Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Thehoper

Gluten Sensitivity can cause Mental Disorders

Lately I have been doing a lot of research on the gut and the mind. I never knew that our gut literally is our "second brain." The gut actually controls more of the nervous system then the brain. It is no wonder that when things are going wrong inside, it is sending the wrong messages to the brain, equaling into mental problems. Here are some very interesting articles I found that you guys might be interested in.

Schizonphrenia:

http://schizophreniabulletin.oxfordjournal.../94.short?rss=1

"The Second Brain"

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article....ut-second-brain

Anxiety, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Autism, MS and Other

http://www.flcv.com/hgopioid.html

I for one like I mentioned in another topic have improved a lot with my mental health by my new diet. Gluten was giving me terrible anxiety, insomnia, ADD, foggy brain, mood swings. As far as physical health it was giving me acne, inability to gain weight, fatigue, and was often sick. Have been gluten free for almost a year now, and am a completely different person. I talked about the cures of my mental health in the other topic, but I have since been able to gain muscle and weight at twice the rate of before, my acne hit a brick wall in the fall, I'm literally never tired, I have constant energy through the day. And I haven't been sick since going gluten free. Amazing stuff isn't it? I just want to spread the word more in case I can help someone help who is having several problems, and it could all be due to gluten!

Yes it is a wheat protein. Create it? You don't create it, if you mean how do you create the intolerance, it's genes, it's not up to you.

You simply have to avoid it. It's in all Wheat, Rye, Barley. Pretty much don't eat any grains unless you know it is Gluten Free. Gluten can be found in many things, Tofu and Turkey Burgers, flavorings, seasonings, herbs, toothpaste, the list goes on and on. You really just have to read ingredients on everything.

Hi, Gluten sensitivity is something i've been thinking about for awhile and i was wondering about a few things. If you could help me out with a bit of info that would be great.

Did you get tested to find out if you have an intolerence to gluten? If so is it the same sort of thing as a food allegy test?

None of my family have any sort of acne (im the only one) and as far as i know no gluten intolerence issues. Therefor maybe that lowers my chance of having it?

How long did it take before you began to see any effects after cutting gluten out of your diet?

Actually, it is created, mostly. The bread making process, for example is designed to maximize the gluten formation. Otherwise it would crumble like cake. Cake baking methods minimize gluten formation. And since it's formed when the wheat comes in contact with water, I don't see how there'd be much gluten in a cookie.

I went to get tested, and was told that I would have to go back on a diet with actually A LOT of gluten in order for the tests to be accurate. So I declined.

It was obvious for me. If I eat gluten now, the effects are obvious. Everything that I said was improving would decline. Almost immediately after eating gluten my heart beats faster, I start having symptoms of an anxiety attack, and my face turns very red. Now before I cut out gluten, I used to eat gluten all the time, so I believe my body was just used to it. I would still get the mental effects, but not the physical effects. Now after cutting it out cold turkey and never looking back, my body seems to be even more intolerant to it. So if I mess up, I pay the price.

It took weeks to see mental effects. I'd say 2-3 weeks and my mind started to really clear up. It wasn't an over night thing, just gradually. And my skin really took off in the good direction after about 4-6 weeks of no gluten. That's when I went dairy free, corn free, sugar free, etc and my active acne STOPPED. Now I just deal with red marks from the years of abuse. Too bad, a doctor could have told me when I was 14 how to cure my acne and I would have never gone through all the BS and red marks, but everything happens for a reason so here I am.

My little sister is 13 and starting to develop acne. I tell her everything I know when I see her, and she really likes taking advice from me, but isn't ready to make the commitment. I tell her when she is ready to stop her acne let me know haha. When your that young, I don't believe she would even need any supplements. A simple diet of Veggies, Green smoothies, lean meats and green tea could clear her up I bet. Always drinking a lot of water!

Actually, it is created, mostly. The bread making process, for example is designed to maximize the gluten formation. Otherwise it would crumble like cake. Cake baking methods minimize gluten formation. And since it's formed when the wheat comes in contact with water, I don't see how there'd be much gluten in a cookie.

Not exactly. I think what you are referring to is gluten development. The gliadin and glutenin proteins exist without interference. They combine in the baking/cooking process to form the substance known as gluten. In the context of celiac disease however, the proteins both before and after are allergenic.

Hoper - I have noticed foods like gluten, soy and corn can change peoples' personalities.

Definitely be on the lookout for these sorts of personality problems. I think that food sensitivities exploit the weaknesses in our personalities. Whether it is throwing temper tantrums, getting depressed, saying catty remarks, easily irritated -- it is probably NOT normal. It could be a food sensitivity.

Edited by Dotty1

Wow thanks for sharing that Dotty. It's amazing how diet effects you so much. And yet I'd say over 75% of people, well I should say AMERICANS, believe diet has nothing to do with any of these things. What a shame.

