post. I can't really contribute, because I've never smoked pot on a regular basis. I assume you probably did it very often? I would think that people who use it from time to time would be fine. Much like there's a huge difference between alcoholics and people who drink maybe once a month or less and don't drink to excess.

Wow that was like a playschool version of Psychopharmacology. Thanks for reminding me of the interesting things I learnt 1st year of my degree.... :whistle:

I think you're on your own with this theory as an entire cause of acne, but kudos. A pothead might type 'Acne and marijuana' and find your post immediately.

Any stress sitution can create stimulation the adrenal gland to secrete cortisol and the hypothalamus to secrete CRH. Stress does contribute to acne, however for you it maybe the entire cause, for other people it may be useful to know not to engage in maladaptive behaviour such as smoking cannabis, even recreationally as it could cause the production of 'stress hotmons'. Another problem is that you've only presented the reader with one example of why it is likely to be true. Now i'm not arsed trying to find journal articles on this. It's your baby, so back it up with real empirical evidence.

I also suggest you edit out the 'mentally handicapped' part.

Although 'handicapped' may be a word American's, French and Italians' Iand probably a lot more!) may use this term for a physical disability. it's pretty archaic here in the UK. For we call people with a physical disability 'disabled' and people with learning difficulties, are simply called individuals with a 'Learning disability'.

Seriously, get with the times and stop using vile words. You've used a lot of them in this post...

I also liked how it all sounded okay, seemingly well read maybe? (Apart from the use of the word 'retard') and then finished it with 'now put that in your pipe and smoke it'.

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Edited by Hello_Kitty_89

Sorry, not tryin to convince anyone that it's a cause of acne bc that would be quite foolish. i said in my case, and my case alone it was the cause. no acne before, cut it out, and acne and hair loss reversed. pretty easy to figure out. the point here is to show potheads how and why it can be exacerbating their acne...

umm, i don't think i ever said stress caused acne and the whole cortisol/CRH thing was not the point of my post at all. but yes stress activates the HPA and the stress hormones will exacerbate it. acne is multifactorial but often it's one factor that is at the root. for example, in adolescents it's the fluctuating sex hormones. in people with Cushings, it's the stress hormones themselves that cause the oil production and subsequent acne so it's not too far a stretch to say that in somebody with the right genes, a prolonged period of excessivestress (or very strong HPA activation) will cause excessive sebum production and subsequent acne. In fact, that's one reason (amongst others) why alcoholics often have acne. HPA overstimulation. HPA axis aside (there is plenty of stuff out there about mj and HPA if you want do the search but i'm not linking to that cuz that's not the point), the point of my post is the endocannabinoid receptors in the skin and their role in sebum production. I've provided the evidence right there in the link... it's a bit long and dense but just ctrl+F 'acne' if you don't feel like reading the whole thing.

in my case, the excessive marijuana was causing excessive oil production (possibly via stress hormones, but most notably and probably, via constant prolonged CB2 receptor activation). THIS WAS THE WHOLE POINT of the post.

and common with all the PC crap already! i'm not rippin on 'disabled' people nor am i being intentionally malicious. sheesh

Marijuana does not cause acne. Actually, marijuana can help acne. Where you went wrong is that you were smoking it. By ingesting cannabis or using a vaporizer, your going to benefit your skin. The cannabinoid CBD is actually anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial.

MJ properties

I back this up because I use Marijuana Medically. I DO NOT over medicate. When I was a teenager yes I smoked all day with my friends and partied like it was 1969. When you are constantly sharing bongs, blunts, and such, it's just a perfect environment for acne. Myself I use my vaporizer or eat edibles. I do so in very small doses. For vaping I only take 1-2 tokes a day. I have my own strains for my own medical purposes. I don't buy the shit on the street filled with chemicals that fucks kids brains up today. I have my own organic cannabis that helps with my anxiety, insomnia, and mood swings. Marijuana is an absolute fantastic plant. People just abuse it like everything else. Everything in moderation my friend.

Edited by Thehoper

Exactly! well said, if you didn't sound the way you did in the first post you would have been taken more seriously.

