Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Montague

My accutane journey, 2nd time lucky right?

WADDAPPPP,

So seeing as i've pretty much just started Accutane, I thought i'd jump on this log bandwagon and hopefully try and give a little comfort or support to anyone also on, or thinking of trying Accutane to help clear their acne.

My name is Jordon, i'm a 20 year old male from Edinburgh, Scotland. I've had acne since puberty and ever since it hit i've tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. I've been prescribed numerous skin ointments and creams (some of which pretty much burned my face off), and at least 4 different drugs that I can think of, off the top of my head. I've tried pretty much every product out there, from Oxy (retro days ;) ) to Clearasil and whitchazel. I've spent a fortune on overly expensive facial cleansers such as Chanel and Clarins, all with little or no effect. I have actually been on Accutane before. When I was 18, i was given 20mg for two months, but didn't do any more (as I moved town I was put to the back of the queue to see a dermatologist on the NHS, so i finished my batch about a month and a half before i had a chance to see a derm so thought there was little point, as i was pretty busy with exams at the time). It completely cleared my skin within a month, but less than a year later it all came back. I knew it would as I didn't finish the course, but knowing it's going too at some point doesn't make it any more bearable.

So now, 2 years later, i'm back on the Isotreti-train (see what I did there?), and I plan to fill you guys up on whats happening with my skin weekly. If you have any questions or whatever about how i'm doing, or what my routine is, then i'd only be too willing to help.

Here's some background on me:

I'm a gym enthusiast, majorly. I go to the gym usually about 5 or 6 times a week, and recently my workouts have been becoming a lot more intense (Holiday to Greece in July you see), so the side effect of muscle aches is worrying me a little, but I'm pretty sure any i'm experiencing right now is down to my routine as oppose to the drugs.

I'm pretty paranoid about my skin, and have been photosensitive from a young age, therefore i wear a spf daily. Usually at SPF20 in the winter, and SPF50 during the summer (regardless of living in Scotland, my skin burns insanely easily.

I'm currently taking 40mg until the end of the month, then will be taking 80mg for the next three months. I started January first so have been taking them now for 2 weeks, i'm 1/8 through my treatment which is quite exciting. No side effects apart from the initial breakout, and dry lips. Also excessive sweating at the gym, but as I say, that could easily be because of my increased workout.

I've attached a pic of my skin now, and i'll fill you guys in next week.

Until then, Peace out, Jordon xpost-143790-1295052029_thumb.jpgpost-143790-1295051988_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295051988_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295052029_thumb.jpg

Hi there! I'm in Scotland too (Aberdeen). I've just been to see a derm and I'll be starting accutane pretty soon.

Your skin really looks quite OK though! Was the IB really bad? I'm so worried about that, and the muscular side effects ...

Hi there! I'm in Scotland too (Aberdeen). I've just been to see a derm and I'll be starting accutane pretty soon.

Your skin really looks quite OK though! Was the IB really bad? I'm so worried about that, and the muscular side effects ...

Hey!

Aberdeen huh? That's where I was given roaccutane the first time. The hardest bit is the waiting time there, and finding the dermatology clinic in that maze of a hospital.

My skin was a lot worse back then (I'll grab a picture from facebook to show you), but after the 2 months at 20mg, it never ever came back as worse, however it did come back. My initial breakout both this time and last have been really similar. It's happened both times around the one week mark of being on the drug. My skin has got really really red and greasy, and i get odd spots all over my face. But I really wouldn't worry about it, it's lasted for about a week before it's started to calm down. I'm just over 2 weeks in now and I can already see my face start to recover from the IB. The pictures I posted last night pretty much shows the extent of the IB this time. General redness and odd spots over my forehead and cheeks. It's usually just my jawline and lower cheeks where I have acne. But think about it, a small amount of time for your skin to get worse before it gets really really nice is nothing in the long run, so chin up.

As for muscular pains, I didn't experience any first time round and i'm pretty sore this time. However, i think it's because I do weights a lot, and i pretty much live at the gym. I wouldn't worry too much about it. You can take painkillers (although i forget which ones, so better double check) for any pain you experience, although if you're becoming increasingly uncomfortable, speak to your derm and see what he can do :)

Hope that helps. And behold, Jordon version 1....

post-143790-1295116512_thumb.jpg

Hey guys,

I know it's only been a few hours since my last post but I was wondering about Moisturisers? I'm pretty much just coming out of my IB stage so my skin is in a weird transformation from greasy to dry and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for moisturisers? I was using Clarins Hydro gel for men, but it's making a bit too heavy, i think i'll probably save it for when i'm really dry (considering it's about £30 a bottle :| ), and today I bought the E45 moisturising cream, but im finding it a bit heavy for my face, and quite hard to rub in.

And suggestions would be great :D

Hope you're all well, and not having the same rubbish weather us Scots are getting.

