Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hina79

Anyone use powder mineral makeup while using retinoids?

I love how retinoids make my skin smooth with no bumps, decrease pore size etc. but it also becomes a little flakey, and using powder mineral makeup always makes those flakes stand out. I don't like using liquid foundation. Is there a way to make mineral makeup work without the flakies. BTW I always mositurize, but the flakes still show.

I would think primer would help...but I am in the same boat as you. I just found a moistureizer and makeup that don't make me break out, the thought of using yet another product on my face scares me to death. Any thoughts on a good primer to help with flakes would be appreciated.

I use both. You want a primer that isn't going to be too dry of a finish. A moisturizing primer would be good. Stila & Tarte both have nice liquidy primers that make your skin feel hydrated. Tarte's Clean Slate and Stila OneStep makeup primer. Smashbox also has good primers that are different for each individual skin type. Exfoliate gently. :)

The trick with keeping powders from looking flaky is to use moisturizer seconds before and then build up the coverage slowly.

BUT!

I have used several mineral powders: Bare Escentuals, Colorescience (which is their dermatological brand), Smashbox Halo(the best out of them), and Laura Mercier. Although at first they look nice, and it gives you the impression that it's helping your skin. They're not. A week+ in and you will notice your pores aggravating, and your skin texture getting rougher and rougher. I tried these products while using Retina-A, and in each case they made my skin worse. I even retried them months later, and had the same reaction! I also think a little moisturizer and sunscreen can be the best choice to prime your skin with. I have yet to find a primer brand that won't break me out. Sometimes keeping it simple is better.

P.S. Never ever fall asleep wearing primer & foundation. ;(

Edited by Lvl2

i use bare minerals and im on ziana. my skin flaky as well. sooo i moisturize right before i put my make up on and that seems to help. otherwise, a primer would help. i use it sometimes. i'd reccommend either Benefit That Gal primer or Hourglass Veil Mineral Primer.

I use the .1% Retin A and my skin can get pretty flaky for a day or two. I reduce the retinoids down to a couple times a week depending on skin irritation. I use Pur minerals make up. It's the best I've found mineral wise. For me personally it doesn't clog my pores and it sorta "melts" into my skin as the day goes on. Make sure to moisturize really well and use a kabuki brush and work the makeup into your skin before the moisturizer dries. Hope this helps!

I have used Retin-A before along with loose powder. My aesthetician told me to use a small pea size amount of Retin-A every day instead of just 2 or 3 times a week to make my skin get used to it. What I do to combat the flakiness (since I, too, refuse to wear thick foundation) is mix tinted moisturizer with AHA 10% face lotion and then lightly tap the powder on my face with a powder brush. Also, at night, I use the same face lotion at night. It exfoliates skin, purges your pores, and evens out your skin; when your skin is nice and even, you actually need less makeup! So it works.