Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ben16

Hi, I am new and would like to share my story...

Hi guys,

I am new to this board. I have been lurking for quite some time now and decided to join and share my story with ya'll so perhaps I could get some tips or anyone out there who can relate to my story.Anyway here we go.

I am a sixteen year old dude and have been dealing with acne since my 13-14th. Luckily I've never gotten to the stage where I could call it real severe.I have rarely gotten any huge cysts throughout the years, mostly mild pimples and major redness. I have tried tons of products as everyone else, and none of them rarely worked.Even if they did, the results were only temporary. From the beginning on, I always knew that there was a strong conenction between acne and food unlike all the stories we get to hear from our 'great' doctors implying there is no connection whatsoever, that it has been proven , this and that.

Some of the products I've used in the past couple of years:

Clearasil (a startoff, what a crap)

BP Gel 2,5 & 5%, (no success either, increased redness and major dryness)

Tetracycline (during winter, didnt help either)

Clinique Skin Products (fragrance and oil free so figured it might help, was wrong yet again)

Teat Tree Oil (seemed to help at first, though the redness problem again)

And few others I cant think of at the moment.

I drank so many liters of water and green tea , untill I finally had to make a conclusion that water does not clear up acne in any way.It might be good for your overall health but surely is not the secret to a clear skin, something we are told by almost everyone.

On the moral side, acne turned my life really into hell.I have no confidence whatsoever, have dropped out of school a year ago and am still fighting the insecurity issue.It has caused me so much more though, I have developped an eating disorder because of the fact that I had to diet all the time in order to beat acne and clear up my skin through the inside.My dieting has always been with ups and downs, days of fasting, basically just eliminating almost everything except for raw fruits ,veggies and nuts/seeds.However I just cannnot hold on to this sort of diet as much as I want to get clear asap, my body just seems not to be able to adopt such a drastic change.The maximum ammount of days I hold on to this way of dieting was 6, the seventh day I remember passing the kitchen and it was like an attack coming my way, I literally just grabbed everything I could what what you can eat and just started binging for hours and hours.Since then I have tried to start the diet again and always always just failed.I know I should change my diet the way so my body can adopt it and we both benefit from it but I just can't. it's like I am fighting against something, I want quick, great results in one week already. I am ruining my body big time and I am only sixteen.You know when girls have eating disorders such as anorexia they sort of do it because they think they look abnormally fat to everyone and to themselves.With me, it's somewhat the same, the only thing I am fighting against is not my weight but the acne. It's like I try to have anorexic days by basically eating only like 3 apples and a cucumber a day but always end up 'boulimic' in the evening because i get one of those attacks , yet again. I just don't vommit afterwards, all I do is sit in my room and cry for hours asking God why I have been cursed like this. Telling myself it will all be over soon yet knowing it only sounds like a fairy tale. Facing the damn truth every single day, feeling miserable , going through life with no confidence whatsoever. Snapping at my friends for not understanding the way I feel and what is wrong with me and yet feeling ashamed of revealing the real truth. Being aware of the fact that I could clear up my acne all the way by simply following this diet and yet failling everytime attempting it.A battle I am fighting every single day, and a battle I am losing every single day.When is this going to end? I am only sixteen, maybe there is a chance of me growing out of it, maybe there is not.This just has to stop, I have to tell myself that this is no longer good for me, never been. I am doing the dieting thing yet again, it's like everytime after I fail and start again it's like I am more commited this time and yet it seems nothing than a big lie. One weak faillure, that is who I am. God, I can't even resist a chocolate bar or a hamburger!What is wrong with me? Why am I so doomed? It's like, it's not just acne I am battling now but also a sort of a mental disease caused my acne. I just hope someone can enlighten me alittle about what I should do and what the chances are of succeeding and holding on. I just wish I could treat my skin as natural as possible, it is only good on longer terms. But yeah, in order to fight acne I guess a lot of effort and sacrifices are required.And even then there is no guarantee of success. After all One can only Hope bb_icon_cry.gif

I know what you're going through. Acne is the source of all my problems and I feel I'm getting no where to my dream of being clear. I've even lost 3 stones in 1 year by avoiding acne causing foods.

