Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sam7867

RETIN-A SIDE EFFECTS... OILY SKIN ARGHHH

Hello there,

I have been using retin-A for the past four months and i have noticed my skin has become super oily and dry too (weird to explain, but most people who've already used this stuff will know exactly what i'm talking about lol).

Is my skin going to stay like this forever until i stop using Retin-A or will it soon balance my oils ?

Is there a moisturizer that i could use that will control my oil production? At the moment i'm using olay for sensitive skin( the new one) and its very oily, i just washed my face (its been about 10 minutes and you should see my face...honestly its like i've just ran a marathon lol...my face is covered in OIL arghh)

i would love to hear from you guys :)

btw its my first time posting on here :)

Edited by sam7867

I've noticed that combo on my face too!! I've been using tretinoin for 2 months to this date.

ANDDDDD I use Olay for sensitive skin (the new one) haha. So i'd love some imput on this too! I wonder if this isn't as good of a moisturizer as my derm said.

Ps - Have you cleared up? (even after month two my skin is AWFUL! . .still)

I am also having this problem. I think its only a side effect though and should subside once you stop using the medicine because I cant remember having this problem before using Retin A.

Hey friends. I wash with cetaphil gentle cleanser and i find this helps with my oiliness. After i wash with this i apply FINACEA. FINACEA absorbs oil for me and prevents breakouts. I suggest you try it. Remember........in most cases you dont need to wash your face lkonger than 20 or so seconds. You just want the oil off. DOnt dry the skin layers. Overdrying of the skin can cause a ramped up amount of oil. Good luck. Keep trying to get it right it will eventually come.

3 months on differin, in my IB, and my skin is VERY oily. I use at least 5 blotting papers a day. Could be it be because retinoids keep the pores open so the sebum is now flaoting freely instead of being tramped inside the pores? I don't think my skin looks irritated at all, so I'm very hesitent when it comes to moisturizing... I don't want to make things worse...

I've noticed that combo on my face too!! I've been using tretinoin for 2 months to this date.

ANDDDDD I use Olay for sensitive skin (the new one) haha. So i'd love some imput on this too! I wonder if this isn't as good of a moisturizer as my derm said.

Ps - Have you cleared up? (even after month two my skin is AWFUL! . .still)

I am still breaking out and get loads of red spots on my cheeks, I could barely feel the spot/bump but unfortunately it leaves a red mark which takes absolutely ages to go away, before TREATMENT my spots would get bigger and bigger and then the yucky puss would come out but now it stays small and goes away quickly but unfortunately leaving the ugly red marks :( i'm only using retin-a on my cheeks, nose and forehead ..i have noticed retin-a has done wonders to my nose lol (it got rid of all the blackheads really well, my nose is always shining now...haha in a nice way :) i dont know if its my imagination but i have noticed i have less acne scarring on my forehead too...i had a alot of icepick scars/dents and now they seem to have decreased, but like i said it could be my imagination.

I am also using manuka honey (haha got it on my face right now lol) and then wash it off, wait for half an hour, apply retin- a and then wait another half an hour and apply Aloe vera gel

3 months on differin, in my IB, and my skin is VERY oily. I use at least 5 blotting papers a day. Could be it be because retinoids keep the pores open so the sebum is now flaoting freely instead of being tramped inside the pores? I don't think my skin looks irritated at all, so I'm very hesitent when it comes to moisturizing... I don't want to make things worse...

Whats the difference between differin and retin-A ?

Hey friends. I wash with cetaphil gentle cleanser and i find this helps with my oiliness. After i wash with this i apply FINACEA. FINACEA absorbs oil for me and prevents breakouts. I suggest you try it. Remember........in most cases you dont need to wash your face lkonger than 20 or so seconds. You just want the oil off. DOnt dry the skin layers. Overdrying of the skin can cause a ramped up amount of oil. Good luck. Keep trying to get it right it will eventually come.

I'm from Uk and have ordered cetaphil bar and hoping to receive it soon. Finacea..haven't heard of that one before, will definitely look into it...does it have sunscreen??

F&*$ this S*$%!!! I should not have started using this crap!! I have such mixed feelings about quitting :doh:

i know i really want to quit too, but its been four months and maybe in another four months i will see some major improvements..who knows!

By the way, I've been using Retin A for about 6 months and my skin still gets really oily so I don't think waiting it out will help.

Has your acne cleared up? and which strength are you using?

It's very similar, also in the retinoid family, just a differint type. I believe differin should be slighly milder, thus also taking longer to see results, but I'm not sure. They both work the same.

Thinking of it, I also quit my birth control one month ago (which reduced the androgens in my body), so my oiliness could be related to that and not the differin.

If your face is still irritated, moisturizing is the solution. You skin produces more sebum when it's irritated.

