Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RedRipe

Almost Clear! A few skincare questions...

Wow. Getting clear has been a long journey, fraught with peril and uncertainty! After disappearing from these boards, I'm back with a quick success story...and a few questions. ;)

At this point, I am 99% clear. I know what my food triggers are, and I pay the price when I break the rules. It's been a time-consuming process, but I needed to take it slow with my food elimination. Every time I tried to give up too many foods at once, I ended up cranky and hungry. I'd see results, and then I'd break the rules, and I could never figure out which food was the culprit.

Following a flexible anti-candida diet has been a great start. My biggest trigger is gluten...then comes sugar and foods that cause a glycemic spike. I can do dairy in small amounts, but too much gunks up my colon. Without proper digestion, all of those yummy foods start to ferment. When this happens, the candida start to flourish, and I'm back at square one.

I'd like to make separate post about cleansing and healing. For now, I'm still trying to figure out a skincare routine that works. Here's what I've learned so far:

1. Less is more. I wash my face once a day. If I'm wearing makeup, I'll lather up with some olive oil soap or wipe away the makeup with a cleansing oil. If I'm not wearing makeup, cold water and a microfiber cloth does the trick.

2. My skin needed oil. After all those years of over-the-counter cleansers and oil-fighting products, I've learned that my skin was actually THIRSTY. It loves high-quality oils, and I've seen a huge difference in my complexion.

And here are my questions:

1. How to naturally clear those pores? The oil seems to loosen the grime, but my pores are large and damaged. I'd like to find a gentle way to fix that.

2. A good winter moisturizer? I've been using a blend of jojoba and sweet almond oil, but this winter weather is taking a toll. No matter how much oil I apply, my skin wants more. If I put TOO much on, my skin still feels dry and I look slick and shiny. Is there something I can add in the winter that will protect my skin without clogging it up?

Thanks acne.org! I never could have done it without you. ;)

Good advice! I've used manuka honey in the past with good results.

Have you seen any difference between manuka honey and any type of high quality honey? Just wondering, as manuka is costly.

Good advice! I've used manuka honey in the past with good results.

Have you seen any difference between manuka honey and any type of high quality honey? Just wondering, as manuka is costly.

price is what you pay, value is what you get.

it's worth it.