Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sam7867

has anyone here tried chinese herbs for acne?

I just started my third day of chinese herbs. I am working with an 8th generation herbalist who learned from her father in China, who learned from his father, etc.

This morning, I had no new acne and all the red marks from old acne are noticeably faded (some even seem to have dissappeared completely). I took some pics this morning and am going to take some more in a few days if I'm still seeing improvements. I'm worried that what I'm seeing is just my imagination since I want to be better so badly. However, the herbalist did tell me that I should feel and see noticeable improvement within one week. If not, then I am to come back and we will try a different formula...one week! So much different than western medications taking from 6 weeks to 6 months to see improvements...

I decided to see the herbalist after going to a dermatologist. The dermatologist told me "You have severe acne, you're starting to scar, and you're only option is accutane." I really don't want to just cover up the problem with a toxic medication, so I decided to seek other options and came accross Wei Li, an accupuncurist and herbalist here in Salem, Oregon.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

What does "Chinese herbs" even mean?

That's the most vague term I've ever heard. I could say I put herbs on my food and you wouldn't know whether I meant oregano or lavender.

@ chunkylard

When people say chinese herbs, they are usually referring to a specific practice of using medicinal herbs that originated in China. The herbs are things you can find in regular health stores like burdock, dandelion, mushrooms, ect. You can google Traditional Chinese Medicine or TCM for more information.

@lollypolly

I asked but now don't remember what she said was in my formula. All I know is my acne (that I was told was severe and my only option was accutane) is going away. It's a slow process but I can literally feel my body healing. My herbalists' theory is that I am extremely inflamed and have low immunity. She determined this by feeling my muscles, pulse, looking at my tounge and eyes, talking to me about whether I'm hot or cold, and sore or tender in particular areas, also about warts, which I guess means that you have low immunity. Everything about me pointed to these two issues. So she is giving me herbs to counteract this and it's working! I can't believe it. It's very slow and it will probably be another 6 months before I'm completely clear, but it's working. I don't sweat at night anymore and my shoulder muscles aren't aching. I also don't get cold hands and feet anymore (which she said is because my other muscles aren't so inflammed so they are allowing my blood to circulate better).

My other step is to work with a naturopath to do an elimination diet. Since my inflammation is supposedly a chronic condition from something I've been eating all my life that I'm sensitive too, unless I get rid of that food, the chinese herbs will only be a temporary fix. I'm also using some accupuncture just to help move the process faster, but this (according to both the herbalist and the naturpath) is the least important part of my treatment.

Let me know if you have other questions.

How is going now? I don't see an update. I am debating on seeing an acupuncturist/ TCM doctor. I currently drink a chinese herbal tea 3-5 times a day. Take vitex twice a day. A vitamin for healthy skin n hair. And I am going to add back omega oils. I had previously taken vitex and omega oils daily and within a few months I was completely clear. Unfortunately I stopped that about a year ago. But I am resuming it all. I also had been using proactiv to control the topical acne like the whiteheads. I would love to know if the tcm worked for you now that it has been about ten months later.

Total Body Modification (TBM) is probably a good option though I'm not doing that. I'm working specifically just with a naturopath and chinese herbalist. They are in the same office. The herbalist just changed my formula because we weren't getting the results she wanted. I was improved - no more night sweats and no more issues with hot inflamed skin. However, I still get acne, especially around my mestrual cycle. So now we are focusing on my stomach issues (lots of indigestion) and hormone issues. It's a long process and both the herbalist and naturopath told me it's on average 1 month per year of acne that it takes to start seeing true results...patience! So difficult!

Anyway, I haven't been able to identify any food items that might be culprits using the elimination diet, so I am getting an Ige test for food allergies to help me narrow things down. Also getting tested for mineral and vitamin deficiencies.

Also testing for a deficiency in hydrochloric acid. Basically, buy some 250 mg HCl and take one right before you eat a meal...if you get any heartburn symptoms, then you don't have a deficiency. If you don't have any symptoms, take 2 at your next 5 or 6 meals...still no symptoms, increase to 3 pills for 5 or 6 meals. Keep doing this until you experience heart burn. Then reduce the pills by one for all your meals for awhile. Retest at some point by adding another pill to a meal and see if you still experience the heart burn.

I am getting better, but it's taking lots of patience. My skin is not red and inflamed anymore and I have longer periods of healing in between flare ups...scars are healing very quickly compared to before. My circulation is greatly increased...it's been awhile since I've not had cold hands and feet all winter! Also, I don't experience inflammation and arthritis like symptoms in my muscles and joints. So I know my body is healing.

I use licorice root and ginger in my teas...little additions (like teas to regulate blood pressure/itching) when they're on sale. I don't base my strategies for relieving myself of acne on them, by any means. That's more left up to what I eat/drink/supplement with (probiotics are most important to me at the moment). Asian herbs/spices/formulas/teas are fun to play around with but I'd just be setting myself up for disappointment if I bought some say, ginseng, or an expensive tonic and expected it to clear up my complexion. But for overall health/having no expectations, sure, why not?