Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kristen81

Yoghurt OK when going Dairy Free?

I am trying to go dairy free to try to clear up my mild adult onset cystic acne.

I have searched the forum topics and answers and can't find and answer to my question...

Can I still eat yoghurt while eliminating all other types of dairy or will the yoghurt still exacerbate my acne?

I know many people who are lactose intolerant can still eat yoghurt, but I'm not lactose intolerant, I just have bad skin and I want to try this as a possible solution. I would like to continue to eat yoghurt for it's health/digestive benefits if possible.

Has anyone tried eliminating dairy for acne but kept eating yoghurt? What were your results?

Thoughts?

You will have to eliminate it... It doesnt give you a lot of health and digestive benefits anyway.

Eliminate it initially if you want to be clear on the effects of dairy on your acne. Later, you can try adding yogurt and other fermented dairy back in, and see if it makes a difference.

Look into kefir as well, there's reason to believe its healthier than yogurt.

Edited by greentiger87

You will have to eliminate it... It doesnt give you a lot of health and digestive benefits anyway.

On the contrary, yogurt is extremely nutritious for its serving size, and it's been proven repeatedly that ingesting the beneficial (probiotic) bacteria associated with yogurt can ward off intestinal infections and work to re-establish the normal 'gut flora' during/after antibiotics.

Yogurt is, however, dairy, and re-introducing dairy into your diet is a personal decision -- I have done so for the last week and have not noticed any "cow hormones" reflected back onto my face :P, but everyone responds differently and you should consider your past history/food toxicity issues before making a decision.

Contrary to the other responses here, you do not have to do anything. But you should go completely dairy free for a month or so to test for intolerance. And it wouldn't be dairy free if you still had dairy-based yogurt

And then if you are going to try adding back some dairy, then organic, whole, plain yogurt is a good choice.

On the contrary, yogurt is extremely nutritious for its serving size, and it's been proven repeatedly that ingesting the beneficial (probiotic) bacteria associated with yogurt can ward off intestinal infections and work to re-establish the normal 'gut flora' during/after antibiotics.

Yogurt is, however, dairy, and re-introducing dairy into your diet is a personal decision -- I have done so for the last week and have not noticed any "cow hormones" reflected back onto my face :P, but everyone responds differently and you should consider your past history/food toxicity issues before making a decision.

Actually there's very little proof of that. What has been proven, however, is that the cultures and probiotics in things such as yogurt (acidophilus) don't survive the stomach and so there's very little benefit to eating yogurt with or without probiotics.

If you want the probiotics, just buy the special pill-form ones that are in time-release capsules that don't get broken down by the stomach, but actually reach your intestinal walls before being absorbed.

Edited by chunkylard

Probiotics are definitely great for digestion, and balancing your gut flora. In my findings, does nil for your skin, it made things worse!

Raw yogurt! Never heard of it...have to look into it...health food stores?

On the same note then, should unpasteurized cheese be ok too?

This isn't my personal opinion, but that of my nutritionist. She made me go on a dairy-free diet except for yogurt and cottage cheese. My skin improved drastically. I would recommend an Organic yogurt with probiotics. ;)

Btw, I believe "raw" dairy products can no longer be sold under new US laws...everything has to be pasteurized now.

Find a raw yoghurt and you will be fine. It's probably just the pasteurization of dairy that make us get acne

Comments like this are uninformed and unhelpful. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather have acne than bloody diarrhea and kidney failure from contaminated food products. :confused:

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/Co...s/ucm079516.htm

While pasteurization has helped provide safe, nutrient-rich milk and cheese for over 120 years, some people continue to believe that pasteurization harms milk and that raw milk is a safe healthier alternative.

Here are some common myths and proven facts about milk and pasteurization:

Pasteurizing milk DOES NOT cause lactose intolerance and allergic reations. Both raw milk and pasteurized milk can cause allergic reactions in people sensitive to milk proteins.

Raw milk DOES NOT kill dangerous pathogens by itself.

Pasteurization DOES NOT reduce milk's nutritional value.

Pasteurization DOES NOT mean that it is safe to leave milk out of the refrigerator for extended time, particularly after it has been opened.

Pasteurization DOES kill harmful bacteria.

Pasteurization DOES save lives.

Edited by Sandman21

I still believe in no dairy - its designed to make things grow fast. I believe that it makes our skin overgrow, i.e. over the pores, which is what causes acne. :P

As for heating it up to denature proteins in it, i think it will improve it, but i read that often with proteins it is like the hydrolysis of water, you can break them apart but as soon as you drop the electric current they slam back together again. Of course some of them will rebond differently so it improves it.

Edited by Claudio

I still believe in no dairy - its designed to make things grow fast. I believe that it makes our skin overgrow, i.e. over the pores, which is what causes acne. :P

As for heating it up to denature proteins in it, i think it will improve it, but i read that often with proteins it is like the hydrolysis of water, you can break them apart but as soon as you drop the electric current they slam back together again. Of course some of them will rebond differently so it improves it.

If a protein has any real tertiary or quaternary structure, then denaturation is pretty much irreversible. The conditions required for proper folding are really precise, often including post-transcriptional modification and influences from carbohydrate ligands.

But from what I understand, caseins (there are bunch of different types, which makes everything even more fun) have really weird properties compared to average proteins. They're flexible, openly structured, have very little traditional secondary and tertiary structure.. its just really weird. They can also melt, be heated for long periods of time and retain solubility in water... it gets a little crazy. When milk *curdles*, the casein clots with other portions of the milk by forming a matrix of micelles that holds fat and some water, but it doesn't denature in the sense that it stays chemically viable. Lowering the pH (acid "coagulation") results in the casein losing its negative charge, and thus losing its solubility in water - again, it precipitates into a matrix. It exists normally exists in milk as a calcium salt.

Strange that one of the most widely used and seemingly obvious examples of simple denaturation isn't really denatured at all :think: The more you learn, the more you realize you don't know.

This isn't my personal opinion, but that of my nutritionist. She made me go on a dairy-free diet except for yogurt and cottage cheese. My skin improved drastically. I would recommend an Organic yogurt with probiotics. ;)

Btw, I believe "raw" dairy products can no longer be sold under new US laws...everything has to be pasteurized now.

I live in Canada -- you can get unpasteurized cheese here.

Ah! Cottage cheese! Good to know! I'm going to try dairy free for several months then add yogurt and now cottage cheese back in and see what happens,.....do you know what it is about cottage cheese that makes it ok?

OH, and found Kefir at the store today -- since it's fermented milk does that make any difference?

heavy cream.

seriously, this stuff is so underrated when it comes to adding on extra calories.

I wont even TOUCH milk but heavy cream is a godsend.

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY
heavy cream.

seriously, this stuff is so underrated when it comes to adding on extra calories.

I wont even TOUCH milk but heavy cream is a godsend.

u tell me about it! :drool: