Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

A little off topic but just bear with me.

Consider this scenario. Theres a vacancy available as a company spokesman at a leading bank company and there are 2 main candidates for the job. They both have a degree in Business and Finance and have the same exact qualifications. They are both 27 year old males. They are then interviewed and have both answered any questions asked by the interviewer. Both their attitudes, oral performance and general professionalism was excellent.

One of the candidates has acne and the other doesn't. The company can only afford to take one of them on. So who do you think they will choose?

I think it will be the non acne candidate. This is because the company needs to think about their image and how others view their company.

Who agrees/disagrees?

Disagree. That's ridiculous. I work in Human Resources at a large international insurance company and if there's one thing I know, it's that we don't hire or fire based on looks... it is solely about the candidates ability to perform their function for the job - not about how they look. And just so you know, no two candidates are ever an exact match.... companies can distinguish differences between two candidates that are close in qualifications.

Disagree. That's ridiculous. I work in Human Resources at a large international insurance company and if there's one thing I know, it's that we don't hire or fire based on looks... it is solely about the candidates ability to perform their function for the job - not about how they look. And just so you know, no two candidates are ever an exact match.... companies can distinguish differences between two candidates that are close in qualifications.

No I think you need to get real. I work in Corporate America, I see people making six digit figures on a day to day basis. This isn't Hollywood, everyone is different - not everyone has perfect skin.

Your still not getting my point. What I'm saying is that if you have acne and your looking for a job, it becomes 10 times harder to get a job. Its as though you have to impress because yor skin isn't normal.

Listen to this scenario. Theres a guy whos had his job for 2 years and has never had acne before in his life. He then starts getting acne going into the middle of the 2nd year since he started his job. The company that hired him cannot sack him as this would be unfair dismissal. So basically, the guys guaranteed either 1) secure job with good, steady pay no matter how bad his skin looks or 2) compensation for unfair dismissal.

Can you see now from this situation that its better to have a job and then get acne rather than have acne while you look for a job?

"becomes 10 times harder to get a job"

i also disagree, its all inside your head (even if it might not seem like it at the moment)

they might hire the person without acne, as he seems to assert himeself better, and has more confidence, which is important when talking to candidates.

personly i just think you are trying to use acne as an excuse.

"becomes 10 times harder to get a job"

i also disagree, its all inside your head (even if it might not seem like it at the moment)

they might hire the person without acne, as he seems to assert himeself better, and has more confidence, which is important when talking to candidates.

personly i just think you are trying to use acne as an excuse.

wouldnt that be discrimination if they had a repuatation for only hiring beautiful people with flawless skin. i think after awhile people would take notice to that and i do not think HR would allow that to even be in the shadow of doubt in peoples thinking as to why they were not hired.

you were saying that the actual acne stops you from getting the job, not your personality because of the acne.

"Both their attitudes, oral performance and general professionalism was excellent."

i was simply saying that the physical acne is not the problem, its the mentality of candidate.

I agree it can make it more difficult. It is well documented that better looking people are chosen for the job if qualifications are the same. Also, people subconsciously are affected by your acne whether they want to be or not. They discriminate against obese people and older people, it follows they would discriminate against acne. People who have to deal with the public are evaluated differently. It is wrong and sad but it is reality. This is not to say you will not get a job, of course you will, but it may be a factor and it may just take a bit longer.