Acne is a bastard

I know what you're going through. Acne is the source of all my problems and I feel I'm getting no where to my dream of being clear. I've even lost 3 stones in 1 year by avoiding acne causing foods.

Acne is a bastard

I was just like you, but I finally woke up. I said what if I had epilepsy, I have got no control and it is permanent. But acne are temporary and it might last for years but at least it can be cured.

Now my diet is:

1. No to fast food and greasy stuff.

2. One orange every day.

3. Avoiding chocolate and sweets.

and I usually eat at home and follow my regimen.

Good Luck

MF

Ben16,

Welcome to the board! My heart broke for you just reading your post; I too understand your frustration. I dealt with acne for about 30 years; it controlled my thoughts constantly and I missed out on so much over the years because I was so self-conscious of it. I went to TONS of doctors and they all said the same thing...."it's not related to diet"....."antibiotics will do the trick"......."you'll outgrow it"....etc. etc. etc. I also went through many years of counseling (I was told by a therapist that somehow I must feel that I don't deserve any better than this!). NONE of that worked, thus the 30 frustrating, embarrassing years of dealing with this. Following are the things that I have learned over the years.....that diet is only a part of the solution (and you don't have to limit yourself to veggies and nuts!). Dr. Perricone has written a book called the Acne Cure (or something like that) which outlines the diet for acne patients; in my opinion, it's excellent. There is a wealth of information in this book that I would say it is a MUST READ for anyone with acne. Exercise is also very important; even if I can't exercise, I do 10-20 deep holding breaths 2x/day.....when you oxygenate your blood, it has a wonderful cleansing effect on your whole body. In my case, I had the symptoms of hypothyroid for years but my tests would always come back negative so no one would treat me. I finally found a doc that treated me for hypo and the results have been incredible. If you're hypo (cold, fatigued, depressed, low body temp), your body can't stay warm enough to fight off infections and acne is one of the symptoms of this. My acne went away after a month on the meds; I still get breakouts occasionally but I simply adjust the meds and it goes away.

You also might want to check into the liver cleansing threads (controversial!) on this board; alot of people have had fantastic results with this. Your liver has alot to do with your skin health, as well as your overall health. I've been doing the cleanses and have seen some good things happen....not finished yet but my health is getting better.

Because of everything that I have learned from this, I have been able to save my daughters the despair that I've been through. Please don't give up the fight; there is a way through this....it just takes alot of persistence and research on your own. As you well know by now, the medical profession does not have all the answers!

Ebby wink.gif

I was just like you, but I finally woke up. I said what if I had epilepsy, I have got no control and it is permanent. But acne are temporary and it might last for years but at least it can be cured.

MF

Hey. I can't tell you how much I understand every single thing you are saying in your post. I have been through basiccaly everything you have. Missing out on fun times with friends, making excuses for everything. I am starting to develop an eating disorder as well with out even realizng it half the time, because its for my skin, not for the image of my body. I dont know what to tell you. I use proactiv religiously, mostly just once a day the whole system. Only once so I don't get red and irritated. (at night I use it) In the morning, I start my day of with a nice shower to relieve stress. In the shower I use St.Ives scrub for oily skin prone to acne. It really smooths my skin and works great. I drink water a lot. That's about it. There is only so much you can do. It's hard not to think about, but the less you do, and just follow your daily treatment, you'll be ok. It's hard to be patient I know. I have good and bad days. and Its hard where I am, bc i feel like everyone around me has perfect skin except for me. Well, I just wanted to let you know, I know where your coming from. Try what I do. My acne isn't that bad. I have little little white heads up close by my chin, but everywhere else I just have a few pimples. Is yours very severe or what?

hey dude like all of dem said i clearly understand wat ure goin thru....imm 22 now i have been havin acne fer almost 10 yrs an none of the treatment worked....my skin is permanently damaged...fer life..and...its like some days im free of acne an some days it jus breaks out with big red ones!! all over my already scarred face...havin a rough tyme here...o an as fer da girls dey avoid me like da plague..lol but i try 2 forget it an get on with life...all u can try an hope fer da best!:)