Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dolcezza

Flattened hypertrophic scar...now what?

Posted

About two years ago, I got a small hypertrophic scar on my chest. It took several steroid injections, and after two years (because I couldn't always schedule the injections together), the scar is finally flat.

The problem is that it's still very red, and the texture is sort of..bumpy and rough feeling. It's also a bit shiny, but it doesn't hurt or itch anymore. Being that I'm of fair skin, I feel like it's very noticeable and it prevents me from wearing certain shirts.

Does anyone have any advice on how to deal with redness or texture for hypertrophic FLATTENED scars? I'm scared to put something on it that will give me a bad reaction, but I'm sick of seeing it everyday and concealer doesn't help much.

Please help! Thank you. :)

Posted

How about a flesh coloured bandaid? Or have you tried vit E oil? Thats what I use on any scarring. Its thick like honey and takes ages to soak in but I think it works really well. Also make sure to put heaps of sunscreen on it to help it fade - suntan/burn will only prolong it.

I think its sad you feel you can't wear certain clothes because of this - I have a decent sized hypertrophic scar on the front of my ankle, about 3cm long (and its at the end of a scar that goes half way up my calf). I wear long pants to work but have no problem wearing shorts and sandals out and about. No one ever mentioned it to me (and atm its BRIGHT red with lovely staple marks) or spared it much more then a glance. But they can stare if they like, theres not too much I can do about it and its far too hot to care :)

Posted
How about a flesh coloured bandaid? Or have you tried vit E oil? Thats what I use on any scarring. Its thick like honey and takes ages to soak in but I think it works really well. Also make sure to put heaps of sunscreen on it to help it fade - suntan/burn will only prolong it.

I think its sad you feel you can't wear certain clothes because of this - I have a decent sized hypertrophic scar on the front of my ankle, about 3cm long (and its at the end of a scar that goes half way up my calf). I wear long pants to work but have no problem wearing shorts and sandals out and about. No one ever mentioned it to me (and atm its BRIGHT red with lovely staple marks) or spared it much more then a glance. But they can stare if they like, theres not too much I can do about it and its far too hot to care :)

You have a refreshing candour and ability to deal with the unavoidable. :) Kudos to you.

Posted

Laser?...

Guest Timehealsall
Posted

be glad its not on your face??

Posted

V-beam laser. Look it up. Is is great for redness. I have had it done on my hypertrophic scars that are flat.

Posted
V-beam laser. Look it up. Is is great for redness. I have had it done on my hypertrophic scars that are flat.

Hope it works for mine!