Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I've just read few studies on "Exacerbation of inflammatory bowel disease with isotretinoin". Absolutely stunning lecture.I was actually sweating while reading this:

I finished my isotretinoin therapy 6 months ago. My dermatologist prescribed low dosage isotretinoin [10mg per month for total time of 7 months] for my scalp folliculitis.

I had no idea u can develop Crohn's disease from isotretinoin. No one told me about it, my dermatologist mentioned only dry lips.

I'm utterly devastated and depressed because studies show u can develop Inflammatory bowel disease even years after u finished taking isotretinoin.

How can people who used isotretinoin sleep well knowing such thing? :cry:

Is there any way we can prevent it? :cry:

Edited by VanceAstro

interesting that you joined these forums today.. would be interesting if someone could check your ip and see if you've posted here before and your not just fear mongering..

But it is clearly listed on the medication side effects you get with your prescription. It is a rare side effect, but don't blame your ignorance on your doctor. She probably should have mentioned it but don't say you were never told about it - it is written on the same box you get your pills out of.

Secondly, how do I sleep at night? Pretty well. There are a lot of everyday things and occurrences that do bad things to your body. Cell phone radiation can cause tumors but I talk and text on mine everyday. There are cancer cells growing in all of our bodies right now.. how do you sleep knowing that at night?

interesting that you joined these forums today.. would be interesting if someone could check your ip and see if you've posted here before and your not just fear mongering..

But it is clearly listed on the medication side effects you get with your prescription. It is a rare side effect, but don't blame your ignorance on your doctor. She probably should have mentioned it but don't say you were never told about it - it is written on the same box you get your pills out of.

Secondly, how do I sleep at night? Pretty well. There are a lot of everyday things and occurrences that do bad things to your body. Cell phone radiation can cause tumors but I talk and text on mine everyday. There are cancer cells growing in all of our bodies right now.. how do you sleep knowing that at night?

If you're honestly very worried about this, there are things you can do:

1) Take probiotics, eat fermented food products, and eat prebiotic foods.

2) Remove grains and legumes from your diet.

3) Stop worrying so much.

Edited by greentiger87
If you're honestly very worried about this, there are things you can do:

1) Take probiotics, eat fermented food products, and eat prebiotic foods.

2) Remove grains and legumes from your diet.

3) Stop worrying so much.

Thanks for the kind words and advices green.

I was actually shaking and was about to cry when I saw those articles :/

Its ok, if you do get Chron's, you can sue because they did not inform you that you could get this disease in the pamphlet provided to you.

Its ok, if you do get Chron's, you can sue because they did not inform you that you could get this disease in the pamphlet provided to you.

In pamphlet there was only something about blood in stool which I never had. There was no single word about chronic disease which is Crohn's or ulcerative colitis.

I will do endoscopy next week. Im very afraid. I had mild nausea and I was in toiled like 6 times yesterday, regular stool with no blood in it, but this is still very disturbing :cry:

Doubt I can sue anyone, I live in Europe and I'm unemployed. Doubt if I would even have money to cure *eventual* crohn :cry:

God, just give me a time machine so I just wouldn't buy the prescription.

Edited by VanceAstro

Can I just preface this post with that above kind of thinking does tick me off. We are all sentient, autonomous beings and for the most part been blessed with common sense and intelligence. Medicine, and in my humble opinion really everything on this earth is not an exact science. Ergo there are risks we take with every decision we make and the weight of the risk is dependent upon the nature of the decision.

We know accutane is not a drug to be taken lightly. When a medication requires you to sign a release form you know it's not candy.

Therefore the first time I was prescribed accutane, I sat on my sofa and read through both the printed literature my derm gave me and the insert that comes in the accutane box. It took me about 20 mins. And Crohn's disease was clearly listed as a side effect.

It concerns me that some people prefer not to take responsibility for their actions. And it would seem would prefer to live in a nanny state.

However, from my experience with different dermatologists and from various accounts on these boards some derms do treat accutane in a blase fashion, which is probably because they have prescribed it for many years and never had a problem. And maybe the op did not consider the full weight that undertaking an accutane course demands.

I completely agree with all Greentiger's suggestions for maintaining a healthy digestive system and I should really be following his advice too :doh:

p.s Just read Vance Astro's last post - I am so sorry you are going through this. Blood in the stool does not definitely mean something sinister. I really hope it all goes well and wish you luck.

Interestingly, did you take the generic version or the brand? Because roche in Australia definitely lists Crohn's disease on its insert.

p.s Just read Vance Astro's last post - I am so sorry you are going through this. Blood in the stool does not definitely mean something sinister. I really hope it all goes well and wish you luck.

