Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Warrior of Acne

The Age of the Hypochondriac?

Is it just me or does it seem like everybody in this section has some 'problem'? I mean, I could go on forever; leaky gut/candida/weak stomach acid/liver problems/etc. Why cannot some people accept that it could be poor skin shedding/hormones/the like?

I am definitely not denying that there are people with problems, but it seems implausible everybody here does. For instance, I saw a post that explained how this girl was tired and had stomach upset. Many said she could/does have candida. These two symptoms are so common! How could they come to the conclusion it was candida off that? This is also not an isolated incident. I see posts like these all the time and over the course of a lengthy time.

Trust me, I got sucked into this too. After reading all the posts of the rampant problems I bought anti-candida cleanses and other things. None of them ever worked.

What do you think?

Edited by Warrior of Acne

Is it just me or does it seem like everybody in this section has some 'problem'? I mean, I could go on forever; leaky gut/candida/weak stomach acid/liver problems/etc. Why cannot some people accept that it could be poor skin shedding/hormones/the like?

I am definitely not denying that there are people with problems, but it seems implausible everybody here does. For instance, I saw a post that explained how this girl was tired and had stomach upset. Many said she could/does have candida. These two symptoms are so common! How could they come to the conclusion it was candida off that? This is also not an isolated incident. I see posts like these all the time and over the course of a lengthy time.

Trust me, I got sucked into this too. After reading all the posts of the rampant problems I bought anti-candida cleanses and other things. None of them ever worked.

What do you think?

So true. But there are also people who seem to have serious, legitimate health issues. I really don't have any health problems at the moment, other than controllable acne - but its still nice to explore paths toward optimum health. :genius: I've learned so much here!

And shoot, if something like the paleo diet ends up truly being able to drastically reduce chronic disease and extend functional lifespans.. then in a way you could say everyone is really sick. It just won't show up until were much older.

Systemic candidiasis in people with normal immune systems is just silly. I'm sorry you ended spending money on such things :(

I like to keep an open mind on everything. If you look at my posts I often have some very choice words when saying anything. (example: supposedly,maybe,possibly,I think,perhaps)

One thing that has always amazed me every time I come to this site is that everyone seems to respond so differently to things. I really dislike writing things off unless it's something I find truly absurd.

I agree, I think it's in the nature of acne sufferers to find some kind of causation that they can attribute to their acne. For a while I was starting to worry " candida! leaky gut syndrome! bad liver! blood toxins!", and the such. Granted I don't know for sure what the cause(s) are of my acne is personally, I do think that some of those conditions can be legitimate causes for people. If anything, I'm just a teenager with a greater predisposition to acne. I've had great improvement by taking a good multivitamin, acnescript, guggul, turmeric, fish oil, and an herbal tea with things like burdock and dandelion etc, but I can't say for sure if things like coconut oil have done anything. At least it tastes good and is pretty healthy though! As long as it has some kind of health benefit other than treating a possible causation of acne, I'm more than happy to incorporate it into my routines.

I've read a lot of posts about detoxing and blood purification, and a lot of the herbal supplements/teas are marketed as such. I know that N-Acetyl-Cysteine is used to detox the body of mercury, and activated charcoal also does something similar, but does anyone know what exactly these "blood toxins" are that everyone talks about? I'm not saying I do or don't believe in it, but if they do exist, it'd also make sense to somehow not get the toxins in the first place. I tried searching around, but I can't seem to find anything? :think:

GreenTiger, from what I understand the paleo diet is basically eating lean meats, fish, fruits, and non starchy vegetables, and there seems to be a good deal of research backing it up. I ended up following a diet similar to it, and I haven't really had any negative reaction to it, which is good! The other day though, my sister's friend who is a post grad anthropologist touted off at me saying "If we you were to actually eat food form the paleolithic era, you wouldn't be eating cows, you'd be eating boars, and a lot of the food has changed since then!!" :evil: :evil:" So I'm kind of confused as to what it means to follow the paleo diet. I asked you since I've seen you post about it before :3

Edited by tim12

Very good post.

