Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlexAlmighty

An Experiment (Long)

Your body will not be tricked like that,as soon as you start moisturizing your skin will be dry for some time (assuming you substitued sebum with moisturizer for along time) and then it will be extremely oily again.What you need to understand is that i do not aim to kill any bacteria or lessen my oil production with any way.My skin has and will lessen the oil production even more with time.

You see acne is a vicious circle.

You get a zit => You wash => Skin gets dry your body compensates with accelerated production of sebum => You remove oil from skin and it quickly replenishes in your pores => Bacteria get there and cause an immune system reaction => you get more zits => you wash again .....So washing does not only create the opportunity for bacteria to grow in your hair follicle it also gives them more food.The only way to stop this is to stop washing cold turkey for alot of time and shock your system,your body does not produce any substances without need,one of the basic functions of our body is to save energy(fat storage etc),it does not do more than it has to.Im not gonna lie i had TERRIBLE breakouts the first 2 weeks.But slowly my face produces less amounts of oil in a bigger timespawn (enough to keep my skin elastic which is accomplished by storing the oil in the pores) which also keeps bacteria away.Sebum oil presence is essential.It is the way nature intended to be.And btw p.acnes bacteria among other bacteria alot of ignorant ppl try to get rid of actually protect our skin/vital organs from other bacteria/microbes.

If you want to continue using moisturizer every day for the rest of your acnes life be my guest.

as soon as you start moisturizing your skin will be dry for some time (assuming you substitued sebum with moisturizer for along time) and then it will be extremely oily again

Here we go again..frankly im too tired to explain you,use moisturizer if you want but you're not gonna be doing anything different than what you were doing before (bp i presume).

Brighteyes: Well i was gonna say dont wear any but it seems you beat me to it..Well you can use small amounts and make a very thin layer,remove it after with a cotton ball and alcohol ,not soap (yes alchol is better than soap),soap dissolves oils and thats not good.

Unfortunatley Alex wouldnt consider my suggestions, and simple modification on his idea. Many of my questions were ignored. Irrelevant, as i assume he has similar knowledge to me on the matter. I ask anyone keen on trying this idea to read my posts too, trying the moisturizer route first then once the sebum production has been reduced then to follow in alex's footsteps, meaning the initial breakout wont be experienced. I hope to try this on myself starting sometime in the next week.

Well it is clear by now to me that we do not have similar knowledge on the matter.Ive studied numerous microbiologists textbooks but i wont get into details..

After reading again my posts i noticed i didnt make alot of sense so i dont blame you for not understanding anything.

So here it goes..

1)You wont stop giving "food" to bacteria if you start using moisturizer,bacteria can and WILL feed on your skin cells if theres no sebum oil.

2)By using moisturizer you do not "trick" your body into not producing more oil,you're actually forcing it by filling up your pores with chemicals(somewhat clogging them).Natural oils like emu,olive oil (some ppl use this),tea tree oil can be expelled out of the pore by your skin and some of the nutrients absorbed into the blood,on the other hand moisturizer just stays there (im sure you noticed the difference washing off moisturizer 5-6 hours after application and washing 5-6 hours after applying any natural oils).Your body does not recognise moisture in your skin by its flexibility or anything,it looks for certain chemical compositions and the amounts of them.The chemical composition your body checks to see if your skin is moisturized is sebum oil and not a lab mix of Octinoxate , Oxybenzone , Water, Octyldodecyl Neopentanotate, Glycerin, Emulsifying Wax NF, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG 100 Stearate, Dimethicone, Triethanolamine, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Carbomer (neutrogena oil-free moisture ingredients list).Thats why moisturizer wont have any real effect on sebum oil reduction.

Why would it be dry and then oily? Over what time-scale are you talking about, a day, a year?

Hey alex I know you say your oil production is down so im assuming this means you dont have much acne now. But you didnt really say that so Im just wondering if this is the case.

I can say my acne has been reduced for about 60% and who said anything about poor hygiene? I take a bath every 2 days with soap and shampoo and everything,i just dont let any of it touch my face.

I can say my acne has been reduced for about 60% and who said anything about poor hygiene? I take a bath every 2 days with soap and shampoo and everything,i just dont let any of it touch my face.

Thanks Long,you beat me to it smile.gif.Basically ive been through utter HELL the last month but im still optimistic.Im actually going to go to school now without washing my face 2x to make sure it will stay dry for 2-3 hours lol..

Ryan Valmont:I shampoo my hair and then turn my head away from the shower head and tilt my head back so the water hits my forehead vertically.I still let normal water on my face but no water with shampoo/soap.

**UPDATE**

As of now 13/9/2004 i declare my nose 100% oil-free.Its been 30-32 hours since my last shower and my nose is like it has been washed with a cleanser or soap 10mins ago. smile.gif.On to the rest of my face now..

**UPDATE**

As of now 13/9/2004 i declare my nose 100% oil-free.Its been 30-32 hours since my last shower and my nose is like it has been washed with a cleanser or soap 10mins ago. smile.gif.On to the rest of my face now..

**UPDATE**

AlexAlmighty..

Thank you for being so honest with your results thus far...

I had to start washing my face with soap again..

It was starting to breakout in little bumps..I couldnt take it anymore..

In the long run...I hope your experiment works out for you.. smile.gif !!!

I really do think you are on to something...

P.S...Yes...I am old enough to drink...LOL

AND do many other things as well...hehehe laugh.gif

keep on posting...This is soo.. interesting.

Good luck....!!!

tongue.gif Sincerely, Vanessa

Thanks Vanessa,yes i had some of the worst times in the first 12-15 days but i was determined to to get a clear skin and not have to think about it or care,i didnt want to be clear but still use a crapload of topicals to stay like that.Well it seems once again that life rewards the brave (i hope,nothing is over yet tongue.gif),i had one brakeout in the last 10 days or so,i still need time though bb_doubt.gif

P.S...Yes...I am old enough to drink...LOL

AND do many other things as well...hehehe

Interesting experiment. I tried this for a few years, until recently, and believe I got a bit better by it. However, I never got "clear". Now I'm back with benzoyl peroxide using a modified version of Dan's regiment, and I'm better now than when I did not use anything. I can certainly testify to that using regular soap in the face is a terrible mistake. There are special cleansing gels without soap that can be used, though.

By the way, before trying the 'nothing in my face' cure, I had tried everything. Various antibiotics, peroxides, tetracyclines, Accutane (twice) and other stuff I no longer remember and which are no longer in sale. The only thing that ever helped significantly was Accutane, which got me rid of my acne on my back and chest.

Hi, I think this is a very good topic. Overwashing of the face is a horrible thing, and certainly does cause breakouts. I generally wash my face twice a day, and I know it causes the oil to produce itself quicker. There is one fact you aren't really considering though. Bacteria die when exposed to oxygen. Having pores full of oil is certainly more healthy than stripping your face five times a day, but you still will break out. Bacteria find a way to get places, the oil can't keep them all out forever. Its when they get into your pore and reproduce that the infection happens. This is the whole theory behind BP, though i never thought it worked for me. Lately I have become convinced that my skin is just a reaction to a deficiency in vitamin A. started applying retinA and a light moisturizer at night and small vitamin A supplements with lunch. Now I'm clear when i thought nothing else worked.

A side note, the retinA also caused my skin to become non oily and nice, not just stop the pimples from forming.

marshallbanan: Sebum oil does not just sit in the pore like moisturizers,it is constantly renewed and bacteria will not move from where there is food (which is the SURFACE of the skin)

As for the retinA..u can stay in the pool or the sea for 7+ hours per day and ull have perfectly clear skin in a week,smooth and dry and all..but for how long can you be in the sea 7+ hours a day??I think u know what i mean.

Sendai:During that time did u use cleansers? How many times did you shower per week and what was the temperature of the water? pls reply thanks

alexalmighty, i think this is like the do nothing regimen.......for others it tended to work for a little while, and then stopped......what im trying to do is wash my face less, just once a day.....u mentioned oil is good, which it is, but dont people with acne have oil that just dont come out of the pore, and get stuck, and thats why they have problems?

if the oil left the pore, there wouldnt be any problems