Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlexAlmighty

An Experiment (Long)

You should try using an electric shaver, no water. That way you get minimal irritation and such. Get a nice one with the three head thingys on it. :)

Alex,

how did u shave with cold water, this seems like the hardest part. i've been trying not washing for the past few days and my skin already looks better. i've been using a cetaphil bar and bp on my face pretty constantly now for 2 years and i think both of those are just keeping my face fuckd up. shaving is the hardest part cus that seems to really dry my face out. how can i shave and not dry it out? use cold water? apply something after?

this might be true, i dont get acne on my forehead , i get acne my cheeks and chin and thats where i load up with product. ie benzol peroxide , moisturizers, oils etc

How long does the breakout period last with this regimen? I want to try this but I'd be stopping an SA cleanser morning/night, differin nightly, and a BA cream morning/nightly. I'm afraid the breakout will last a long time and will seriously stress me out if I have to go to school that way thus making the acne worse. I want to try this during xmas break (sigh guess no hanging out to get rid of acne), is two weeks enough to start seeing results / at least the initial breakout is over?

I've been "on" this for 2.5 weeks now and each day im getting better.My oil is about 40% of the oil i would have 5 hours after a shower couple months ago.

this methods actually makes perfect sense, ive always had a similar theory. But why not just use vitamin A to decrese sebum?

Also has any one ever given any thought to how much money is made off of acne products. Why would the manufactuers of these products want to help cure you, they're making making rediculous amounts of money off of it. Its funny because when ever i have tried a new topical it seems to work and do great for the first week or so then its stops working as well and i continue to buy it. i dont know if that makes sense or not to everyone but these drug and over the counter topical manufactuers are companies just like any other company and they're going to try and make as much money as possible.

So i was sitting infront of the mirror looking my crappy face and i was wondering when did all this started,i went to the bedroom and relaxed..i wanted to know when and under what conditions my acne started.I knew it wasnt bad food,masturbation or genes cause my bro is fucking fat and i know why he locks himself in his room everynight (and he is clear)! :P.So i tried to remember,i know it all started with some blackheads on my nose..and then it hit me like a 2ton boulder,back then my mom told me i should shower everyday and wash my face,something i havent stopped doing since.That moment i thought of my bro who takes a shower twice a week or less,i was like wtf?.I puzzled a little bit more and came to the conclusion that we dont fight acne logically,and what i mean by that.Its a fact that sebum oil causes acne,and that oil is produced to keep the skin moist etc,humans are a highly adaptable species,and so if we dry up our skin every 5-6 hours or whatever our bodies will learn to respond faster,so producing huge amounts of oil in short time.

So i did a little experiment,i didnt shower or wash my face for 3days and 3nights.

While simultaneously eating huge amounts of sugars,fats and masturbating 3 times a day.At this point most of you will say that that was a BAAD move.By the end of day 2 my face was almost dripping oil..i had to resist washing it,i did brake out 3 times with about 5-6 whiteheads each time BUT by the end of day 3 they ALL healed,some were healing in 12hrs or so.All the red marks were fading etc.So fast forward to day 4 (today) I took a shower in the morning,i turned the shower head so the water would come down in 1 uniform stream (cause i believe all that high pressure and multiple streams dry your face).I washed my face with only water and without touching it.I still have oily face but its getting better and i intend to shower like this once every 2 days until my face gets to a point where it stops producing oil.I know this type of "cure" is radical but who would believed some decades ago that penicillin would actually be bacteria :).

My dogs skin gets crappy too if it takes more than a bath/week.You know what they say less is actually more.

So jordan12, you still doing the do-nothing method? Somewhere along the way i stopped this and started washing with soaps and scrubbing and crap again and my face was all over the place and bad. I think i stopped because my red mrks were still there, but it took a year and half to realize again that soaps and stuff only make it worse. Now im back on it and its looking so much better. But i changed it a little and wash my face with water in the mornings.

I believe that your regimen of a "do-nothing" + BP, doesn't really work and it's why your still not fully clear. BP is a acne medicine that dries the skin. And so it dries sebum and other lipids on the skin, basically keeping your skin the same as if you were using products. A do-nothing method is supposed to keep a balance of sebum/lipids on the skin so excess sebum will not be produced. So try and not use the BP and see how it goes.

This method really is the way to clear skin and skin you had before acne took over, but it is still not perfected. But the 1st start is that products really do not help and only hurt. You do not need to take away all traces of sebum on your face in order to get rid of acne. All it causes is sebum to be produced faster and more of a chance for acne to form.

i'll add more later if anyone is still interested in this method.

I have not washed my face with water or soap or cleanser or anything since April 2007. As for my results:

Well i ain't changed back yet! It is a huge improvement on washing your face.

After about 2 months all i added was a light smearing of Dan's BP on areas which still got a few zits. I have been completely clear for absolutely ages.

HOWEVER i still feel i have skin problems because my skin is oily as hell! Oilier than anyone else i know. I can lightly brush the back of my hand on my forehead and it will come away shiny. If i leant my chin on a table you would be able to see a shiny patch if the light hit it right.

So yeah... i'm still looking for something to reduce oiliness.