I just finished reading a book called 'Optimum Nutrition For the Mind' by Patrick Holford, all about how diet can cause and worsen all sorts of mental health issues that could be avoided easily. Instead people suffer long and hard from drug side effects and psychiatry that never seems to help... such an interesting book, I'd really recommend it if you are interested in this subject!

I just finished reading a book called 'Optimum Nutrition For the Mind' by Patrick Holford, all about how diet can cause and worsen all sorts of mental health issues that could be avoided easily. Instead people suffer long and hard from drug side effects and psychiatry that never seems to help... such an interesting book, I'd really recommend it if you are interested in this subject!

Sounds like a really great read. I'm only just begining to grasp the enourmous effect diet plays on mental health, and having suffered from depression for years i wish a doctor had advised me on the benefits of healthy living (diet, exercise, minimizing stress) a lot sooner. I'm reading Erica White's beat candida book at the moment but having had a food test today and having been told i have an allegey to dairy and GLUTEN i'm begining to wonder if i should alter my diet again. To try and combat Gluten AND Sugar and yeast sounds exceptionally difficult though so i may stick to candida elimination for a few months and then try the gluten free diet.

It's really not difficult at all. I don't have gluten, sugar, or yeast ever. Gluten and yeast go hand and hand. And sugar..only sugar I have is from fruits. Stevia can be your best friend when ya need it!!

It's really not difficult at all. I don't have gluten, sugar, or yeast ever. Gluten and yeast go hand and hand. And sugar..only sugar I have is from fruits. Stevia can be your best friend when ya need it!!

The thing is i've replaced a lot of high sugar stuff with low gi foods, some of which contain gluten, and the past 9 days have been great. My inflammation is going down and (although i've still got quite a few whiteheads) this diet seems to be working for me. However, i do think in the long run gluten is going to have to go.

When i had my food test today i was astonished to learn that i was sensitive to gluten when only a few weeks ago i had a test for celiac disease which came back as negative. I always assumed that gluten sensitivity and celiac disease were the same thing but when i mentioned this to the nurse she said that they were different (stupidly i didnt ask her to elaborate on how). Anyway i presume she meant that they were different in terms of the severity of the symptoms. Can anyone go into more detail?

My husband and I totally totally TOTALLY agree that giving up wheat+/gluten has improved our health in so many ways. We both feel SO much better since giving up wheat. We will never go back, EVER!!! We wish we could convert more people to a paleo-esque diet. I wish my parents were more open minded.. :(

Edited by smartie

^^Haha that's awesome, good for you guys. Yeah I always tell people the benefits of avoiding gluten.

Yeah bosie it's the severity of gluten intolerance. People who are celiac literally cannot have gluten. Some of those cases a crumb of bread and they are in the hospital for 4 days. Or some cases like this little boy I know, if he has any gluten he will be throwing up for hours, and also on the toilet for hours until his body gets it out, it's like food poisoning for them, feel so sorry for the little boy, one day at day care they accidently gave him a bag of crackers, he ate the whole thing!

Then people who are gluten intolerant like us just get the minor symptoms. Bloating, nutritional deficiencies, poor digestion, acne/eczema, irritability, exhaustion, mental disorders, and some others. You won't have all the above, but if you have more then 3 or 4 it's worth checking to see if you are gluten intolerant. You now KNOWING your gluten intolerant, I would most definitely eat no gluten what so ever. At least for a couple weeks to a month to see the results. Even though it can take 6 months or more of a totally gluten free diet to get your body back to normal.

^^Haha that's awesome, good for you guys. Yeah I always tell people the benefits of avoiding gluten.

Yeah bosie it's the severity of gluten intolerance. People who are celiac literally cannot have gluten. Some of those cases a crumb of bread and they are in the hospital for 4 days. Or some cases like this little boy I know, if he has any gluten he will be throwing up for hours, and also on the toilet for hours until his body gets it out, it's like food poisoning for them, feel so sorry for the little boy, one day at day care they accidently gave him a bag of crackers, he ate the whole thing!

Then people who are gluten intolerant like us just get the minor symptoms. Bloating, nutritional deficiencies, poor digestion, acne/eczema, irritability, exhaustion, mental disorders, and some others. You won't have all the above, but if you have more then 3 or 4 it's worth checking to see if you are gluten intolerant. You now KNOWING your gluten intolerant, I would most definitely eat no gluten what so ever. At least for a couple weeks to a month to see the results. Even though it can take 6 months or more of a totally gluten free diet to get your body back to normal.

