Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
-Mel-101

Walk-in Clinic....

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knows if you can get any acne medication perscribed to you by just seeing a doctor at a walk-in clinic?? ..

Sadly enough, I just moved to a new city and don't even have a doctor yet, therefore I can't get a referal to see a dermatologists..

So I was hoping a walk-in clinic doctor could do the trick...

If so, what kinds of acne medication can they perscribe?? .. I've never seen a dermatologist about my face, even though I've had acne for atleast 4 years now.. Over the counter medications don't seem to help..

Thx,

Melissa.

Well Melissa, i'm not quite sure but I would doubt it. One thing you can do is surf around on the net and find the dermatologists that are in your city....and then it should usually say how many years they have been in practice.....I find that would be a good way to try to find a good, reliable, safe, dermatologist....see which one has been in practice the longest. Anyways, good luck, and just tell us about your acne history.

-Shawn-

I could look around for a dermatologist.. but don't they require a referal from your doctor??.... I don't have a doctor here, and my old doctor is about a 7 hr drive away.. and I never talked to him about my acne before, so there isn't much he can do...

Hey, no you don't need a referral. I don't have a doctor, just a dermatologist. I just walked in one day and baam, we started trying shit on me. So just find a decent derm. in your city and set up an appointment.

-Shawn-

Hey,

Actually, here in the Great White North, you DO need a referral from a doctor before you can go to a dermatologist. But, explain your situation to a doctor at the walk-in and i'm pretty sure that they can refer you to a dermatologist. Definetely.

Good luck!

May

mel,i am quite sure that a regular gp can prescribe you medication for your skin.I know mine does.For something temporary i dont see why u could get a script filled at the walk in clinic.Just explain your acne situation and im quite sure they can prescribe something for you in the mean time.i am sure your not the only one who has shown up needing meds for acne.Its quite common .

AH Yes! The famous dancing around in circles for the doctors. I recently had the same expericence of trying to get into a dermatologist office. However in the Oregon you only need a referral from a primary care physician for insurance purposes. Now this is where I ran into problems because I could not get a referral from the doctor in my old city so I had to set up an appointment with a new primary care physician (10-15 min appointment) to get refered to a derm. in my new city.

So my question is do you have insurance? If not you might be able to just set up and appt w/ a derm. Also anything cosmetic, insurance doesn't pay for so you usually can just call to get an appt. w/ the derm. of your choice. Isn't it a pain!

I just thought I would tell you guys that I went to a walk-in clinic today.. I waited around for like an hour in the lobby to see him, and was only actually in the doc's office for like 2 mins!! haha!! The doctor prescribed a .025% Vitamin A acid gel and a PanOxyl Bar (5% Benzoyl peroxide).. I'm not sure if these are any good, we'll see.. The doc said I wouldn't have to see a derm.. Meh, I only had to pay $0.70 for the whole perscription, so it's all good.. I'll let ya know if it works!!

Does anyone know anything about these 2 products?

Thx,

Melissa

:)