I know exactly what you are saying but i also understand where people are coming from. I think part of it comes from the desperation and stigma people feel with acne which comes from the artificial images constantly forced upon us by the media.

Physically acne is not life threatening and i'm pretty sure the majority of people with acne will live exactly the same as people without, so whatever the underlying cause of acne is i don't think solving it will have much change on your overall health, for the majority of people.

In my personal opinion diet for the majority of people will not make a big difference to their overall health unless they are the unlucky minority of people who have underlying genetic weaknesses or have an ancestry that didn't evolve the ability to digest gluten or milk etc. I think other lifestyle choices are probably more important such as the amount of physical activity and your state of mind.

I think the affect of your state of mind on your health is massively understated. I personally believe removing stress from your life is the best thing you can do for your health [for the majority of people].

Mental disease seems to be a disease of the rich in terms of the world's population. I think the key is trying to reach a state of contentment, most of the World's population have lives that people in the "West" [who i am guessing most the people on here are from] would consider terrible and yet i'm i would hazzard a guess they have better states of mind.

And now to sound completely hypocritical i personally realise diet can have an effect on the health of some people because i'm pretty sure that what i eat affects my health directly although i think it is because of genetic weakness that the majority don't have. I have a rare condition called erythromelalgia, of which, in my country anyway, is basically unheard of. I don't bother mentioning it to anyone i know because i know the reaction i will get. In fact i know from the reaction i have had from the numerous doctors i have seen that most of them couldn't really care less as i am a minority and it isn't supposed to be life threatening, which is fair enough i guess.

I am guilty more than most of moving from one thing to the next in desperation.

Anyway, I think the benefits of the Paleo diet, for the majority of people, are massively overstated.

Also i agree that the candida phenomenon is highly likely to be nonsense. I need to look into it more but maybe many people who think they have candida may actually have small intestine bacterial overgrowth, or maybe it's just more nonsense.

I think the affect of your state of mind on your health is massively understated. I personally believe removing stress from your life is the best thing you can do for your health [for the majority of people].

Mental disease seems to be a disease of the rich in terms of the world's population. I think the key is trying to reach a state of contentment, most of the World's population have lives that people in the "West" [who i am guessing most the people on here are from] would consider terrible and yet i'm i would hazzard a guess they have better states of mind.

I agree!

According to the World Health Organization, depression is supposed to be the 2nd leading cause of diseases and disabilities by the year 2020.

Tim, Paleo people don't eat cow. Paleo will eat chicken, turkey, and wild game.

As for the topic. Yeah you can definitely say people jump to conclusions way too fast. But you can't blame them. This is a disease that can effect people very deeply, a lot of us who have had severe acne, it's like carrying a boulder on your back everyday. It's really hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel. People will do anything to scratch there way out.

When you say bad skin shedding/hormones, you do know both of those plays directly into diet correct? Eating the correct way and taking the right supplements will fix your insides. You can regulate your hormones, and actually change your type of skin just by diet. Before I did a complete revamp of my diet, I had completely different skin. My skin was extremely dry always, blotchy, and rough. Now my skin complexion is even, I never have dry skin, it's evenly moist, and its extremely soft. This is completely by diet and vitamins.

I still truly believe every single acne case if because of poor diet, food intolerances, and minor diseases. I DON'T believe in Candida. That's one thing I don't buy. Leaky gut is 100% true, Celiac's Disease is 100% true, poor digestion/liver/kidneys is 100% true.

The natural way takes time, but does work. Everyone just has to find what works for them through trial and error.

What Riddled said is very true as well. Never underestimate the power of the mind. I for one have always been an optimist person, so that really could have been a big reason for my success. Again, DIET effects mental health as well, A LOT more then people think.

