Notifications
Clear all

B-Complex Vitamins will break you out....

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/13/2011 2:30 pm

I've always had bad luck supplementing with even the smallest amounts of B-Vitamins. Even the minute amounts that are found in cheap multi-vitamins are enough to set off my skin. So, I was incredibly confused when people on here would tell me that the B-Vitamins were fine and that I needed them. Not only were these people readily discounting the apparent effects of the B-Vitamins, they were also going as far as to recommend them to fight acne. You can see where I start to wonder if it was just some other sort of source that was actually causing the breakouts.

Determined to find out once and for all whether or not these vitamins were actually the root, I decided to try a little experiment that would last approximately 12 months. I knew that trying the vitamin for a few days and basing a decision off of the results wasn't the way to go. No, this had to be a long-term sort of thing.

It looks something like this:

Month 1: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 2: Brand #1 B-50 Complex = Acne.

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Way-Vitamin-B-50-Complex

Month 3: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 4: Brand #2 B-50 Complex = Acne.

http://www.vitacost.com/Twinlab-B-50-Caps

Month 5: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 6: Brand #3 B-50 Complex = Acne.

http://www.vitacost.com/Schiff-Vitamin-B-Complex

Month 7: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 8: Brand #4 B-50 Complex = Acne.

http://www.vitacost.com/Carlson-B-50-Gel-Vitamin-B-Complex

Month 9: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 10: Brand #5 B-50 Complex = Acne.

http://www.vitacost.com/Source-Naturals-Vitamin-B-50-Complex

Month 11: No B-Vitamins = Clear skin.

Month 12: Brand #6 B-50 Complex = Acne.

http://www.vitacost.com/Natures-Plus-Super-B-50

There is NO way that this could be just a coincidence. If I could hit odds like that, I would have been playing the lottery by now.

MemberMember
(@candycane28)

Posted : 01/13/2011 3:16 pm

B12 and B6 taken in large amounts can make you break out yes. So don't take more than the RDI besides B-Complex is so common that it pretty unnecessary to supplement. Just eat healthier.

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/13/2011 3:57 pm

Which is exactly what confuses me when people on here immediately discount the possibility that B-Complex could adversely affect your skin. As a matter of fact, I see quite a lot of people not only discounting it's adverse affects, but actually recommending it as a supplement to fight acne. I find all of it quite ironic, but not as bad as the person that was on here a while ago telling us about how she supplemented with extremely large doses of iodine.

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 01/13/2011 4:43 pm

Anyone know of peer-reviewed research showing this? The only ones I could find on a cursory search were individual case reports of megadoses of B6 and B12. Not saying I don't believe it, but just wondering if there's better evidence.

At least you know YOU break out when you take B-complex. I don't think you can generalize it to other people quite yet. As a vegetarian, I've taken large doses of B12 on and off depending on the specifics of my diet, and never noticed a difference. I wasn't nearly as systematic as you though, it didn't even occur to me.

B-vitamins are known to broadly stimulate growth, and lots of associated effects come with that (like increased epithelial cell division, increased appetite... blah blah).

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:02 pm

Wow that's crazy that you tried this for a year. In my experience, B-Complex's broke me out like CRAZY. I stopped after a week. Now I just take the B-Vitamins that actually do help me. Niacin, Biotin, and B5.

I definitely agree with you. I have read big doses of Folic Acid, B6, and B12 can cause acne.

MemberMember
(@wibble)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:20 pm

Wow that's crazy that you tried this for a year. In my experience, B-Complex's broke me out like CRAZY. I stopped after a week. Now I just take the B-Vitamins that actually do help me. Niacin, Biotin, and B5.

I definitely agree with you. I have read big doses of Folic Acid, B6, and B12 can cause acne.

Biotin can actually be a negative for cystic acne as well, so be wary of just taking any. I think some people wanted to make sure they weren't deficient in some vitamins when taking others (like B5). However, I'd personally keep out the B6/12/Biotin out of the loop, and add back in yourself. See what your results are. Interesting test, but not surprising, supporting of what quite a few say.

MemberMember
(@sen1)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:35 pm

Ive been taking Bcomplex 100 for about a week, havent seen any more pimples than the usual. I'll have to keep an eye on it though

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:36 pm

B12 and B6 taken in large amounts can make you break out yes. So don't take more than the RDI besides B-Complex is so common that it pretty unnecessary to supplement. Just eat healthier.

What's considered too much for B6?

I take 20mg just fine,but it's in a supplement with B5 and some herbs.

MemberMember
(@vapor1)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:46 pm

I started taking a multivitamin with like 500% B-12. I then noticed new pimples. After that, I looked all over the internet to see if they were breaking me out too, but I couldn't find anything, so I dismissed it as a coincidence. I wonder if there are any multis without B-12. You probably get an adequate amount from diet, anyway.

MemberMember
(@greentiger87)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:50 pm

I started taking a multivitamin with like 500% B-12. I then noticed new pimples. After that, I looked all over the internet to see if they were breaking me out too, but I couldn't find anything, so I dismissed it as a coincidence. I wonder if there are any multis without B-12. You probably get an adequate amount from diet, anyway.

Large doses (relative to the tinnnnny RDA) of Vitamin B-12 are considered so harmless that 8000% percent of the RDA is routine for average supplements. Percentages many times that are widely available. I wouldn't worry about 500.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/13/2011 6:52 pm

Biotin can cause cystic acne? Damn, how so?

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/13/2011 9:48 pm

Google "Biotin acne" and see how many posts you can count about people claiming that biotin caused them cystic acne. As far as I know, nobody really knows "why", they just know it "does".

