Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

to be blunt and straight to the point the genes i seem to have contracted have made my childhood depressing and overall horrible

i know im well off compared to alot of people but compared to many others that im surronded by daily im in a veryy bad situation.

Ive had acne since i was 13 and its slowly been getting worse BUT last summer when i was 16 they were pretty much gone on my body and face. however after that god or whoevers up there decided to smite me with moderate to severe on my face and chest and very severe on my back its like he gave me a taste of the good life then put me in a cage and kept the good life dangling infront of me

little anecdote aside i dont think i want to pass these genes on to anyone my goal in life is to cure myself of these crappy genes and make sure i dont pass any of these vices on life onwards

my question to you is..

have you ever come to that conclusion and am i wrong to think i should end my bloodline?

I think you have in completely backwards. Acne doesn't dictate your life, YOU choose how it affects you. Acne doesn't make you do anything, you let yourself be held back, be unhappy, be caged. It is very difficult to break out of that pattern of thinking but it IS possible. A lot of people here can testify to that.

In my opinion, God definitely didn't 'smite' you. You may be unhappy with your circumstances but they are never in vain. It can be hard to understand because the ramifications may not be seen until months or years later.

And no, I have never thought about not having kids. Acne isn't going to stop me from doing something beautiful one day and that includes having a kid (or four). =)

my question to you is..

have you ever come to that conclusion and am i wrong to think i should end my bloodline?

I hope people that choose not to reproduce don't have children because they can't afford them or simply don't like them, not because of possibly passing on acne. I don't think you're wrong for feeling the way you do though. It's how you feel, y'know? Still, there are more important factors to consider when thinking about procreation that should take priority.

Guest fugleee_dumbBUNNY

bleh! fuk passing fukin genes! genes suuuk! if u ugly or have full face of severe acne or anything fugly or some genetical disease or u poor or u wont be able to love and take care of kids properly or whatever lame just dont put another kid on same misery u had to go through yoself duh uh! l:P

thnx guys im glad to hear im not the only one that thinks this way and youve given me something to think about. i made sure to become alot more active now hopefully ill break the cycle or rut or w/e im in thanks for all the advice

Natural selection and evolution will eventually kill off the acne gene, only the strongest bloodlines will survive on an unlimited timescale.

"Natural selection is the process by which traits become more or less common in a population due to consistent effects upon the survival or reproduction of their bearers. It is a key mechanism of evolution."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_selection

Weak bloodlines will end eventually so it's best not to think about it, have kids and let evolution do it's job.

"Evolution (also known as biological, genetic or organic evolution) is the change in the inherited traits of a population of organisms through successive generations.[1] Over time variants with particular heritable traits become more, or less, common. A trait is a particular characteristic—anatomical, biochemical or behavioural—that is the result of gene–environment interaction."

Don't worry yourself so much.

iv thought about this before. But you also have to consider that in the future there will most likely be a cure or at least much better treatments for acne, so your offspring won't suffer the same...u know?

Potentially genetic selection of human foetus`s will be in place by that time, i know it probably wont but.... :P

I've definitely thought about this before. I've always wanted kids even though I'm not taking it seriously right now since I'm too young, but when I think about giving another human the curse of acne I dont know if I could live with myself seeing a child of mine going through this hell.

My skin has made my otherwise normal life a living hell. They say acne is what you make it however you can't force women to be attracted to you if they are simply turned off by your acne.

Being forever alone doesn't help quality of life, seeing how it's in our nature to want to mate and share our lives with others. That being said, even if I did have an opportunity to "pass along my genes" I wouldn't simply because I'd never gamble out of my own selfishness and just hope that my offspring wouldn't have the same issues.

I'd never wish my acne on anyone, let alone the people I would love most (my children). Our genes are the gift we give our children, why risk them being not ideal? Surely with the population passing 7 billion soon we don't NEED more people.

If I find I desperately want kids what is wrong with adoption? I'd like to have my own children, but ending my bloodline is the better choice. I for one will be doing so.

fyi, evolutionary progress only works if the animal dies before reproducing eliminating their disadvantages mutations from the gene pool...

Also, why bet on acne being "cured"? I bet people 30 years ago who were debating on passing on their genes may have thought, "Well, we can just assume that in 2011 they will have a cure for everything so lets roll the dice babe."

Edited by ghostofme

All of my cousins have an acne so our parents was the carrier. SO if ever i get married my kids will be the carrier and my grandkids will suffer what i suffered i dont want that to happen again never. I dont want my grandkids blaming me for what they have.

sad but true adoption is the better choice in stopping the bad genes.

I'm tempted to agree with ghostofme to be honest. Not a single member of my family has had acne. Not my parents, sister, grandparents or cousins. They've all quite open stood discussing it and, with a total disregard for my feelings, each said, "No idea where he gets that from, but it's certainly not me!"

I can only assume that I would pass this on and I wouldn't wish my life from age 12 onwards on anyone, never mind my own child. I know I'd be looking at them and thinking, 'Make the most of your first 12 years because then it will all turn to shit'. That may well be the wrong way to think about it, but I can't help but wonder...

In any event, if I remain single and never end up in a relationship, it's not going to be an issue anyway.

It's almost like I need to learn how to be "normal". Like I need to take a class or something and be taught how to be like everyone else I come into contact with. It's like all these things have passed me by and I just don't know how to do any of it. My sister's had boyfriends, has a social circle, now has her own place with her partner and will probably be starting a family soon. She's 4 years younger than me, and like her friends and all other people I know, has completely left me behind in that regard.

I don't feel sorry for myself and although this all sounds negative, I'm not putting myself down. This is just how it is. So at this point, I can either deal with it or wallow in it. Given that I've acknowledged the problem, I might as well try and work out how I can fix it, go and get some help from somewhere, because unless I break this cycle and essentially reinvent myself, the "genes" thing won't even be an issue.

Edited by PaulH85