Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AlexAlmighty

An Experiment (Long)

Why not give up washing all together???

6 days wash free, but only because I can't fine an all natural shampoo in engaland and the shower is broken.

So much easier. biggrin.gif

I dont know if I could do this. I'm like obsessed with washing my face and honestly IT"S SO OILY. Even my fingertips get oily and I dont touch my face....so weird. When I drove down to Florida (27hour drive) I couldn't wash my face, and when I got there my face was horrible. I had so many breakouts from the oil so I dont know if I have the guts to try this experiement. But one thing I've noticed is that I get those skin colored bumps if I wash too much.

Ok so if I can get myself not to wash 3 times a day, when should I wash??

You sound like you might be a prime candidate for this experiment, as Alex said he also had extremely oily skin.

Again, the thing isn't not taking a shower--it's not washing your face. Actually, I believe Alex washed his face every other day with cold water and nothing else. And he just basically let it hit his face, not touching it with his hands.

This thread is wayyyyyyyy too long for me to read through everything that has been brought up, but I have a question.

Some guy posted something about using some oils on his face at night, to kind of trick your face into thinking it was oily and said he noticed drastic results, it was some kind of natural oil so your body would think it would produced by it. Wouldnt this be a very similar way to do this and still take showers? I like taking showers not for my skin but more for my hair, I hate greasy hair

my face is really flaking, ITS HEALING! i have come up with a theory of what sebum is for! Our skin has been making more sebum to cure our skin. why? how? Sebum is anti-water, and like people have been saying here, don't you heal faster when you don't put a bandade? Well its basically the same thing. When a pimple is creaping up, i just scrape off the dead skin cell off and it just goes away. I've been doing this for like 5 days maybe, I only wash my face when i shower. My redmarks are really fading too and my skin tone is better. I really like doing this, I think my pores are shrinking too.

I think i've been getting good results also because I really dont eat carbohydrates mostly just protein. So what i'm dong is having a diet like the other people from other countries as well as their hygene regimine.

"No topical therapies influence the production of sebum.  Soaps, detergents, and astringents can remove sebum from the surface of the skin but do not alter sebum production and are of no therapeutic value."  James J. Leyden, M. D.  "Therapy for Acne Vulgaris", The New England Journal of Medicine, April 17, 1997.

I interpreted that quote a little different from the way you did--maybe they're saying it doesn't DECREASE the production of sebum, because the antiquated notion is that sebum "causes" acne and that no matter what, you want to reduce it. I could be wrong, though.

Some guy posted something about using some oils on his face at night, to kind of trick your face into thinking it was oily and said he noticed drastic results, it was some kind of natural oil so your body would think it would produced by it. 

Some guy posted something about using some oils on his face at night, to kind of trick your face into thinking it was oily and said he noticed drastic results, it was some kind of natural oil so your body would think it would produced by it. 

This is getting sillier and sillier all the time. eusa_doh.gif

Please explain something to me: how do you suppose it is that your face (specifically, the sebaceous glands underneath the surface of the skin) actually KNOWS whether or not there's a layer of oil on the surface? Is there an invisible sensor of some kind on the surface which relays information via invisible nerves down to the oil glands? Are there "messenger microbes" on the surface which periodically check the amount of oil on the surface (much the same way I check the oil in my car with a dipstick) and then burrow down to the sebaceous glands to report their findings? smile.gif

Bryan

To add to that, I'd like to give what I think is a fair example.

When your body is overheating you produce sweat

When your face is dry you produce oil

To add to that, I'd like to give what I think is a fair example.

When your body is overheating you produce sweat

When your face is dry you produce oil

I play football and we have practices every day. So when I take a shower, should I just not touch my face or can I dry the sweat off with a towel. I'm just wondering if wiping the sweat off with a towel will make it worse.

Wait, i'm really confused. I just read this thread and what AlexAmighty said was to not wash your face so that the sebum would fill your pores and the bacteria would be on the surface. But then, sebum is what help to aggravate the p.acnes bateria and if they are on the surface, wouldn't they cause more wreckage as they can mix with other bacterias from the air? Will someone please clarify these for me????

"Ok, now it's YOUR turn: explain to me how the face/body "knows" whether or not there's oil on the surface of the skin! biggrin.gif"

Dude, if we had the answer to this question this wouldn't be an experiment. You're just being stubborn about this, your body is SO complex. Look at what you just said about sweating, and tell me that isnt possible with oil on your skin. Your body does everything it can to protect you till the day you die, that if your face is dry from washing it too much or doesn't have enough oil on it I'm certain its possible for it to produce more/stop producing oil when it needs to.

If you don't like the experiment, stop posting here and let other people try. I'm interested in seeing peoples results.

Theoretically, it will keep the bacteria at the surface of the skin rather than IN the pore waiting for the sebacious glands to pump out more sebum for them to feed on.

After a request of jordan12 i came back here to post since it seems there's still a cloud of confusion in here.I'm no derm,i don't know how our skin works exactly.What i did study though is bacteria and how our bodies respond to it.First things first,i've been crystal clear for five months now.It's been a year since i started doing this and soap came in contact with my face 5 times so far.I could explain why i believe my theory works but that would take too long and im tired of arrogant reactions.I'm still not 18years old so i dont think i've "grown out" of acne,it was a spur of the moment decision and im glad i took it.My skin is dry and soft 24/7 even on the nose/t-zone/jaw.I dont think of it anymore,it has become a habit of not using any soap/cleansers on my face.If anyone wants any better explanations/answers or some reason to be convinced pm me.

Cheers.

IMO i dont think this regimen has anything to do with sebum keeping bacteria away or stuff like that...It's about calming down the face instead of using alll these cleansers/soap that irritate and dry your skin. When you wash with soap/cleanser, you wash away ALL of the oils off of your face. This will just leave you more irritated and dry or oily. With this regimen your still cleaning your face but not drying it too much with just water. But make sure you wash thoroughly with water. It also gives your skin a break instead of washing morning and night with cleanser.

And with this regimen i can definately tell you that your oil WILL decrease. I had oily skin but now it is kinda dry.

this is still working for me. i dont really use soap or really i do remember when i went to montana on greyhound...my skin was clear when i got there, which took me about 3 days to get there....also....when i rode back..my mom commented on my skin. now its noticiable..my skin has never been more clear...but also have to look at the fact that i try not to eat sugar at all.

Thanks. Anyone else have results? Everyone I've seen try it says they've had positive results, so I'm thinking I want to try it. I wish I would have read it sooner though, like the beginning of summer ><