Jordon x

Day 17:

Hey, how you all doing? Well day 17, and I totally take back what I said about the initial breakout looking like it's calming down. I woke up today and my skin has pretty much exploded. There's lots of new activity on my forehead and on my cheekbones. I'm not seeing it clear up at all yet, but my skin is drying out pretty rapidly so hopefully it shouldn't be long before I start seeing some results, fingers crossed.

I bought some E45 shower emolliant cream which i'm using for my body and my face once a morning in the shower (or after gym), E45 moisturising cream for my body and Clarins Hydro Active for men on my face (which seems to be the only moisturiser i've found so far thats not making the skin on my face peel.). On a negative note, the Clarins moisturiser is about £30 a bottle, so if you have any cheaper suggestions, do let me know.

side effects : Dry skin, dry lips, nosebleed (which was on the bus, and all i had to stop it was my bus ticket, joy), back ache and very very very vivid dreams.

About the dreams: I have been having the craziest dreams since I started accutane. Like super crazy, and considering I rarely ever dreamed before, i'm almost sure this is because of the drug. I'm dreaming every night, and they're so clear in my head, even now. I dreamt that I was clubbing with my best friend and Snooki from the jersey shore, then we all got kebabs. I dreamt that I went on holiday to Canada with a friends boyfriend (who i've never met, only seen pictures of) only to be turned away because I didn't have a canadian accent. They're so vivid and clear, it's odd. I looked it up on here and apparently it's common? Have you ever experienced this? So odd.

Anyway, i posted some pics so you can see where i'm at.

Hope you're all well, and until next time ;)

Jordon xpost-143790-1295226598_thumb.jpgpost-143790-1295226660_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295226598_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295226660_thumb.jpg

Hi again

Sorry no advice on accutane moisturisers, although I read on another log that some people find Clinique dramatically different gel and their Moisture Surge one good.

Your IB really doesn't look bad at all, in fact, your skin is already looking pretty good.

I really am dreading this IB, I hate having to go to work if I'm having a bad breakout (which is pretty much all the time for the past few months, pre-accutane...). Oh well, will just have to put up with it!

Day 17:

About the dreams: I have been having the craziest dreams since I started accutane. Like super crazy, and considering I rarely ever dreamed before, i'm almost sure this is because of the drug. I'm dreaming every night, and they're so clear in my head, even now. I dreamt that I was clubbing with my best friend and Snooki from the jersey shore, then we all got kebabs. I dreamt that I went on holiday to Canada with a friends boyfriend (who i've never met, only seen pictures of) only to be turned away because I didn't have a canadian accent. They're so vivid and clear, it's odd. I looked it up on here and apparently it's common? Have you ever experienced this? So odd.

dude, looking good with your progress on accutane!

yeah, crazy dreams are a norm... it seems so real... i dreamt some mad dream about jumping off a building... so yeah, its common! i wouldn't be too freaked out if i were you.

Day 17:

Hey, how you all doing? Well day 17, and I totally take back what I said about the initial breakout looking like it's calming down. I woke up today and my skin has pretty much exploded. There's lots of new activity on my forehead and on my cheekbones. I'm not seeing it clear up at all yet, but my skin is drying out pretty rapidly so hopefully it shouldn't be long before I start seeing some results, fingers crossed.

I bought some E45 shower emolliant cream which i'm using for my body and my face once a morning in the shower (or after gym), E45 moisturising cream for my body and Clarins Hydro Active for men on my face (which seems to be the only moisturiser i've found so far thats not making the skin on my face peel.). On a negative note, the Clarins moisturiser is about £30 a bottle, so if you have any cheaper suggestions, do let me know.

side effects : Dry skin, dry lips, nosebleed (which was on the bus, and all i had to stop it was my bus ticket, joy), back ache and very very very vivid dreams.

Anyway, i posted some pics so you can see where i'm at.

Hope you're all well, and until next time ;)

Jordon xpost-143790-1295226598_thumb.jpgpost-143790-1295226660_thumb.jpg

Hey there! I just started accutane Jan 11th and when you were commenting about the crazy vivid dreams it totally made sense. The last 3 nights Ive had the strangest and vivid dreams! I remember them quite well too! The other night I dreamed I was on a hillside on a picnic and all i brought to eat were these beautiful peaches.. canned, fresh sliced, dried..you name it. So weird.

Anyway not to get too off topic, your info totally helped. I'm pretty active myself and I was worried abt not being able to work out. The first 3 days I was really tired and had no energy for my 2 mile run and 1 hr cardio class. Today I was fine. Just dry lips and drinking LOTS of water! I live in California by the beach and the weather has been nice.

Hey there! I just started accutane Jan 11th and when you were commenting about the crazy vivid dreams it totally made sense. The last 3 nights Ive had the strangest and vivid dreams! I remember them quite well too! The other night I dreamed I was on a hillside on a picnic and all i brought to eat were these beautiful peaches.. canned, fresh sliced, dried..you name it. So weird.

Anyway not to get too off topic, your info totally helped. I'm pretty active myself and I was worried abt not being able to work out. The first 3 days I was really tired and had no energy for my 2 mile run and 1 hr cardio class. Today I was fine. Just dry lips and drinking LOTS of water! I live in California by the beach and the weather has been nice.