It's "simple" but at the same time very complex lol. Eat healthy, sleep well, take your vitamins, drink lots of water, and smile as much as possible. The things all of our moms have always been telling us since day one :D

Hehe I was just exaggerating what she was saying, but basically her point (as an anthropologist, as she put it >.>) was that it isn't possible to have a similar diet to people in the paleolithic, and that we've changed and adapted since then. I didn't argue with her because I don't know much on the subject, and she was raging :3

I do agree however that putting good stuff into your body, whether it's under the rules of a diet or ayuvedic treatment, will yield good results. Put bad stuff in, bad things happen. And I also agree that the whole biological/psychological role in health is very complex.

Just to clarify I'm not dissing on anyone's methods or beliefs, in fact I believer in both alternative and modern medicine so long as it's backed up with some sort of evidence.

Hehe I was just exaggerating what she was saying, but basically her point (as an anthropologist, as she put it >.>) was that it isn't possible to have a similar diet to people in the paleolithic, and that we've changed and adapted since then. I didn't argue with her because I don't know much on the subject, and she was raging :3

I do agree however that putting good stuff into your body, whether it's under the rules of a diet or ayuvedic treatment, will yield good results. Put bad stuff in, bad things happen. And I also agree that the whole biological/psychological role in health is very complex.

Just to clarify I'm not dissing on anyone's methods or beliefs, in fact I believer in both alternative and modern medicine so long as it's backed up with some sort of evidence.

Didn't they just discover that humans were eating grains far sooner than what was originally thought,too? I saw a yahoo article on it,but didn't care to go through the thing

I went on a gluten-free diet once and it was a very sad time-period for me that offered no benefit to my skin,so I try not to read too much into it.I don't want to get scared into doing that again :lol:

Didn't they just discover that humans were eating grains far sooner than what was originally thought,too? I saw a yahoo article on it,but didn't care to go through the thing

I went on a gluten-free diet once and it was a very sad time-period for me that offered no benefit to my skin,so I try not to read too much into it.I don't want to get scared into doing that again :lol:

No way, that's good news! I've been eating PB & J sanwhiches with virgin coconut oil, and I have been getting a couple new pimples, but this may be from the peanut butter. Or it could be hormones, that I'm starting school again soon, that my cat is getting old :wacko:

I love my spaghetti and sandwiches :3 I have to pay a visit to the gluten free grocery mart to at least give the food a try. Whether or not gluten exacerbates my acne, I don't really know, but if it's a possible cause then I think it's worth cutting out if I can find a good alternative.

One thing I do miss though, is oreos and milk. ohohoh.

No way, that's good news! I've been eating PB & J sanwhiches with virgin coconut oil, and I have been getting a couple new pimples, but this may be from the peanut butter. Or it could be hormones, that I'm starting school again soon, that my cat is getting old :wacko:

I love my spaghetti and sandwiches :3 I have to pay a visit to the gluten free grocery mart to at least give the food a try. Whether or not gluten exacerbates my acne, I don't really know, but if it's a possible cause then I think it's worth cutting out if I can find a good alternative.

One thing I do miss though, is oreos and milk. ohohoh.

I will never doubt someone if they say gluten breaks them out,it's just not something that made any sort of difference for me personally. There's lots of people who are so adamant that everyone absolutely needs to go on paleo/grain-free/milk free/whatever and when someone says they tried and it didn't see improvements the automatic response is,"You did the diet wrong." or something. It's really frustrating. I agree that diet is important for you skin and overall health,but whether or not something worsens a specific person skin is not something I'd antagonize them over.

Milk is definitely something that makes my acne worse,which is sad. I often have to make two meals because it's not fair to my husband (I do the cooking).I still eat things with milk content,but it's very sparingly and uncommon.

I'll occasionally eat and oreo or two,and today I even had a butterfinger. I don't really have too much obviously junky foods,but I allow myself to them have them a couple times in a month.Not because I'm worried about my skin,but just for overall health.

I also have a desire to take fish oil again,but that as well doesn't have any sort of side affect in my skin that is noticeable.

