Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
portlandboy23

Dermabrasion - complications/negative outcomes

This is a thread to discuss the negative sides of Dermabrasion. If you or someone close to you has had a dermabrasion and can comment on this topic, please do. We all know Dr. Y is the best and I haven't found one complaint on him yet but I'm just curious as to everyone's experience so we can get a comparison on what’s out there and what potential downsides there are to this treatment. (pain, infections, scarring, no improvement of scars, pigmentation change, acne breakouts, etc...) When possible please state the following: your sex, your age, the type of dermabrasion, the name of the doctor, and any other info you think might be helpful to others.

1990: Full face dermabrasion. Done with the wheel. I had this done over the Christmas Holiday. No complications. A few mild breakouts during the healing phase, but that is normal.

1991: Ditto

1992: Ditto: Also had wisdom teeth removed...ouch.

1993: Ditto. Punch grafting also done during this year.

1995: Spot dermabrasion done to smooth over grafted areas.

*Pain: the pain really depends on your personal tolerance. It was a bit uncomfortable at times, but not at all unbearable. The skin is tender during the first few days and that is probably the worst part.

*Redness: It took around 3 months for all of my redness to fade.

*Pigmentation: I am very fair, but my skin tone was lighter after each treatment. I also "lost" the ability to really tan on my face. This is not an issue for me though; I tend to avoid the sun.

*Acne: I had active acne at the time of my dermabrasions. After the initial post surgery breakout, I always found the frequency of my breakouts would reduce. That was a definite plus.

*I am female and I was in my early teens when I had the first procedure. I will be undergoing punch floats and dermabrasion with Dr. Y on 8/31 and 9/21 respectively.

animegirl..

On picture your skin looks really good -- almost flawless.. why would you want to do more invasive procedures to your skin? you look good.. is it because you seek perfection? i wonder if that is possible..

She's hooked now. bb_icon_twisted.gif

Oh show me, the way, to the next grinding wheel.

Oh, don't ask why. Oh, don't ask why.

you are quite the character annimegirl..... too bad you're not going to be in New Orleans the same time as me. We coulda went out in my old stomping grounds before having our faces ripped off smile.gif

you are quite the character annimegirl..... too bad you're not going to be in New Orleans the same time as me. We coulda went out in my old stomping grounds before having our faces ripped off smile.gif

Guest *Clara

Anywaaayz... tongue.gif The only downsides I've had is recovery. It takes some time but you'll be happy after.

this is for anyone who has ever had dermabrasion...

do notice any abnormally more enlarged pores after the procedure? or any new scarring that you may think result from the procedure? apart from the redness and hyper/hypo issues, seems that there isn't much complications. anyone??

cheers!