Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I just received my Paula's Choice BHA gel this morning. I also just ran out of my Retin-A cream last night. I was thinking of replacing my Retin-A with the BHA gel in my regimen anyway because the Retin-A makes my skin very sensitive, but I am about 95% clear right now with just a couple of active pimples that have been around for about a week now. I was wondering if I would experience an Initial Breakout with the BHA gel?

Edited by CAPS8

Retin-A is pretty potent,have you tried asking your derm for something less irritating? Differin,for example,is a very gentle retinoid. I do believe they have a generic version available,too.

I think your chances for an IB with the BHA are lower since you just got off Retin-A,but that's just what my logic tells me.

Retin-A is pretty potent,have you tried asking your derm for something less irritating? Differin,for example,is a very gentle retinoid. I do believe they have a generic version available,too.

I think your chances for an IB with the BHA are lower since you just got off Retin-A,but that's just what my logic tells me.

^^ Thumbs up for logic :D

If Retin-A has got you clear, I have to agree - either try using a smaller amount, a more dilute amount (you could dilute it in your hand with some moisturizer), or a less irritating retinoid like Differin. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my BHA, but 95% clear is nothing to be sad about. BHA and retinoids do not do the same thing, though the descriptions can be superficially similar.

Initial breakouts are not very common with BHAs in any case, because of its intrinsic anti-inflammatory properties.

I go back to my derm on Tuesday so I was going to get my Retin-A prescription "refilled" and alternate that with the BHA gel every other day. I will use BP in the morning after washing and then one nigh Retin-A after washing and the next BHA after washing. Do I need to be using the BHA on a daily basis to see its full effects though? BHA is less irritating to my skin than the Retin-A is so I am also considering just sticking with the BHA and seeing what it does for me.

I go back to my derm on Tuesday so I was going to get my Retin-A prescription "refilled" and alternate that with the BHA gel every other day. I will use BP in the morning after washing and then one nigh Retin-A after washing and the next BHA after washing. Do I need to be using the BHA on a daily basis to see its full effects though? BHA is less irritating to my skin than the Retin-A is so I am also considering just sticking with the BHA and seeing what it does for me.

Every other day is fine for a BHA. The effects are so immediate, you'll probably end up using it everyday though :P I still think the retinoid is the better choice in the long run.

Every other day is fine for a BHA. The effects are so immediate, you'll probably end up using it everyday though :P I still think the retinoid is the better choice in the long run.

I am going to go ahead and get my Retin-A prescription renewed and maybe use is sparingly as it works well in clearing my skin but using it everyday has proven to irritate my skin.

Guest Timehealsall

good luck. What made you pick the gel over the liquid or lotion?