Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aka*Tom

Personal advice/help with my acne.

Right, after reading over various topics, cases, stories etc about people's problems, I've decided to give you a detailed overview of what I'm doing to try and rid the acne, to see where or where not i'm going wrong.

First off, I'm a 19 y/o male, I've been suffering for about a year and a half now. The spots are mainly around my chin, mouth, jowels area, but i do get them on my cheeks, forehead, between the eyes (basically it can pop up anywhere). And here's what i do to fight it:

-I'm all about sport, so i exercise at least 2-3 hours, 4-5 times a week and am completely healthy.

-My diet is as good as I can possibly make it. I don't eat fast food, I dont drink fizzy drinks, i don't eat sweets, sugars, cakes. I eat plenty of fruit, veg, salad. I've been eating this improved diet for a good 6-7 months now. And I've been mkaing a real effort to drink at least 4-5 litres of water a day for the past 3 months or so. I also have a cup of lemon green tea every morning and night.

- I have been taking erythromyocin (sp?) tablets for about a year now, and have recently been given differin gel to use on my face.

-My hygeine is all good; shower regularly, cleanse my face every morning n night, moisturize in the morning, treat spots at night with differin.

All this, yet i still get them. And whats more annoying is that once the spot has gone down, it leaves a nice flat, red mark that takes an age to go down. So basically what I'd like to know from people in the know, is where am I going wrong? And how am I suppose to treat the red marks more than anything?

Okay,so here is what I've noticed with my own red marks. I am CASPER pale and even a tiny zit has the potential to leave a red mark. Three things help the red marks come out a lot lighter.

- I take a supplement called acnescript. It has zinc in it to contribute to the healing of my skin.

- I make sure to never dry my skin out

- and I use spot treatment. Tea tree oil is highly liked by the folks here. Burts Bees has a fairly inexpensive spot treatment with this ingredient.I also don't overdo the spot treatment.I apply it at tops twice during a single's zit's "life cycle".

Red marks are very difficult to get rid of without the help of some chemical peels. You can start,however, with Apple Cider vinegar as a toner. You just put half water and half ACV in a flip-cap bottle and use it like you would any other toner. I feel the toner helps,but the results do taper off after you use it for awhile.

If you want a recommendation for a very light at-home peel, I have been testing out some MyChelle products and their Pumpkin Enzyme Peel is of very good quality. It also smells like pumpkin pie.

Also,don't pop/pick your zits. I think that's just common sense nowadays.

I've heard about this jojoba oil stuff, mainly from reading on here. sounds like it's the holy grail right?

And zinc tablets aswell, i'll get on them asap.

can you tell me a bit more about 'toners' and 'peels'? I dont think i've ever used these before.

I've heard about this jojoba oil stuff, mainly from reading on here. sounds like it's the holy grail right?

And zinc tablets aswell, i'll get on them asap.

can you tell me a bit more about 'toners' and 'peels'? I dont think i've ever used these before.

Toners are supposed to tighten your skin,but their definition has changed a bit today. Basically when I use a "toner" It's just something that provides a little bit of chemical exfoliation.A lot of store bought toners contain alcohol which can dry out your skin,which is why I'm so fond of the apple cider vinegar.

Peels are chemical exfoliators that are a bit stronger than your everyday sort of exfoliation.

Chemical exfoliators include glycolic acid,lactic acid,salicylic acid,malic acid..there's quite a few different types.

You can buy jojoba oil in it's purest form or can use it in a moisturizer. Personally I can't stand using straight jojoba oil. Even when I used a super tiny speck of the stuff my face would look greasy.A lot of people add a drop to their regular moisturizer and have great success with it. Just pump out your moisturizer in your hand,add a drop of oil,and then mix it in your pal before applying.

Jojoba oil contains vitamin e,which is really healing and is also a "liquid wax" that has such a small molecular size that most skin types can tolerate it with no problem. There have been people who break out from it,though.

I see, thanks for the info/advice.

I've recently (last week or so) been using this moisturizer with vitamin E in it. I've also got some aloe vera cream with vitamin E on order which I read helps with red marks. I'll give it a couple of weeks and see how it goes...

Edited by _Aka_

So its been 2 months since i posted this and thought i'd give an update on my progress...none.

it's the red blotches that get to me the most. here's some of them i've got at the moment.

p><p>these were spots about 2-3 weeks ag

%7Boption%7Dhttp://img845.imageshack.us/img845/3926/photo0020y.jpg' alt='photo0020y.jpg'>

photo0021.jpg

again the majority of these here are just red marks post-acne. same as above, been using jojoba on these for about 2-3 weeks, not much change at all.

can anyone give me some help/advice? i have been taking zinc as advised above for about a month now aswell...

Edited by _Aka_