Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
iriskw1

OMG! I can't believe it; I'm healed!

I'm an Asian female in my late 20s.

I've never suffered from acne. Well, 2 - 3 pimples do come up especially during the time of the month, but these pimples eventually dissipates after several days.

Upon moving to Florida from D.C. last year, I gradually started to breaking out; it began with tiny clustter of bumps that started in my forehead area, which spread throughout my face. The bumps turned cystic. In a matter of 6 months, I went from "Miss Perfect Skin" to suffering with moderately severe acne. I've always been very confident (self-assured), but with a pizza face (I had approximately 60 - 70 pimples at a time), I became depressed and my self-esteem greatly suffered. I stopped attending parties and any social functions because of embarrassment. In fact, I started referring to my face as "the damn".

I desperately started searching for "the cure". I tried various over the counter products, changed to mineral makeup, started taking different supplements, joined the gym, changed my diet and even installed a water filtration system. I've tried everything except go the dermatologist (I was adamant in finding the cure for myself and not have to rely on drugs).

Apple cider vinegar? Check. Proactive? Check. No diary and sweets? Check. Eggs on my face? Check. And a host of other alternatives (chemicals and natural) in search for the cure (money down the drain).

Thankfully, in visiting acne.org, I had read a post about the dangers of caffeine and how it can aggravate skin conditions such as acne and it adversely affect the adrenal glands. Anyway, come to think of it, since moving to Florida, I have taken up drinking ice tea on a regular massive amount. I substituted ice tea with water and it became my beverage of choice since it's refreshing and perfect for the humid / hot weather. I consumed approximately 500 mg of caffeine daily (about 1 to 1.5 gallons). Besides acne, I also suffered from constant migraine.

I decided to quit cold turkey even if the medical experts do not believe that diet is related to acne. I had severe withdrawals - constant headaches, irritability, body aches, restlessness and insomnia. It lasted almost 4 weeks. The first week was the worse. I envisioned clear skin for myself and this encouraged me to keep going (will power). At the same time, I also changed my diet consuming foods with anti-inflammatory benefits. I also started taking supplements such as fish oil, turmeric and cayenne pepper because of their anti-inflammatory properties.

I'm happy to announce that after 4 months, I'm free of acne. Currently, I have no active pimples despite my stressful schedule. I still do have some hyper pigmentation, but these will eventually fade with time.

I hope that you find my story inspiring. Please don't give up. Eventaully, you will find your cure. There's a light at the end of the tunnel.

Think positive and have a great new year.

Edited by iriskw1

4 weeks? exaggerating a little i think...

i was a heavy caffeine drinker im talking 4L per day and it only took 3 days cold turkey so i doubt you was getting the withdrawl for 4 weeks lol

im glad you got no acne i wish i had no acne :(

No, I'm not exaggerating and you have to realize that everyone is different. Also, according to symptomsofcaffeinewithdrawal.com, it "can last up to a few months". Furthermore, I have spoken to others who have quit and the duration of withdrawal varies - ranging from a few days to weeks to even a couple of months. Obviously, I am very sensitive to caffeine and it affected me negatively. I'm glad it had only taken you 3 days worth of withdrawal symptoms, but I had headaches and body aches for almost 4 weeks, which can only be contributed to my body getting rid of the caffeine. Now, I rarely get any headaches.

Also, I'm not obligated to post here, but I took the time out of my busy schedule so others may know that acne can be beaten by finding the cause (not to lose hope). So please sarcasm is so inappropriate since it discourages others from postings.

I do hope you find a cure for yourself.

4 weeks? exaggerating a little i think...

i was a heavy caffeine drinker im talking 4L per day and it only took 3 days cold turkey so i doubt you was getting the withdrawl for 4 weeks lol

im glad you got no acne i wish i had no acne :(

Edited by iriskw1

* This is an edit. Mrs. Grape doesn't live here anymore.

Cya, the Org.

Edited by Mrs. Grape

I'm always aware of the positive and negative effects of caffeine. The smell alone makes me inspired and motivated, let alone if I drink 5, 6 cups.

On the other hand it can make me itchy, sleepless and makes my stomach upset. I'm not sure what effect it has on my acne. I've cut it out for 3 weeks last year and I don't think it made a big difference. I definitely didn't clear up in 1 week like you mentioned. 1 week! Wow! That's a great success. I always hope there's such a major, simple thing contributing to my breakouts but I doubt it.

I've cut out alcohol completely now. Then again, I have had months of clear skin while going on a binge every other day in college.

Being careful with sugar is a good idea anyway. And like ^ says, may have been contributing hugely too.

How's decaf coffee or sugar-free icetea working for you? Have you experimented with that?

Edited by legato

Wow, congratulations OP, that's so fantastic :D

It appears like you were pretty intensely sensitive to caffeine! That's crazy. Caffeine does raise cortisol in our body... the stress hormone, which contributes to acne quite heavily, and obviously quite a lot for you. So happy for you that you figured it out!

Give up caffeine?! Whoa O_O I don't know if I can do that. I drink about 18oz of coffee every morning and I can't give it up. I LOVE it and it's really the only thing I "indulge" in. Honestly I think it's great that giving up on caffeine helped you, but for years, YEARS, as a kid and in college I drank nothing but soda. Dark soda such as Coke and Pepsi and I hardly got acne during those years. Personally I blame my acne on all the crap I put on my face. Once I started "grooming" my face more is when I noticed getting more acne.

Congrats :D

I'm happy to hear that you healed !

Thanks for sharing your fantastic story .

------------

I'm healed from acne and want to help other people with acne:

www.payzeno.com/a/itmodel/9791

Edited by antiac