You're an example of a case study, however have you thought about lifestyle changes as a result of not smoking marijauna. I mean you're able to afford better food, probably eating at better times and on the whole your diet may have changed? (I've heard of the 'munchies' where people smoking marijuana eat anything and everything and it's usually unhealthy)

It may not be just the change in your smoking habits it may be more subtle changes you may not have noticed so much while you have fought your addiction.

Sometimes a PC attitude when it comes to disability is the right one, I have disabled friends and family, the use of horrible words infuriates me.

To the guy who vapes... sorry buddy but i've been vaping for the last three years (volcano baby) and it wasn't any different... yeah it's cleaner and my 'smoker's cough' went away but you're still ingesting THC!

if you read the study i provided you will see that cannabinoid receptor agonists (including THC) induce lipid synthesis. and the study clearly mentions CB receptor antagonists/inverse agonists as potential therapeutic targets for acne.

now, not only that but you should know i tried just about every think short of accutane before quitting cannabis. eating right (paleo, low glycemic, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant rich, probiotic, gluten/dairy free, etc), supplements (vitamin A, C, E, alpha lipoic acid, B5, zinc, etc) and I have been an avid exerciser since middle school. so yes OF COURSE i considered lifestyle as a factor. i tried everything under the sun so i wouldn't have to give up pot. and i know alot of people here who love the stuff will argue against me. Don't agree with me if you don't want to but don't spread misinformation. i stated clearly my individual case and the scientific evidence which pertains to all human beings. Read the study!

And oh yea, CBD may have those properties but there are many cannabinoids with many different effects (in fact there are even some cannabinoids in marijuana that act as CB receptor ANTagonists). just bc something is an "anti-inflammatory or antifungal" by no means indicates it as helpful for acne. i mean, do you see people taking advil or cinnamon for acne? common mang, it's a bit more complex then that... but yea i did like the link you provided i do sincerely thank you for that info.

It's a study bud. And your spreading misinformation. We both have strong opinions. Not facts.

Like you said, everyone is different. The biggest thing MJ helps me with is stress. I can incredibly stressed out, take 1-2 tokes, and the world is heaven. I can't be mad at anything, and I can ease and control my mind again. The stress relieving is huge for acne. Want to know something? I too once thought it was the culprit to my acne. Let's rewind the clocks. Like I said before I smoked for years, as an avid toker. Well around a year ago, I quit. Cold turkey, done. Nothing. Everyone I knew was blown away that I had just stopped. But I'm a person that is very determined, I want to do something I do it. So yeah, I quit, 100%. Guess what? For the next 6 months of my life, I had THE WORST ACNE EVER.

EVER. My skin was terrible, honestly the worst time of my life. That's when I turned my life around dramatically. I started going the all natural way. My diet, supplements, buddhism, and BACK to using MJ, but this time, my own organic, and in low doses. Within a week of using MJ, I realized how well my skin was doing. Every morning I would get up it was like the heavy skin was falling right off, my skin felt so light. When I had quit I had never thought that MJ was actually helping my skin. To this day I still toke 1-2 a day, it's my god medicine. Really, for some people it can be the ultimate cure for many things. And I am a VERY strong believer that it has helped my skin.

My advice to you is to never be closed minded. Your opinions and statements in this topic are close minded, the ol' tunnel vision. Don't ever jump to conclusions.

EDIT: Actually, I do take Cinnamon supplements for my Acne, LOL.

Edited by Thehoper

w/e dude think what you want. im not gonna convince you... and yes, it obviously affects everyone differently so it's entirely possible it helps you.

to everyone else out there who's skeptical at all...

research this:

marijuana and the hypothalami c-pituitary-adrenal axis

the endocannabinoid receptors in the skin

and the neuroendocrine immunology of the skin.

reliable sources tho... pubmed or something... that's all i'm saying. the evidence is there and my case is living proof. don't get me wrong i love the plant to death and once my hair gets a little thicker im gonna experiment with once or twice a week recreational use so i'm not saying it's a detriment to society or anything like that. Not only that but for all those who do NOT have oily skin (maybe even dry skin) and still have acne then obviously it's entirely possible mj can help since it will lubricate/moisturize your skin. but from my experience, it seems there are far more people out there unwilling to give abstaining the fair shot it deserves and the research above just might get them to do it. (especially for those of u who suspect ur suffering mj-aggravated hair loss)

and oh yea, i said it above, the dose makes the poison. one drink of red wine a day results in improved cardiovascular and pulmonary function but three a day will have a negative effect. similarly, i suspect small doses of MJ can relieve stress (and even reduce HPA axis activity) but large/normal intoxication doses have the opposite. In fact, i remember reading a study how small doses of THC increase serotonin while large doses make it plummet... food for thought

yeah, cinnamon was probably a bad example cuz it may actually help acne by regulating blood sugar. what i mean to say is just cuz something is 'anti-bacterial' does not qualify it as effective in treating acne

close minded? not in the least. i said from the start everyone reacts differently and it does not cause acne (in 99.9999% of people)