Yeah it's so absurd! The latest dreams have been hilarious, kinda gutted I keep waking up. As for working out, honestly, i've noticed no change. I've been sweating more and that's about it, I think it's probably because i'm drinking ridiculous amounts of water, so if you're doing this too, I imagine we'll be fine :D Good luck and let me know how you get on with your workouts on accutane

Jordon x

Day 19:

What's happenin' dawgs????

So I thought i'd do a little big of filling in as I bought some new stuff today to use on my face and thought you might want to know what i'm using.

So I ran out of my Clarins Hydro active gel for men today which was annoying, so I decided to look for a cheaper option as the Clarins stuff is £30, and although it's good, i'm going through moisturiser like crazy and really can't afford to spend that a week on moisturiser alone. So I was looking for something i've seen mentioned on here a few times called Cetaphil (I think), but couldn't seem to find it, but I found something else which seems hopeful called 'Simple kind to skin protecting moisture cream'. Its especially for dry skin and comes with SPF 10 to protect your skin from UV rays. I already use Clinique city block SPF40 anyway, but extra protection can't hurt. I don't know about where you live, but in Scotland we've just come out of our coldest winter in 100 years and temperatures are still struggling to get into the one degree celcius mark (thats about 33 fahrenheit), so i'm using it every time i get in from outside as the air is taking any moisture i have in my skin pretty quickly. Unlike the clarins, it's blue, so it does take a little bit of rubbing in, but it dries pretty quickly, and it feels great, so I highly recommend it.

For cleansing i'm using E45 emoilliant shower cream for my body and face in the shower (once a day) and i'm using E45 moisturising cream for my body.

In terms of hair...I stupidly in November got really drunk and thought it'd be a good idea to shave my head in a nightclub (don't ask, night clubs in Scotland be crazy), i proceeded to wake up the next morning in tears as it was pretty long before (my fringe could reach my lips). So, i'm really paranoid about my hair. After reading all sorts of horror stories about alopecia and hair thinning in men on the drug, I bought some anti-thinning shampoo just in case. It's brilliant. My hair feels thicker than before already, and i'm pretty sure if I was to lose a bit of hair, I wouldn't notice, which is great. I'm also using Aussie 3 minute miracle conditioner (the one for long hair) daily, just to make sure it doesn't go to dry. Again, it's a god send.

Lips: I was using carmex religiously until a colleague asked if I was wearing lipgloss. So I decided to ask if anyone had any suggestions for lip balms which are less shiney and someone came up with Burts Bee's. It comes in a chapstick and it's great for out and about, and I highly recommend it for guys. It's not shiney at all, and doesn't look like you have anything on your lips, but still makes them appear less chapped. It's also really cooling and takes the dryness off, as well as tasting like boiled sweets. I still use carmex when at home as it is brilliant, and no-one can say I look like dame edna at mine ;)

Side effects : Dryness of face and body, muscle aches after gym, excessive sweating at the gym, CRAZY dreams, slight rash on my right upper arm (I'm moisturising it, i'll keep you updated) and I think that's about it.

Hope you're all well,

Jordon x

post-143790-1295470922_thumb.jpgpost-143790-1295470934_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295470922_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295470934_thumb.jpg

Yeah it's so absurd! The latest dreams have been hilarious, kinda gutted I keep waking up. As for working out, honestly, i've noticed no change. I've been sweating more and that's about it, I think it's probably because i'm drinking ridiculous amounts of water, so if you're doing this too, I imagine we'll be fine :D Good luck and let me know how you get on with your workouts on accutane

Jordon x

Day 24:

Heyy, what's going on?

Just thought i'd give a quick update on how i'm getting on. There's not an awful lot to report to be honest, my skin is very dry, but the simple moisturiser I got is really helping. My lips are no where near as chapped as they were in the first and second week (pretty sure I have Burt's Bees to thank for this - LIFE SAVER). The rash on my upper right arm is gone, probably because im moisturising my body a lot more now.

One thing though, I was woken up last night by really bad stomach cramps, which was followed by Diarrhea (I know, lovely isn't it). It lasted about 10 minutes then stopped, and I had it again about an hour ago. I've read that loads of people get it, but i'll keep an eye on it to make sure it's nothing major. I have the derm again on the 28th for my blood test and hopefully to be put up to 80mg a day, so i'll let you know how I get on ;)

Hope you're all good.

Jordon x

Side effects: Dry skin, dry lips, nosebleed (it's only happened once but it was my first nose bleed ever, quite thrilling really), mild headaches, stomach cramp, diarrhea

post-143790-1295874870_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295874882_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295874892_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295874870_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295874882_thumb.jpg

post-143790-1295874892_thumb.jpg

Just been pulled off Roaccutane for having abnormal blood tests. Something to do with my liver. I have an appointment on Monday and I'm fucking terrified.

Yeah, fuck my life.

Guest Timehealsall

hey montague, how long was your acne moderate for before you went on accutane the first time?

Hopefully the blood tests come out okay.