It's very similar, also in the retinoid family, just a differint type. I believe differin should be slighly milder, thus also taking longer to see results, but I'm not sure. They both work the same.

Thinking of it, I also quit my birth control one month ago (which reduced the androgens in my body), so my oiliness could be related to that and not the differin.

If your face is still irritated, moisturizing is the solution. You skin produces more sebum when it's irritated.

which birth control pill were you on?? i've been on marvellon and diannette and had the worse ever side effects, i was on the pill for three years and my body couldnt take it so i had to come off and yeh it definitely did make my skin oilier when i came off last year, i've been struggling since then...i was acne free for three years when on the pill.. and now getting spots that i can no longer cope with..anyway goodluck with differin :) and thank you for the advise, my skin is quite irritated and does need a good moisturizer, but the problem is i have so sensitive skin and i cant find a good oil free moisturizer with sunscreen

which birth control pill were you on?? i've been on marvellon and diannette and had the worse ever side effects, i was on the pill for three years and my body couldnt take it so i had to come off and yeh it definitely did make my skin oilier when i came off last year, i've been struggling since then...i was acne free for three years when on the pill.. and now getting spots that i can no longer cope with..anyway goodluck with differin :) and thank you for the advise, my skin is quite irritated and does need a good moisturizer, but the problem is i have so sensitive skin and i cant find a good oil free moisturizer with sunscreen

I was on Diane 35 (which I think is the same is Diannette), which is packed with estrogens. Really worked , but I always continued to have mild acne. (It used to be moderate borderlining severe, but I was 15 at the time). I'm hoping that now, in my adult years a topical treatment might be enough, so I went off Diane a month ago. I'm a very skinny and small girl, so the huge amounts of hormones gave me such unpleasent side effects, and still not a completely clear face that it was no longer worth it to me. Since the differin is really working on me, bringing out all the acne hidden underneath my skin, I'm thinking about starting to use Yaz after a month or so, to control the oiliness. But for now I want my body to get rid of the overload of estrogens first. Yaz is lighter and shouldn't have the same side-effects and still have a positive effect on acne/oily skin. I think I'm a case of 1. hormonal acne due to too much sebum production AND thick skin which doesn't profilirate fast enough so pores get easily clogged. So I'm hoping the Yaz/retinoids combo will finally do the trick for me.

I use Cerave lotion at night which is great in strengthening your skin barrier and not so expensive. They also have a day-time version with sunscreen, but lacking anti-oxidents, so I use Paula's Choice non-greasy sunscreen during the day and add the cerave when my skin feels irritated.

Edited by 20something20

By the way, I've been using Retin A for about 6 months and my skin still gets really oily so I don't think waiting it out will help.

Has your acne cleared up? and which strength are you using?

I'm using .04% and the area where I have been applying the medicine is for the most part pimple free. Small blackheads are still making there way out though. I suggest keeping on your regiment to get rid of acne.

I know what you guys mean. It's like skin limbo. Over tome your skin will begin to change and dry out. Just be patient. I've been on it for a year and got off bc 5 months ago. I've had breakout for sure. But that's cause I was over washing. The thing with ret. As is that you have to he gentle with the rest of your skin care. I've noticed that if you overwash in an area that has a zit or two that pimple will be more red and irritated if you were just more gentle with your skin. Are you guys mosturizing before you apply the topical? I know people say not to but trust me when you first start using a ret your skin wants that buffering effect. I've been on it for a year and I still do not apply it directly to my skin. Eventually yes. But you don't want to freak your skin out. It's powerful stuff man. And I'm still fooling around with my regimen because I have yet to perfect it.

ive been in Differin for 1.5 months and during the day my skin gets increasingly oily, too. at the end of the day it's oilier than ever. this started when i started using differin.

very hesitant about moisturizing as well.

Definitely make sure you moisturize regardless. My skin is oily too, but if you don't replenish the moisture the Defferin takes out, your skin will become increasingly irritated.

Plus, moisturizers (if using the right ones) will help keep oiliness down.

Edited by freeride6772

i used retin a for about a month and a half and it did dry my skin out. but i cant remember it being oily i havent used it for about a month now on the 10th im starting to use accutane.

but cleanser and retin a helped me out a bit

I tried the mildest Retin A prescription for 3 months and stopped because I looked pink even though I was not getting much sun. My skin now is worse than in about 15 years. The oiliness is unbearable - it is not a surface oil anymore - it feels like it goes down for layers and layers and it is so sticky and I can't get rid of this at the moment. My skin feels REVOLTING. I was so in praise of Retin-A in first few weeks but the beautiful appearance it gave to my skin at first soon faded. I know people say try it for 6 months, but I'd simply rather have the normal really oily spotty skin I had before rather than this odd feeling on my face like I've completely f*cked around with its natural balance... my skin is so, so clogged now.