Well there you go, I actually have dry skin. I always had the dry acne type skin. So it could be naturally lubricating my skin :D

And there is one big thing I forgot to tell you. 90% of the time when I vape, I set it on 175 degrees Celcius. Like you can see from the graph chart, THC burns at 159 degrees Celcius. I put my Vaporizer in the range JUST FOR CBD. I don't smoke to get high. It's literally my medication. I only lower the setting once in a great while when I feel like getting a little loopy. Hey, I don't drink, so sometimes I need something to alter my state of mind.

I can't stand the reputation MJ has over the general public, but I cannot do anything about it. It is becoming more and more popular though, as you see more states going medical. If I was taking a pill that was doing all these wonderful things for me, everyone would be so excited for me and wanting to try it. But they hear Marijuana and everyone's brick wall shoots up. Which ya can't blame because look all the kids these days destroying its reputation. Driving around listening to rap smoking blunts flicking off the cops. Or the kids who just do nothing and smoke all day.

For people like me, it's just a magical herb that can help you in so many ways. And let me tell ya something, there is a lot more people like me who use it like I do then ya think.

Exactly! well said, if you didn't sound the way you did in the first post you would have been taken more seriously.

You're an example of a case study, however have you thought about lifestyle changes as a result of not smoking marijauna. I mean you're able to afford better food, probably eating at better times and on the whole your diet may have changed? (I've heard of the 'munchies' where people smoking marijuana eat anything and everything and it's usually unhealthy)

It may not be just the change in your smoking habits it may be more subtle changes you may not have noticed so much while you have fought your addiction.

Sometimes a PC attitude when it comes to disability is the right one, I have disabled friends and family, the use of horrible words infuriates me.

disabled implies the inability to function, to not be able. For a while in the 90s there was a push here in America, where we are out of touch and not PC, to call physical disabilities 'handi-capable' It didn't really stick...

At any rate, if you were to come here and spew your rhetoric from up there, on your high horse, most people would think you were ahhhh, let's see.. challenged.

Edited by ayla

Marijuana does not cause acne. Actually, marijuana can help acne. Where you went wrong is that you were smoking it. By ingesting cannabis or using a vaporizer, your going to benefit your skin. The cannabinoid CBD is actually anti-fungal, anti-inflammatory, and anti-bacterial.

MJ properties

I back this up because I use Marijuana Medically. I DO NOT over medicate. When I was a teenager yes I smoked all day with my friends and partied like it was 1969. When you are constantly sharing bongs, blunts, and such, it's just a perfect environment for acne. Myself I use my vaporizer or eat edibles. I do so in very small doses. For vaping I only take 1-2 tokes a day. I have my own strains for my own medical purposes. I don't buy the shit on the street filled with chemicals that fucks kids brains up today. I have my own organic cannabis that helps with my anxiety, insomnia, and mood swings. Marijuana is an absolute fantastic plant. People just abuse it like everything else. Everything in moderation my friend.

^^^ This.

disabled implies the inability to function, to not be able. For a while in the 90s there was a push here in America, where we are out of touch and not PC, to call physical disabilities 'handi-capable' It didn't really stick...

At any rate, if you were to come here and spew your rhetoric from up there, on your high horse, most people would think you were ahhhh, let's see.. challenged.

It's always been an offensive word here in the UK.

I'm sorry, what's that you're spewing, American English?

Also say that to the Disability Consultants who are promoting equality, the first problem they have to combat is use of negative terms.

An individuals impairment is not their 'disbility' people are disabled by society, they are not 'unable to do anything' with the correct disabled access nobody would need to be classed as 'disabled'.