There's people that try certain supplements/diets for acne and gave them up entirely when they don't work,but something like fish oil isn't just beneficial for just your skin...and people completely disregard that.It also doesn't inconvenience you,they're pretty cheap,etc.

lol, oreos and PB for me. I just miss peanut butter in general. I use to eat it like nothing, go through a big jar in 2-3 days.

Yeah I miss sandwiches too. My favorite bread it oat bread, stuff is heaven.

I don't eat gluten free just for acne. I stay away from it so I don't die lol. I have low level mental problems. Lol no I'm not crazy. I have anxiety issues, insomnia, ADD, and can be moody lol. But guess what? Since going gluten free, my anxiety is 85% better, still working on it, my insomnia is GONE, I sleep like a baby every night, my ADD is I'd say..90% better, can actually relax and actually LISTEN to what is going on around me. Before I couldn't read a page out of a book before realizing I was thinking about something else, could never stay focused. And my mood is WAYY better. Only time I get moody or irritable now is if there is a legit reason. Before I would get irritable for absolutely nothing.

So yeah, I care about my overall mental state a lot more then my skin, being a buddha. Well, a learning buddha. I want to be a full buddha within the next 2 years. Have started attending sessions in Ontario. Buddhism is the way to go, the happiest people in the world, that's a whole nother topic.

Gluten free just also helps my skin which is awesome. For me I am gluten, dairy, sugar, corn, soy, nut free. And yet I still have a hefty diet haha. People automatically assume that I eat nothing. When I actually eat A LOT more then the average person. People don't even realize it, but most people go through there day on less then 2,000 calories. Getting almost NO nutrition. So many of my friends don't even eat breakfast which is terrible for you, but only eat 2 meals a day and have their protein shakes and think they get plenty of food. "I'll have my coffee and toast in the morning..go to work..have a yogurt and some chips for snack..grab some pizza for dinner..maybe have a protein shake..finish off the night with more chips and beer."

I will never doubt someone if they say gluten breaks them out,it's just not something that made any sort of difference for me personally. There's lots of people who are so adamant that everyone absolutely needs to go on paleo/grain-free/milk free/whatever and when someone says they tried and it didn't see improvements the automatic response is,"You did the diet wrong." or something. It's really frustrating. I agree that diet is important for you skin and overall health,but whether or not something worsens a specific person skin is not something I'd antagonize them over.

Milk is definitely something that makes my acne worse,which is sad. I often have to make two meals because it's not fair to my husband (I do the cooking).I still eat things with milk content,but it's very sparingly and uncommon.

I'll occasionally eat and oreo or two,and today I even had a butterfinger. I don't really have too much obviously junky foods,but I allow myself to them have them a couple times in a month.Not because I'm worried about my skin,but just for overall health.

I also have a desire to take fish oil again,but that as well doesn't have any sort of side affect in my skin that is noticeable.

There's people that try certain supplements/diets for acne and gave them up entirely when they don't work,but something like fish oil isn't just beneficial for just your skin...and people completely disregard that.It also doesn't inconvenience you,they're pretty cheap,etc.

That's what I'm actually the most thankful for from having acne! I used to eat HORRIBLY before I had cystic acne. My family has a history of type 2 diabetes as well. I'm talking 2 or 3 fruits a week, almost no veges unless they were cooked beyond decent nutritional value, deep fried foods all the time, junk food all the time, etc. I figured I had a fast metabolism and that it wouldn't matter, but that'll eventually slow down. I was tired a lot, but strangely my acne was better, and different, than it is now. These diet changes and supplements are beneficial way beyond acne for me, it's a lifestyle that I've come to love and appreciate!

And I do believe in a soul food and enjoying a small slice of cake on birthdays, having desert after a dinner with friends (I eat out once a month or so), I just want to clear up a bit more than I am now and have my scars heal up before I have that oreo dipped in almond milk :wub:

As much as adult acne has has made me sad and depressed at times, I take positive things from it and my diet now is 100 times better than it was a few years ago. Friends I haven't seen in years are startled when they see me making a salad, and one of my best friends constantly says that he cant believe how well I eat compared to how I used to. So even if i was a depressing 6 months of my life with terrible acne, it has probably saved me 10 years of my life and I feel better than I ever did, aswell as performing better at all sports.

