Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dieter

Milk substitutes

Well, i probably found a regimen that seems to be working for me, finally...

For years I've been with a sulfur resorcinol and a few months ago changed to acnomel since that product went off the market. That diminished the acne a little bit but left my skin really dry.

What has been working is a combination of manuka honey with omega3 and zinc supplements. I cannot say much about the zinc since i only started taking it 3 days ago but as for omega 3 (26days) really made a difference. I haven't had any major breakouts since taking the omega 3 in conjunction with the manuka honey and my skin is much more even and much much less red.

Lessen the sugar intake also and what i was thinking of was to get off dairy too but i'm having problems finding proper alternatives. Soy has high omega 6 which is not good to acne. I'm taking Puritan's Pride omega 3 3 softgels per day which totals a 3g omega 3 per day. I know the ratio of omega3 to omega 6 is something between 3:1 to 1:1 but would like to lessen the omega 6 intake and keep it below the 1g per day. Do i seem right to you?

Thanks in advance ;)

Well, i probably found a regimen that seems to be working for me, finally...

For years I've been with a sulfur resorcinol and a few months ago changed to acnomel since that product went off the market. That diminished the acne a little bit but left my skin really dry.

What has been working is a combination of manuka honey with omega3 and zinc supplements. I cannot say much about the zinc since i only started taking it 3 days ago but as for omega 3 (26days) really made a difference. I haven't had any major breakouts since taking the omega 3 in conjunction with the manuka honey and my skin is much more even and much much less red.

Lessen the sugar intake also and what i was thinking of was to get off dairy too but i'm having problems finding proper alternatives. Soy has high omega 6 which is not good to acne. I'm taking Puritan's Pride omega 3 3 softgels per day which totals a 3g omega 3 per day. I know the ratio of omega3 to omega 6 is something between 3:1 to 1:1 but would like to lessen the omega 6 intake and keep it below the 1g per day. Do i seem right to you?

Thanks in advance ;)

What do you want the substitute for? Taste? Because you miss milk? For calories? For calcium? For protein?

For taste, you're out of luck - nothing tastes much like milk, imho. Raw milk might be an option, after you're into the diet for a while.

If you just miss milk, you can try almond, rice, coconut, or hemp. Coconut is the most economical, and also quite healthy.

For calories, any of the above will work - but coconut milk is superior.

For calcium, get it from greens and other vegetables. Some milk substitutes are fortified.

For protein, try whey protein isolate (not concentrate). It still causes an insulin response, but shouldn't have the problematic components of whole milk. Egg protein is another option.

Gluck!

Edited by greentiger87

Hemp milk tastes like grass,rice milk is god awful, and almond milk tastes like...well...liquefied almonds.

I use almond milk because of it's vitamin e content,and it actually tastes good with cheerios and kashi cereal.

I wanna follow a no dairy diet as well but I'm afraid of calcium deficiency :( and especially probiotic yogurt is suggested by many docs as a daily intake

Hemp milk tastes like grass,rice milk is god awful, and almond milk tastes like...well...liquefied almonds.

I use almond milk because of it's vitamin e content,and it actually tastes good with cheerios and kashi cereal.

What?? Man. Some people just have some crazy taste buds.

Hemp milk is AMAZING! I love it. I've also had rice milk, which tasted exactly like whole normal milk so don't know how you say that, and almond milk is absolutely delicious as well.

To the OP, I would give hemp, coconut, or almond a chance. I just make my own milk now, dont even buy it. So easy. Whatever nut/seed, water, and a blender. I make my own hemp milk, coconut milk, almond milk, sunflower milk, etc. And sometimes I throw some blueberries in for blueberry milk! So good.

I wanna follow a no dairy diet as well but I'm afraid of calcium deficiency :( and especially probiotic yogurt is suggested by many docs as a daily intake

veggies contain calcium,did you not know that? That's how vegans get their calcium intake.

Also,milk substitutes often add in calcium. Almond Breeze does.

I tried rice dream,and that did not taste like normal milk at all. It had little bits of rice starch floating around in it too.Made me gag. It's not very nutritional anyways.

The hemp milk brand I tried had Pacific in the name,I think. It really was awful.

THOUGH,I did try some Odwalla chocolate milk the other day.It has a blend of soy and oat milk in it.That was the most delicious thing ever! It also has milk protein concentrate,which is the only thing keeping me from buying more. Does anyone know if this is bad to those who break out from milk?

I would only buy it on occasion regardless because of the soy,but it seems like a good way to get my chocolate fix.

veggies contain calcium,did you not know that? That's how vegans get their calcium intake.

Also,milk substitutes often add in calcium. Almond Breeze does.

I tried rice dream,and that did not taste like normal milk at all. It had little bits of rice starch floating around in it too.Made me gag. It's not very nutritional anyways.

The hemp milk brand I tried had Pacific in the name,I think. It really was awful.

THOUGH,I did try some Odwalla chocolate milk the other day.It has a blend of soy and oat milk in it.That was the most delicious thing ever! It also has milk protein concentrate,which is the only thing keeping me from buying more. Does anyone know if this is bad to those who break out from milk?

I would only buy it on occasion regardless because of the soy,but it seems like a good way to get my chocolate fix.

Odwalla makes me want to gag... and then I see the price.

It sounds too simple, but cows do not get calcium deficient and all they eat is grass. Humans are the only species that has calcium salesmen, and calcium salesmen are the only reason to eat extra calcium. Ever see an elephant (HUGE bones) take a calcium supplement? Think hummingbirds get osteoporosis from not drinking milk or taking calcium supplements?

The one thing many of us lack, due to clothing, lack of exposure, living in northern latitudes, using sunscreens, having more skin pigment than Jennifer Biel, and avoiding excess sun - is Vitamin D. The milk manufacturers advertize the Vitamin D in milk, but it is ADDED to the milk, which does not contain much naturally.

The no dairy diet is remarkably healthy.

Vitamin D supplements are remarkably cheap.

Look at www.godairyfree.org and www.acnemilk.com

The milk manufacturers advertize the Vitamin D in milk, but it is ADDED to the milk, which does not contain much naturally.

And there's no where near enough vitamin D added to milk. Don't depend on milk for your D.

Nice! So much help :) Thank you

I'm replacing cheese for fruit jam with no added sugars and mostly i miss milk with my morning coffee... and eventually with my cereal (shouldn't i eat cereal?! Why?) I know i shouldn't even drink coffee but it's a small daily intake only in the morning :)

Also I'm avoiding hydrogenated fats and increasing my fruit/vegetable daily intake along with my swimming/gym habits.

As "kittenpaw" said, i too was worried with calcium deficiency but "wikiderm" explained it nicely :) I'll try them all and then decide.

Thanks again!

I'm replacing cheese for fruit jam with no added sugars and mostly i miss milk with my morning coffee... and eventually with my cereal (shouldn't i eat cereal?! Why?)

Because you should eat mostly real, nutritionally dense food. Not Crap, processed, probably wheat based, high GI foodlike substances.

Edited by alternativista

Almonds are loaded with omega 6. Wouldn't that worsen acne?

ps. Well not only almonds but almost all kind of nuts are loaded with O6 (except macadamia?). I don't want to imbalance the O3-O6 ratio here.

Edited by Dieter

Almonds are loaded with omega 6. Wouldn't that worsen acne?

ps. Well not only almonds but almost all kind of nuts are loaded with O6 (except macadamia?). I don't want to imbalance the O3-O6 ratio here.

You aren't supposed to avoid all omega 6 sources. Omega 6 is essential. Reduce the amount you consume by limiting grains and cooking oils from grain. And have more omega 3 sources like fish.