Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I'm nearing the end of day 1 of my water fast, and I've realized something that most of you have probably already realized. Western foods have too much sugar!! I haven't yet tried to abstain from it until now, so I don't know how much of an effect it has on acne, but regardless, it isn't healthy.

I'm on the fast to try to starve a possible Candida infection, but I've realized that it's also good to stop eating so much junk.

Has anyone tried a sugar-less diet and has any luck? (Although, I seriously doubt anyone who has had any luck with anything would be online lurking these forums and trying to help people)

I'm not going completely sugar free, but I've been known to have a sweet tooth and eats lots of sugary junk food. I've cut out all of the obviously excessive sugary trash, and I've been doing it for about a week now. My acne actually seems a little worse---I don't know if an initial breakout is part of the normal process of such a diet change, but I'll keep trying this a while longer before I draw any conclusions.

Agave Nectar is HFCS. I tried it and it was a bad idea. Stick with Stevia only, and if you want any syrup, do PURE maple syrup. It's expensive but worth it.

Sugar was a huge culprit in my acne. Now I eat no sugar at all besides the sugar in my blueberries and whenever I use my pure maple syrup.

Ah,sorry for the agave nectar suggestion then =P

So many tea fanatics were glorifying it as an amazing sugar substitute at the tea shop the other day =P

Use date sugar. High in nutrients and minerals. It is high GI but closer to a more natural sugars.

Edited by Dotty1

I get about 50 grams of carbs a day from my daily bucket of vegetables and that's it. A paleo style ketogenic diet is the only thing that keeps me clear and the slightest deviation from it will give me a few spots.

It's difficult for a few weeks but now I have absolutely no problem sticking to my diet and my health has improved in all aspects. And it's not like I'm starving and restricting my food intake; I eat between 4000-5000 calories a day.

Once you quit sugar for long enough, looking at sugary food just makes you feel ill. Your taste buds get used to what you eat daily and you'll learn to prefer those foods over other choices if you give it enough time.

Edit: I really don't think finding sugar substitutes is such a good idea. If you need to sweeten your food, you're probably eating bland food that you shouldn't be eating in the first place. Sweeteners mostly encourage bad dietary habits even if they are calorie free.

Edited by CharlesV

Agave Nectar is HFCS. I tried it and it was a bad idea. Stick with Stevia only, and if you want any syrup, do PURE maple syrup. It's expensive but worth it.

Sugar was a huge culprit in my acne. Now I eat no sugar at all besides the sugar in my blueberries and whenever I use my pure maple syrup.

Pure maple syrup is a sucrose/water solution... yummy, and I agree, totally worth it... but not significantly better for you healthwise.

Xylitol is the best sugar substitute I've found. It's a prebiotic, increases bone density, does amazing things for your mouth and teeth, has a tiny insulin response / glycemic index, and has no serious side effects. It's present in nature in many fruits, is produced and metabolized endogenously by our own bodies, and makes your intestinal flora happy. Tastes like and is as sweet as sugar with no discernible aftertaste, though it does have a slight cooling sensation on the tongue (the heat of solution is positive). 40% fewer calories than the same amount of sugar.

It's been consumed in purified form since WWII, and is consumed in large amounts in Scandinavian countries in particular.

Edited by greentiger87

I get about 50 grams of carbs a day from my daily bucket of vegetables and that's it. A paleo style ketogenic diet is the only thing that keeps me clear and the slightest deviation from it will give me a few spots.

It's difficult for a few weeks but now I have absolutely no problem sticking to my diet and my health has improved in all aspects. And it's not like I'm starving and restricting my food intake; I eat between 4000-5000 calories a day.

Once you quit sugar for long enough, looking at sugary food just makes you feel ill. Your taste buds get used to what you eat daily and you'll learn to prefer those foods over other choices if you give it enough time.

Edit: I really don't think finding sugar substitutes is such a good idea. If you need to sweeten your food, you're probably eating bland food that you shouldn't be eating in the first place. Sweeteners mostly encourage bad dietary habits even if they are calorie free.

CharlesV,

I've been intrigued by the paleo diet for a while, but it seems like the lack of calories is my biggest problem. How do you manage to get 4000-5000? Would you mind listing out a sample day of eating for you?

Make your own food.

I have also heard Agave nectar is a good substitute for sugar in a diet.

Agave Nectar is just as high glycemic as high fructose corn syrup... just another form of sugar, not a good sugar substitute.

To the OP: what about stevia as a sugar substitute?

Use date sugar. High in nutrients and minerals. It is high GI but closer to a more natural sugars.

Mmmmm.. Just finished eating a cashew cookie Larabar. : )

Avoiding sugar based foods isn’t easy as the tongue is very much addicted to the sweet taste. Usage of natural sweeteners will help reducing the risk of aspartame. Natural sweeteners are low in glycemic index compared to processed sugar and artificial sweeteners. Honey, date sugar, agaves nectar, coconut sugar, barley malt, fructose, maple syrup, maple sugar, maltose, molasses, barley syrup and sorghum syrup are few natural sweeteners. Follow a healthy lifestyle and live happily. Avoid sugar free or low cal foods available as they contain aspartame. Aspartame is a common component in artificial sweeteners. Let us avoid using the artificial sweeteners and add some healthy natural sweetening agents to avoid life threatening cancer.

i did atkins about 5 years ago and for the year i was on it i dont think i broke out once. my skin was super clear and it had a glow to it. it was the nicest my skin has ever been in my life. i loved it!! after a year though i started eating more sugar little by little and then eventually went off the diet. stupid move on my part! atkins was the one time in my life that i was completely clear. hmm maybe i need to start doing it again or at least avoid sugar if possible. its just so hard because i have a major sweet tooth.