Anyways, I'm sticking with:

Vitamin A10,000 IU

Vitamin C2000mg

Vitamin D5000 IU

Vitamin E400 IU

Magnesium400mg

Zinc50 mg daily

EPA/DHA1400 mg EPA and 1000 mg DHA daily

Multi-vitamins, and anything associated with biotin, b12, blah blah blah... can take a hike. As soon as someone finds a reputable vitamin that only offers 100% of these vitamins, then I'll take it into consideration. 8,000% of the RDI one of these vitamins... no.

MemberMember
(@dan-b)

Posted : 01/13/2011 9:54 pm

You might have had an initial breakout with the B vitamins...you were only on them for a month at a time. I'm a big believer in vitamin B5

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/13/2011 9:59 pm

You might have had an initial breakout with the B vitamins...you were only on them for a month at a time. I'm a big believer in vitamin B5

Are initial breakouts running on some sort of clockwork-based timetable? Getting consistent acne for months on end because the product you're using might give you some sort of mild benefit somewhere down the road does not sound like a very good deal. Sounds like a veritable "carrot and the stick" to me.

MemberMember
(@dan-b)

Posted : 01/13/2011 10:09 pm

So you were completely clear?

B5 often gives a initial breakout (a temporary increase of acne), if correct because deeper acne or sebum is pushed/removed out of the skin or something like that. Some people see a breakout and quit without knowing how effective B5 might have been in their bodies.

you can google initial breakout with B5 and you will see. I'm just saying maybe you should try 3 months to see the real results

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/13/2011 10:11 pm

Yeah I googled Biotin Acne and yeah, no more Biotin for me haha.

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 01/13/2011 10:13 pm

Yeah I googled Biotin Acne and yeah, no more Biotin for me haha.

why quit it? your signature says you're clear.I'd assume that means you are not being affected by it.

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/13/2011 10:18 pm

So you were completely clear?

B5 often gives a initial breakout (a temporary increase of acne), if correct because deeper acne or sebum is pushed/removed out of the skin or something like that. Some people see a breakout and quit without knowing how effective B5 might have been in their bodies.

you can google initial breakout with B5 and you will see. I'm just saying maybe you should try 3 months to see the real results

50mg isn't going to help anyone. The recommended dosage for B5 to even start to help acne is like... what, 5000mg? I might as well start eating McDonalds because it might have a trace of Zinc in their patty.

And aside from the acne that was left over from supplementing with with B-50 Complex, I was completely clear. As soon as the product is introduced., the acne returns.

MemberMember
(@thehoper)

Posted : 01/13/2011 10:18 pm

I am. But there is really no use for me taking it any how. I have only two pills left, so won't be buying any more. I read foods with biotin in it and I get plenty anyway. I'm actually trying to lean myself off as many supplements as possible. Want to be as pure diet as possible. Right now I have essential supplements that I will stick with, being B5, L-Glutamine, Digestive Enzymes, HCL, Probiotics, and Zinc. Everything else I take just seems to be added protection and balance. Vitamin C, D, E, Niacin, Milk Thistle, Calcium, Magnesium, Cinnamon.

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/14/2011 11:36 am

I suggest to completely do away with B-Vitamin supplements.

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 01/14/2011 11:50 am

I'd never give up my Acnescript. It has loads of B5 and a smidget of B6.

I have read threads before about B-complexes worsening acne in the long run.These were complexes though,not just B5 megadosing and whatnot.

I personally did not see an IB when I started Acnescript, but IB's are just something most acne sufferers have to go through when using different products.

I admittedly can only vouch for my experience and things I have read on this site,as I am not a Biology major....so if someone could more clearly explain why certain B-vitamins can worsen acne in the long run I'd appreciate it. There is simply too many threads to fish information out of,or maybe I'm missing all the good threads...

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/14/2011 12:57 pm

Acnescript is the biggest placebo there is. An expensive placebo, at that. Sometimes I wish I was the person behind scams like that... but I just don't have the heart to do things like that to people that are only acting out of pure desperation. Oh how I frequently envy the heartless that lack compassion. Anyways, I digress.

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 01/14/2011 1:12 pm

Acnescript is the biggest placebo there is. An expensive placebo, at that. Sometimes I wish I was the person behind scams like that... but I just don't have the heart to do things like that to people that are only acting out of pure desperation. Oh how I frequently envy the heartless that lack compassion.

It's not a scam...

B5 and zinc are extremely popular on these boards.Turmeric is also a well known herb to aid in inflammation.

The burdock root and garlic might not have a lot to back them up,and I can admit that.

The beta glucans are just there for antioxidant support.

Don't be so harsh in your judgments. I would understand if you were skeptical about a pill that had a bunch of random chinese herbs in it,but Acnescript does have proven ingredients in it. Lots of people take supplements to aid in their acne.

I'm advertising Acnescript, but you can even take the proven ingredients separately and leave the burdock root and garlic out. When it comes to cost efficiency I prefer to keep taking acnescript.It's only 17 bucks per bottle.

I have seen tons of improvement with this supplement.My before and after picture is even up on their webpage. Go head into some B5 logs or read people's regimens in their signatures.Zinc and B5 are very prevalent.

MemberMember
(@jaerid)

Posted : 01/14/2011 1:16 pm

How much Zinc and how much B5 is in each pill? How many pills do you take a day?

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 01/14/2011 1:21 pm

530 mg B5

20 mg zinc

20mg B6

The proprietary blend of turmeric,burdock,garlic,beta glucans,and piperine do not have listed amounts.

The amounts are for both pills(2) that you take once daily.There's a months worth in each bottle. I have no idea where you pulled"expensive" from.