herbal hormone supp...

Notifications
Clear all

herbal hormone supplement to control women's acne

MemberMember
(@abalone)

Posted : 01/08/2011 10:47 am

Hi there,

I've frequented these boards a lot over the past few years and have slowly (I'm 37 now) found a cure that works for me. My acne is definitely related to hormones and food, so I'll post what works in case this can help others:

1) I followed the low-glycemic diet that many people have been talking about. I didn't get rid of grains all together, but ate in moderation whole, unprocessed rice and quinoa (no breads, pasta, anything processed, potatoes, or gluten). I eat no refined sugar and get my sweetness fromt fruit. I loosely followed Dr. Perricone's recommendation to eat fresh wild salmon regularly, (3x per week in my case) which works for me because I live in the Pacific northwest. This diet alone cured over 75% of my acne. (Previously I had been a vegetarian for 16 years which did not work for me! I lived on granola and pasta.) I also, at times, avoided dairy and took cod liver oil on the advice of my naturopath, mostly in the winter.

2) Even with the above diet, I still had cyclical breakouts (mid cycle and during menstruation). Last year I was told about Lorna Vanderhague's "Estro Sense," which is a (Canadian?) herbal supplement supposed to regulate menstrual cycles and symptoms. I resisted trying this forever, because I thought it would lead to break-outs. When I finally broke down and tried it, I realized it was the missing piece. I started on two pills per day and am down to one. I noticed an improvement in the first month, and have now been on these pills six months, with no pimples ever (except for twice, when I went off the pills to see what would happen. The acne came back.) Being on these pills has allowed me to introduce back potatoes and some refined foods like rice pasta and rice bread. I still don't eat sugar and keep my diet very healthy. It's worth it after a lifetime of acne that started at 18.

I hope this can help someone. The supplements are cheap and work for me. You can't take them when pregnant or nursing though. (Incidentally, I had clear skin during my first pregnancy, terrible skin during my second. Both kids were girls. Go figure.)

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 01/10/2011 9:52 pm

im was so intrigued by this info i went to whole foods today and they do have the Estro Sense. I read about it but was not ready to purchase it as its $30.00...Well I just washed my face and feel like $30 would be a small price to pay if it actually worked. Im so tired of looking in the mirror and examining and picking for an hour each night. Each day I hope I will not wake up with more bumps and red spots but each day comes and so do the spots...Im 43 and absolutely exhausted after 30 yrs of dealing with me skin. I would be a much happier person and be a better wife and mother if i had no skin issues..I just spoke with my dr this evening and she confirmed i have low estrogen and my thyroid is overactive. Im wondering if anything will help anymore..Ive been on spironolatone for 10 months and do not feel it is working for me. What was it like for you and did you see improvement immediately? thanks

MemberMember
(@lovegreensmoothies)

Posted : 01/11/2011 4:31 pm

If you have low estrogen why don't they give you estrogen? Why don't you fix your thyroid?

If your estrogen is low eating a lot of carbs may help you.

MemberMember
(@wicky)

Posted : 01/11/2011 9:22 pm

I only found out about the thyroid recently and am awaiting an appointment with an endocrinologist...as far as "getting estrogen" there are many negatives associated with hormone replacement therapies and i was looking into natural supplements as a way to help

MemberMember
(@wishfulthinkin)

Posted : 02/24/2011 6:47 pm

Hi there,

I've frequented these boards a lot over the past few years and have slowly (I'm 37 now) found a cure that works for me. My acne is definitely related to hormones and food, so I'll post what works in case this can help others:

1) I followed the low-glycemic diet that many people have been talking about. I didn't get rid of grains all together, but ate in moderation whole, unprocessed rice and quinoa (no breads, pasta, anything processed, potatoes, or gluten). I eat no refined sugar and get my sweetness fromt fruit. I loosely followed Dr. Perricone's recommendation to eat fresh wild salmon regularly, (3x per week in my case) which works for me because I live in the Pacific northwest. This diet alone cured over 75% of my acne. (Previously I had been a vegetarian for 16 years which did not work for me! I lived on granola and pasta.) I also, at times, avoided dairy and took cod liver oil on the advice of my naturopath, mostly in the winter.

2) Even with the above diet, I still had cyclical breakouts (mid cycle and during menstruation). Last year I was told about Lorna Vanderhague's "Estro Sense," which is a (Canadian?) herbal supplement supposed to regulate menstrual cycles and symptoms. I resisted trying this forever, because I thought it would lead to break-outs. When I finally broke down and tried it, I realized it was the missing piece. I started on two pills per day and am down to one. I noticed an improvement in the first month, and have now been on these pills six months, with no pimples ever (except for twice, when I went off the pills to see what would happen. The acne came back.) Being on these pills has allowed me to introduce back potatoes and some refined foods like rice pasta and rice bread. I still don't eat sugar and keep my diet very healthy. It's worth it after a lifetime of acne that started at 18.

I hope this can help someone. The supplements are cheap and work for me. You can't take them when pregnant or nursing though. (Incidentally, I had clear skin during my first pregnancy, terrible skin during my second. Both kids were girls. Go figure.)

Did you have an initial breakout with Estrosense? I am very interested as I am 33 and have had acne since age 15....though it became much more severe in my early twenties.

MemberMember
(@plumheart)

Posted : 10/14/2012 7:27 pm

QUOTE (abalone @ Jan 8 2011, 08:47 AM)

Did you have an initial breakout with Estrosense? I am very interested as I am 33 and have had acne since age 15....though it became much more severe in my early twenties.

have been taking Estrosense for 3 months now, did not notice any breakouts worse than what i'd already been experiencing. they've lessened gradually, but noticeably, and are maybe a third of what they once were, a tremendous relief.

MemberMember
(@chelslaw)

Posted : 10/14/2012 10:38 pm

What is in it?

MemberMember
(@tootsler)

Posted : 10/14/2012 11:10 pm

I'm 42 and also thoroughly few up with mid cycle breakouts and PMS breakouts. I'm interested in Estro Sense. Thank you for posting this -- I will go research.