I think thats a road i'm going to have to go down. The no/little sugar diet has helped me a great deal but it's not fully clearing me i think, and i know i'm gluten intolerant so it seems the logical thing to do. Just as a matter of interest have you ever tried gluten free bread? and if so what do you think of it? The things is i've had bread all of my life and it's probably the hardest thing of all to cut out when you're so used to it (even on anti candida diet you can have yeast free soda bread which is what i'm having now)

Damn you gluten :wall:

Yeah I used to eat bread everyday too. I have never tried gluten free bread in the stores because it is filled with a bunch of things I don't want in my body, so I never bothered. I tried making my own GF bread, but it was pretty frustrating and too long to prepare. In my entire diet now I don't need bread at all, so it would just be a luxury to make if I want it. But there is always romaine lettuce which can be a great bread substitute.

gMaria posted a GF bread that was very appealing to me. She said it takes like 5-10 minutes to make too. It was Almond blanched flour, baking soda or powder can't remember, and water. Throw in some stevia for sweetner and salt if ya prefer. Mix it all up and put in a bread pan. She microwaves it, you could bake it too.

I make my own pumpkin bread here and there. It's a dessert though, not a bread to use every day. It's still all natural ingredients and good for you, it's just very rich and thick, so not really what people want for a nice light weight bread to have for sandwiches and what not.

Thehoper how much do you need to eat to get a response? Does one slice of bread trigger you, or a lot more?

and can anyone explain why it could be that after cutting gluten out you get more intolerant to it. (Thehoper mentioned noticing this and I think I have this to....)

And does anyone have chest pain (just a little bit to the right) as a symptom?

If I even have a CRUMB of gluten, I become lethargic and depressed for 4 days.

I wanted to mention to anyone who is gluten-sensitive there is new research:

Many gluten-sensitive individuals are cross reactive with GLUTEN-FREE foods. This means the body THINKS a gluten-free food is gluten.

The most common is coffee. Another common one is soy and corn. Others are potatoes (or the entire nightshade family), sesame seeds, rice, milk, eggs, chocolate and yeast.

There is a laboratory who tests for cross contamination of foods (Cyrex Labs) for about $220.

This month, after a huge elimination diet (trying to find the cause of my ACNE), I discovered some of my own gluten cross-reactive foods. I had avoided all grains and nightshades for two months and when I gave up and added them back into my diet, I noticed that I had a huge gluten-reaction to corn and tomatoes. I had NEVER noticed this reaction before the elimination diet. But Celiac researchers say that after an elimination diet, the reaction to a food sensitivity is much more obvious.

So for those of you who are gluten sensitive, keep cross-reactions in mind. Try an elimination diet.

Edited by Dotty1

Yep dotty. Dont know if there are any studies yet on the cyrex lab testing etc... Would like to see some. (On how effective the tests are). They claim they find less false negatives than others... But is it true?

I don't know how sensitive I am, but I am damn sensitive I know that, it's very annoying. When I last tested it out months ago, I had a donut. Honest truth I had around 8-10 white heads explode within 24 hours, and around 5-6 very painful large cysts form on my jaw/neck. My mood also changed, I got irritated easy for the next couple days, just felt depressed and grumpy. Really blew me away.

I wish it would go away one day haha, but it really does seem that I'm highly allergic. I am definitely a believer that once you go completely gluten free, anytime you return the effects are much stronger. Like I've said before my favorite foods were bakery. Donuts and peanut butter cookies man, my queen and king. I'd eat countless baked goods, and got reactions but minor compared to now.

I don't know how sensitive I am, but I am damn sensitive I know that, it's very annoying. When I last tested it out months ago, I had a donut. Honest truth I had around 8-10 white heads explode within 24 hours, and around 5-6 very painful large cysts form on my jaw/neck. My mood also changed, I got irritated easy for the next couple days, just felt depressed and grumpy. Really blew me away.

I wish it would go away one day haha, but it really does seem that I'm highly allergic. I am definitely a believer that once you go completely gluten free, anytime you return the effects are much stronger. Like I've said before my favorite foods were bakery. Donuts and peanut butter cookies man, my queen and king. I'd eat countless baked goods, and got reactions but minor compared to now.

It doesn't sound like you are merely "sensitive" or "allergic" to gluten. It sounds like you have Celiac Disease. According to everything I've read, becoming "irritated" after eating gluten is said to be the classic sign that you have the disease, not a small sensitivity.

If you have the disease and let it get worse, it is linked to causing over fifty five different autoimmune diseases, and causes enough damage to the liver that only 4% of the liver functions at age 70. Also, the "irritability" on gluten only gets worse over time. They have found that its effects on the nervous tissue and brain is "much worse than we thought" and can go on to cause permanent damage in the brain -- causing the person to stay in a permanent grumpy or paranoid or schizophrenic "mood." I think this is the worse thing that can happen to the person because it makes their loved one's lives a living hell.

Also, aside from you feeling irritated or grumpy after eating gluten, depression is also a detirmining factor that you have the disease, not a sensitivity/allergy.

Also, I wish I had gone gluten-free sooner because I would not have so many health problems as I do now. :doubt:

Edited by Dotty1