Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
freeride6772

Should I exfoliate like this?

I was wondering if it is okay to exfoliate with my hands in the shower. I am using Tretinoin gel and my there is a lot of dead on the treated areas. So what I do is, before cleansing, rub my skin and all the dead skin peels away. I tried being very gentle with my skin, per Dan's regimen suggestion, but I noticed my skin got worse during this time period.

Are there any better ways to exfoliate (I know nothing about exfoliation hahaha)

I was wondering if it is okay to exfoliate with my hands in the shower. I am using Tretinoin gel and my there is a lot of dead on the treated areas. So what I do is, before cleansing, rub my skin and all the dead skin peels away. I tried being very gentle with my skin, per Dan's regimen suggestion, but I noticed my skin got worse during this time period.

Are there any better ways to exfoliate (I know nothing about exfoliation hahaha)

There are lots of complicated and expensive products you can use. Like Clarisonic... it's apparently absolutely fantastic and gentle, but quite pricy.

You can very likely get similar results, if not quite as good, by using a soft washcloth and some facewash, using a gentle circular motion. Obviously the gentler the better, but if you need to go harder to get off some obviously dead skin, then try it. Your skin will tell you if its happy with that pretty quickly.

You can get awesome microfiber washcloths from any computer/electronic store or even automobile hardware stores - The "microfiber" nature of the cloths lets you remove more dead skin without being as rough on your face.

Also, try sticking a moist washcloth in the microwave, and nuke it for a minute or so - until its vigorously steaming. Doing this occasionally will virtually sterilize it. It will be hot, so let it cool before you take it out. Make sure the cloth is wet, and pay attention to it - microwaving a dried out cloth could easily start a fire.

Edited by greentiger87

Awesome! Thanks man. You really know your stuff. So i should ditch the hand method?

How often should it be done??

You really have to answer that for yourself.. it's different for everybody. I used to do it once a day, nowadays its more like twice a week. I do it in the shower too...just more convenient.

As for the the hand method, it's just not as good imho. The washcloth lets you use less, more diffuse pressure, so you don't have to rub the heck out of your skin. It's also textured in a way your hands can't really match, picking up and prying off dead skin.

But again, a lot of this is individual choice. Some people HATE washcloths.

There are lots of complicated and expensive products you can use. Like Clarisonic... it's apparently absolutely fantastic and gentle, but quite pricy.

You can very likely get similar results, if not quite as good, by using a soft washcloth and some facewash, using a gentle circular motion. Obviously the gentler the better, but if you need to go harder to get off some obviously dead skin, then try it. Your skin will tell you if its happy with that pretty quickly.

You can get awesome microfiber washcloths from any computer/electronic store or even automobile hardware stores - The "microfiber" nature of the cloths lets you remove more dead skin without being as rough on your face.

Also, try sticking a moist washcloth in the microwave, and nuke it for a minute or so - until its vigorously steaming. Doing this occasionally will virtually sterilize it. It will be hot, so let it cool before you take it out. Make sure the cloth is wet, and pay attention to it - microwaving a dried out cloth could easily start a fire.

Ok, this is a dumb question, lol, but with the microfiber clothes, do you put water and cleanser on them and then wash your face, or just rub the dry cloth over your skin after you wash? Thanks

The hand method bothers my skin. It tends to leave me bumpier (not pimples, just bumps) and didn't really remove dead skin all that well.

Washcloths work well for me, although microfibre cloths don't. As long as it's not overused, it should be fine. But I think that just making sure to only use a washcloth once before washing it thoroughly is enough to clean it. I notice they only break me out once I start using it every day. I can go about 2-3 days of using it in a row before I start breaking out.

Also, are you rubbing your face when it's dry? Because that definitely would bother my skin as well.

Nope only when its wet! But since i'm on month 2 of the Tretinoin there is a lot of the dead skin so I may need to do it every day.

Ohhh and, this may sound like a stupid question, but does it matter if the wash isn't white? I heard using washcloths with dyes is bad.

Edited by freeride6772