Edited by Karen Howz

Pure maple syrup is a sucrose/water solution... yummy, and I agree, totally worth it... but not significantly better for you healthwise.

Xylitol is the best sugar substitute I've found. It's a prebiotic, increases bone density, does amazing things for your mouth and teeth, has a tiny insulin response / glycemic index, and has no serious side effects. It's present in nature in many fruits, is produced and metabolized endogenously by our own bodies, and makes your intestinal flora happy. Tastes like and is as sweet as sugar with no discernible aftertaste, though it does have a slight cooling sensation on the tongue (the heat of solution is positive). 40% fewer calories than the same amount of sugar.

It's been consumed in purified form since WWII, and is consumed in large amounts in Scandinavian countries in particular.

if you dont mine me asking where can i find xylitol? is it sold in local grocery stores? also what do you think about stevia? i have had that before and really like it.

This guy's got it. When you first give up sugar it will be difficult to pass by deserts and the processed junk food you think you need. After a while you will walk by the desert table at parties without a second thought. They aren't good for your body but you just have to fight the initial temptations before you win the war.

If you're seriously eating 4000-5000 calories a day that could be part of the problem. Unless it's all very healthy and low fat foods, then you're asking alot of your digestive system to take care of all of that DAILY. I used to eat around that many calories daily, including probably 100-150 grams of protein daily and my acne was bad. I've lowered both by about half and my acne has significantly improved.

i did atkins about 5 years ago and for the year i was on it i dont think i broke out once. my skin was super clear and it had a glow to it. it was the nicest my skin has ever been in my life. i loved it!! after a year though i started eating more sugar little by little and then eventually went off the diet. stupid move on my part! atkins was the one time in my life that i was completely clear. hmm maybe i need to start doing it again or at least avoid sugar if possible. its just so hard because i have a major sweet tooth.

Atkins isn't necessary. Neither is avoiding all sugar. You just need to keep blood sugar stable by keeping all meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate GL.

Atkins isn't necessary. Neither is avoiding all sugar. You just need to keep blood sugar stable by keeping all meals/drinks/snacks low to moderate GL.

ok so dumb question for you, how would i do that? i try to eat fairly low sugar diet and if i eat any bread its whole wheat and for pasta i eat the whole grain kind.

how would i do that? i try to eat fairly low sugar diet and if i eat any bread its whole wheat and for pasta i eat the whole grain kind.

Just only have sugar or high glycemic foods in small amounts and in combination with a lot of low GI foods, with fiber and fat to lower the glycemic impact. Never drink sugar and that includes juices, unless with a very good low GL meal.

There are also many nutrients that help blood sugar, so be sure to get them. Lifestyle habits like sleep, exercise and muscle also affect it. More info here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574113

And I know this thread was about sugar, but since you probably avoided all bread/wheat products on the Atkins, you should consider that a gluten intolerance/wheat allergy contributes to your acne and try avoiding completely for a period to see if that makes a difference. And regardless, wheat/gluten isn't good for anyone no matter how whole it is. How bad varies from person to person and there are nutrients in other foods that can reduce their damage, but you have to consume them which you probably will if you switch to a diet of real, whole nutrient dense foods. More info:http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ZAG-enzym...gg-t247794.html

how would i do that? i try to eat fairly low sugar diet and if i eat any bread its whole wheat and for pasta i eat the whole grain kind.

Just only have sugar or high glycemic foods in small amounts and in combination with a lot of low GI foods, with fiber and fat to lower the glycemic impact. Never drink sugar and that includes juices, unless with a very good low GL meal.

There are also many nutrients that help blood sugar, so be sure to get them. Lifestyle habits like sleep, exercise and muscle also affect it. More info here: http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...t&p=2574113

And I know this thread was about sugar, but since you probably avoided all bread/wheat products on the Atkins, you should consider that a gluten intolerance/wheat allergy contributes to your acne and try avoiding completely for a period to see if that makes a difference. And regardless, wheat/gluten isn't good for anyone no matter how whole it is. How bad varies from person to person and there are nutrients in other foods that can reduce their damage, but you have to consume them which you probably will if you switch to a diet of real, whole nutrient dense foods. More info:http://www.acne.org/messageboard/ZAG-enzym...gg-t247794.html

great thanks so much for the info! i really appreciate it!! the good thing is that i only drink water, green tea or black tea and i do exercise 4-5 days a week religiously and get about 8 hours of sleep at night and even more on the weekends, ha! i have cut back a lot on the wheat that i eat. i pretty much only eat a slice of bread a day now with my evening doxy pill. i am going to check out all the links you provided. thanks again!!

Edited by Karen Howz

I'm vegan for over a year now, since then the mild acne i had on face is gone, but still bacne :(.

about a couple months ago i water fasted for 10 days, no breakouts during that time at all.

still i have mild bacne, now i'm avoiding oils (except extra virgin olive oil and extra virgin coconut), table sugar (brown sugar also honey) and alcohol.

a good substitute for sugar is Date Nectar/ date Honey/ date Syrup (silan) the more expansive type, with only dates, the other ones contain sugar :whistle:

it's only a week since i started this, but we'll see how it goes.

btw, i dont avoid any fruits or carbs.

Edited by goribigon