Tried B5. Been on 15 grams for ages... like 2 months to no avail. It has definitely helped my bacne though. I don't know whether it has helped my facial acne as i remain clear but it definitely hasn't reduce oiliness.

wow. this makes so much sense.

this thread started in 2004 and it appears that many people have become clear because of it (check their profiles - they just disappeared)

this isnt another water only thread..its a 'do nothing' regimen...

radical, i love it!

btw i remember when i was clear.. i never washed my face!!! even with water!!

but why did the sebum become worse after sitting in front of comp for some hours? :X im a literally no lifer geek after this acne came and badminton and football had to stop... and sitting in front of a comp all day, that "sitting in front of a pc" made me wonder as i cant see why :X

I actually have a question about using just water.

Sometimes it feels that water is a bit too drying for my sensitive skin and it got me thinking that whenever I had a sensitive spot, my mother would tell me to put a compress of chamomile tea on it.

Would washing your face with chamomile tea get the same results as water or maybe better/worse?

(When talking about tea I mean two different ways of how it could be viewed: 1. tea that has the herbs brewing for about 5min or so; 2. tea that is actually just hot water which quickly ran through the herbs and doesn't soak them in hot water for long.)

I also think that it might be due to tea PH level being a bit more acidic than water PH. And since our skin PH is around 5.5 then perhaps herbal tea strips even less of the oils?

Another question I have is about taking off make-up.

Since i am a girl and one that loves putting on make-up at that (just light-ish make-up: no foundation, light powder, eyeshadow base, eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner) I was wondering on what is the best way to remove make-up without hindering the "do-nothing" regimen too much.

Would light washing gel for sensitive skin be too harsh in the evenings? Or perhaps just try and use jojoba oil to remove make-up? Or maybe just go with the usual chemical make-up removers?

I actually have a question about using just water.

Sometimes it feels that water is a bit too drying for my sensitive skin and it got me thinking that whenever I had a sensitive spot, my mother would tell me to put a compress of chamomile tea on it.

Would washing your face with chamomile tea get the same results as water or maybe better/worse?

(When talking about tea I mean two different ways of how it could be viewed: 1. tea that has the herbs brewing for about 5min or so; 2. tea that is actually just hot water which quickly ran through the herbs and doesn't soak them in hot water for long.)

I also think that it might be due to tea PH level being a bit more acidic than water PH. And since our skin PH is around 5.5 then perhaps herbal tea strips even less of the oils?

Another question I have is about taking off make-up.

Since i am a girl and one that loves putting on make-up at that (just light-ish make-up: no foundation, light powder, eyeshadow base, eyeshadow, mascara, eyeliner) I was wondering on what is the best way to remove make-up without hindering the "do-nothing" regimen too much.

Would light washing gel for sensitive skin be too harsh in the evenings? Or perhaps just try and use jojoba oil to remove make-up? Or maybe just go with the usual chemical make-up removers?

Im not sure about chamomile tea as a wash (i actually drink quite a bit of it though) but i know that water used to irritate my skin (because i had no acid mantle). Weird, i know. But the water that comes from the tap is often "hard water' (high mineral content) that is capable of irritating sensitive skin. water hasnt touched my face in over 2 weeks and its thanking me for it.

Wow, after finish reading all 35 pages(ok i did skipped some post...they were waaay too long), I decided to do this. Not as a regimen, but as a habit.

Right now I'm on the water only, but I'm gonna drop the water altogether.

We'll see how it goes.

Btw, it seems like Alex has been banned(mentioned somewhere around 20+ page), but his profile says his "last seen" was around May 2008. Hmm..

Btw, it seems like Alex has been banned(mentioned somewhere around 20+ page), but his profile says his "last seen" was around May 2008. Hmm..

haha yeh he's like a badass. not washing face anymore, got the fight club insignia, may have been banned. i love it

...I wish this thing worked for me.

I stayed with my fiance` for about 5 days one time and with his parents there, I don't really emerge from his room (which he keeps clean-so its not like there was bacteria everywhere). Needless to say...I didn't shower at all, let alone wash my face and when I went home the following day, I was downright horrified at the condition of my skin.

I've also been a couple of months without using anything on my face (I was poor) and again...it was a wreck. If I don't do something to my face, it goes to hell. At the same time, if I use BP or SA or anything...it dries up even more (my skin is naturally dry) so I don't use those either.

So far, the most effective thing I've found are my natural remedies-though I wish the whole not washing thing worked for me because it'd be free and save me so much friggin' money! Going natural is still saving me a ton of mulah...but I'd rather not have to invest in anything for my face at all.

Okay.

Starting tonight i drop my cleanser (cetaphil gentle wash) and only - ONLY wash with water without touching my face.

Let's see how this goes!

Cheers

For those who are still into this, I suggest that you check out my topic and I'm sure you would be glad to have found it.

AlexAlmighty sent me a pm containing this message asking me to post it here:

Please post this in my thread An Experiment (Long) for me:

"Hi guys, i just checked my old e-mail account and got alot of e-mails about replies to this thread. I stopped posting (..years ago) because my posting rights had been revoked by a mod, this happened because i was fed up with the whiners in the psych forum (dunno if it still exists) and posted, admitedly, inappropriate responses.I'm willing to post my story from the point that was interrupted as long as you guys can talk to some mods so i can post again.

PS: I don't know if my e-mail is visible but girls (17-27 yo) can add me to msn

PPS: I've been clear since mid 2005 or something (can't really remember..)

PPPS: I don't know if i'll respond to pms

AlexAlmighty"

I have been doing a method similar to this for the past 2 months or so. I only wash my face every 2 days now and my acne is better, so is the redness. What is not better however is the blackheads. I have alot more blackheads now and its because i never wash my face. Im forced to squeeze them out everyday..