So in a strange way, thank you acne for making me the healthiest I've ever been.

:)

Stay positive guys, this forum has helped me so much.

I don't think it's a coincidence that when I got rid of acne, I also stopped getting sick so easily, stopped hair loss, stopped low energy, depression and a host of other stuff. There's a puzzle in everybody waiting to be solved. Acne is connected to our inner health so it's not unusual to see so many conditions mentioned, at least that's the way I see it.

I used to read and post on this section of the forum every single day for months. The kinds of things that I let fill my mind as a result of that activity was a little shocking. I thought that I had Candida, Diabetes, etc. I even unnecessarily altered my way of living because I believed that I had these conditions. A few appointments to the Doctor later, and I find out I didn't have any of these problems. I started eating a low GI diet, took a select few vitamins, increased my water intake, and reduced my stress. What do you know, it's been working. Strange.

I understand that everyone wants something to blame for their acne. To them, and even to me, something as generic as "Oh, you're going through puberty" just isn't enough. Something like acne just can't be a result of something like that; it has to be something more. Really, I would wager to say that nearly everybody on this section of the website doesn't have the conditions they think they might have. Obviously there are people that on here do do have the conditions that claim they do, but those are seriously far and few.

Edited by Jaerid

It is 'poor skin shedding' and hormones but those things are affected by diet and other health issues like food intolerances, low stomach acid/poor digestion, and the like.

For example, it's your liver's job to remove excess hormones, if it can. Now I don't agree that we all have weak livers like quite a few posters tell us, but there's a lot of habits in the typical diet that impair liver function.

The beauty is that nutrient dense, anti-inflammatory, blood sugar stabilizing diet habits that don't include anything you have an intolerance for is good for everything.

I'm sure there are plenty of hypochondriacs here, but no it's not everyone and it's never seemed like everyone to me.

lol Vista I said the same thing. It's true though, Acne is an internal problem. It's not genes that we are bound to have acne until it goes away. It's not a hygiene problem like so many think. It is an internal problem.

Every disease is an internal problem.

Edited by Thehoper

lol Vista I said the same thing. It's true though, Acne is an internal problem. It's not genes that we are bound to have acne until it goes away.

Well, it is genes as well. There are a number of ways we may be genetically prone to acne. A tendency towards hyperkeratinization is supposed to be genetically influenced. Some of us have more of the enzymes that convert DHT than others which may be a genetic trait. Some of us are more adapted to digesting grains, dairy and other problematic foods. Some are genetically prone to insulin resistance, etc.

But that doesn't mean you can't those issues aren't affected by diet and lifestyle habits and can't be controlled.

I think it's in the nature of acne sufferers to find some kind of causation that they can attribute to their acne.

Oh course we just dont wanna have to accept that it could just be our bad skin genes, because if we accept that we loose hope of finding a cure. :(

lol Vista I said the same thing. It's true though, Acne is an internal problem. It's not genes that we are bound to have acne until it goes away.

Well, it is genes as well. There are a number of ways we may be genetically prone to acne. A tendency towards hyperkeratinization is supposed to be genetically influenced. Some of us have more of the enzymes that convert DHT than others which may be a genetic trait. Some of us are more adapted to digesting grains, dairy and other problematic foods. Some are genetically prone to insulin resistance, etc.

But that doesn't mean you can't those issues aren't affected by diet and lifestyle habits and can't be controlled.

Probably the most important genetic factor imho, is the sensitivity of the skin/sebaceous glands to androgens. This varies among people, and varies in different parts of the body as well. People with acne don't commonly have obviously elevated levels of androgens or androgen metabolites... their skin just reacts to them differently.

With inflammatory acne, immune system regulation (whether by genetics or by diet) is definitely a factor as well. We all have p. acnes producing inflammatory fatty acids in our pores, even those with perfectly clear skin... but only some immune systems freak out and send legions of neutrophils to the site.