Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Posted

I am wondering if I should see a Dermatologist regarding my red marks / hyper-pigmentation. I have suffered from mild acne for a few years now and although I never really have more than 3 pimples on my face at a time, the marks stay on my face and make my acne seem a lot worse than it actually it is. Most of these marks I get normally fade within a few months, but I constantly get new pimples and those marks stay for months at a time.

So I am wondering what a dermatologist would do for my hyper-pigmentation and if its worth seeing one...

Posted

when i went to the dermatologist all he said to me was verbatim:

"be patient with the scars."

alot of help right?

after researching myself ive found that natural products seem to be the most popular, ie ACV, AHA, vitamin E.

Though none of them really helped me, the best thing that helped was tanning. I am naturally very pale and i would sit out in the sun for an hour or two, and use a qtip to put something over the scars (i used proactiv facemask), so the scars wouldnt tan but the rest of my back would in order to even the color. it worked very well!

Posted

My dermatologist helped me immensely with acne and red marks. She did IPL laser and light sessions on me. Totally great. I wouldn't recommend tanning as a habit- skin cancer is very real. Sorry Gulliver- just my opinion. And what I've seen IRL.

Guest frogskinshoelace
Posted (edited)

You are lucky your marks fade within a few months. My marks don't fade, ever (at least over a 5 and a half year period) You just need to stop the active acne. Go to a derm and get on anti biotics or accutane, and ask for something like epiduo and or retin-a. Retin-A will help red marks and active acne. It is a little intense and can dry up my skin, but otherwise is a great product.

I wouldn't recommend laser treatment for what you are describing. It is quite expensive and should be used in extreme cases only. There are plenty of other things a derm. can do to help you. You just need to make sure you find a good one.

Gulliver, get a new dermatologist, the guy is clearly incompetent. Fire his ass.

Edited by frogskinshoelace

Posted

Should i attach some pictures? :dance:

Posted
I am wondering if I should see a Dermatologist regarding my red marks / hyper-pigmentation. I have suffered from mild acne for a few years now and although I never really have more than 3 pimples on my face at a time, the marks stay on my face and make my acne seem a lot worse than it actually it is. Most of these marks I get normally fade within a few months, but I constantly get new pimples and those marks stay for months at a time.

So I am wondering what a dermatologist would do for my hyper-pigmentation and if its worth seeing one...

I seem to be in the same boat as you. Fortunately, my acne is almost 90% clear, but I do get flare-ups here and there. Once the pimple heals, it leaves horrible red marks behind. These do fade, but they take weeks or months.

I asked my dermatologist what I could do about it. She suggested first taking care-up of the flare-ups and then trying a laser treatment.

She suggested I just wait it out until then. :( I was looking into vitamins or supplements that promote skin healing. I know zinc is one of them. Perhaps maybe some vitamins will heal the skin from the inside out. It is at least worth checking out.

Posted

You could also try a retinoid. After the initial waiting period they will fade marks. Read up on it and see if you think it might be a good option for you.