If you don't fully understand how this works with people with learning difficulties, take miners for instance. There were many British miners who were able to live full lives and work full-time in a labourous job such as mining, when the mines were closed some individuals at a later age were deemed to have 'learning difficulties' as society was unable to adapt to thier needs and they came to the attention of social services as having 'learning difficulties'.

A person does not have a disability, society can adapt and needs to adapt for them.

Stop being so close-minded.

Edited by Hello_Kitty_89

So that I don't get high. THC is what makes you high. But too much THC and I get my anxiety, paranoia. Where as if I put it at a temperature where just a tad of the THC survives, then I get all the medical components of CBD, which are actually anti-anxiety, anti-inflammatory, etc etc, and I catch a little of the euphoria from the THC.

It's my medicine but I'm not always looking to get high. Like I said, before work I like to vape to calm me down, and be the nice ol' Ryan, sometimes when I don't vape and things get hairy at work, the grouchy Ryan can overcome that nice ol' Ryan, catch my drift? :D

It's my self medication. And it is an herb. It's not a man made substance. I honestly will always believe everyone should try the herb WHEN FULLY MATURED. I never listened when I was younger, but it really is crucial to wait until your at least 18 and your brain is almost fully developed. When you are ready, I believe everyone should sit back, relax, and VAPE, not smoke, some beautiful organic MJ. It can literally be a "key" to unlock things in your brain, and give you outlooks on life that will blow you away. All for the better holmes.

It's always been an offensive word here in the UK.

I'm sorry, what's that you're spewing, American English?

Also say that to the Disability Consultants who are promoting equality, the first problem they have to combat is use of negative terms.

An individuals impairment is not their 'disbility' people are disabled by society, they are not 'unable to do anything' with the correct disabled access nobody would need to be classed as 'disabled'.

If you don't fully understand how this works with people with learning difficulties, take miners for instance. There were many British miners who were able to live full lives and work full-time in a labourous job such as mining, when the mines were closed some individuals at a later age were deemed to have 'learning difficulties' as society was unable to adapt to thier needs and they came to the attention of social services as having 'learning difficulties'.

A person does not have a disability, society can adapt and needs to adapt for them.

Stop being so close-minded.

:lol: Sweetheart, read carefully the redundant drivel you just posted; 'People are disabled by society' -yet you promote calling them disabled? Does this not reinforce the negative stigma?

I would hardly call myself close-minded. I work with special needs children daily, giving diet and behavioral advice. I do not personally prescribe any language to denote an individual's physical or mental capacities. And I certainly don't mock the culture or customs of a society that is unprejudiced to phrasing my own society or upbringing might not find couth or acceptable simply because I cannot grasp it.

Really now, where does the intolerance lie?

Oh, yes - ^ that is indeed American English up there.

My apologies to the OP, I'll exit this thread now.

Women please, what is this the view? Take the drama to channel 2. This is why both of you need to sit down together now and toke the magic herb and realize your so much alike and become great friends, LOL.

Women please, what is this the view? Take the drama to channel 2. This is why both of you need to sit down together now and toke the magic herb and realize your so much alike and become great friends, LOL.

LOL!

Do a board search on hemp oil. Not hemp seed oil but hemp oil, also referred to as hash oil (specifically the sativa strain). There is also a documentary on youtube called run from the cure the rick simpson story you should check out. I'm still researching this and haven't tried it myself. The benefits of this oil sound amazing and revolutionary. I recently met a brain cancer patient that told me about hemp oil that just started using it but too soon to see the results. I'm looking forward to speak with him in the near future to see how he is doing.

LOL!

@thehoper: do a board search on hemp oil. Not hemp seed oil but hemp oil, also referred to as hash oil (specifically the sativa strain). There is also a documentary on youtube called run from the cure the rick simpson story you should check out. I'm still researching this and haven't tried it myself. The benefits of this oil sound amazing and revolutionary. I recently met a brain cancer patient that told me about hemp oil that just started using it but too soon to see the results. I'm looking forward to speak with him in the near future to see how he is doing.

Way off-topic. Some of you need to re-read the board rules and realize that promoting illegal activities is not allowed. Topic closed.

Simply look up one of the MANY MJ and acne threads. If you however insist upon promoting it, that thread will also get locked.