Interestingly, did you take the generic version or the brand? Because roche in Australia definitely lists Crohn's disease on its insert.

While I was taking isotretinoin I preety much didn't had any side effects [i was taking low dosage - 10 mg one month and 20 mg another for around 7 months]. My liver tests were better while taking isotretinoin than before I took it, because while on it, I was excercising, drinking a lot of water and eat only healthy food.

The doctor that prescribed me isotretinoin have habilitation in dermatology and doesn't use isotretinoin in higher doses than 20mg/day [he usually prescribes 5/10/20 mg/day]. Right after I entered his office for the first time, he checked my scalp [folliculitis caused by propionibacterium acnes] and explained pathogenesis of this disease then said that antibiotics won't really help in this case [i took doxycycline few months earlier].

I was very happy to hear that, in fact, I was waiting for him to say that magic word. I got what I wanted. By that time I knew very well what isotretinoin is, that's why after he prescribed it I was hesitating to buy it for 3 weeks. I knew about blood in the stool side effect that might occur while taking the drug, but I've never experienced such thing during my treatment or post-treatment. But the thing that I didn't know is that isotretinoin can cause inflammatory bowel disease months or even years post treatment. There was not a single word about this fact in Curacne pamphlet [french isotretinoin I was taking].

Once again to clarify, I never had any blood in my stool [at least I didn't seen it and I checked many times] or felt any pain. But from quite some time my stomach is boiling, I have gases and yesterday I went to the toilet 3 times in the period of 6 hours and then another 3 times by the end of the day. I don't know what caused it, I eat healthy food, I'm using supplements [omega 3 and beta glucan with zinc].

Right now I feel very week and I have developed MAJOR depression, because I'm thinking all the time that I have crohn's. I spend last two days crying in bed and reading about crohn's disease. It is unbelievable that just one year ago I was telling people who had issues with isotretinoin that it can't be that bad and that its only their imagination.

And I do belive that isotretinoin is the best cure for acne, because there is a chance that once u go through it, u soon might find out that acne is indeed your slightest problem :cry:

Anyway, in the comming weeks I plan to do full tests for crohn, ulcerative colitis and possibly other gastric issues.

:cry:

Edited by VanceAstro

You should be fine consider the dosages that you were on. Your doctor did the right thing by prescribing you with 10mg for a total of 7 months.

ITT hypochondriac. Over 30 million have taken accutane, and its generic brands worldwide. And its rare to get ibs and other bowl deseases from accutane. If you dont have any problems stop crying. and if you did take accutane 6 months ago. it comes with a side effects book. learn to read.

OP is completely correct for feeling the way hes feeling. When I first heard about the side effects I couldn't believe it and almost dismissed accutane for life. Now that my acne is coming as strong as its ever been i want to get on accutane and have an appointment in about a week.

The side effects are rare but they are real. Real enough to change your life forever and that is a risk that many people, understandably, are not willing to take.

I am going on accutane because literally nothing works for me, been on tetracycline, differin, clindoxel gel and it hasn't worked.

OP:

You would have SYMPTOMS if you had Crohn's-and Im not talking just one day of having some diarrhea. I dated someone with severe Crohn's disease (ran in his family). He spent 2 hours on the toilet trying to take a bowel movement, had to bite a towel to poop. He had MASSIVE amounts of blood in his stool and then had to have rectal surgery for two fistulae and a fissure.

You get a big huge book before your doctor will even prescribe Accutane, you have to sign a waiver. Some anti-depressants cause freaking necrotizing fasciitis and you don't have to sign a waiver for that.

I think you are doing yourself worse by freaking out about GETTING Crohn's.

Not trying to be harsh but it's kind of annoying when people who haven't seen a disease first hand they they've got it because they had the sharts for a few hours.

I wish I had kept a pamphlet from all those accutane prescriptions now :(. but since finishing my last round in dec 09 (been a year). I've thrown them all away with the pamphlets so now I have no evidence of "no warnings of any chron's disease". Just a few days ago I was so scared about what further side effects would show up (I'm already going through some of them and they aren't going away), that i immediately went to the pharmacy to obtain previous prescription records of accutane and i only managed to obtain ONLY 2 slips (one from each pharmacy which means 2 pharmacies). plus another one that was left in the dust hiding at home. so i have 3 slips. Most of the rest are removed from the pharmacy records because i guess they just don't keep them for that long (it's been over a year already). If I waited a bit longer, every evidence would've been gone. I just wanted to keep them as proof I took them in case something comes up in the future (hopefully not) then maybe someone can verify accutane as the culprit. it may not do much but i can at least show i took it.

ITT hypochondriac. Over 30 million have taken accutane, and its generic brands worldwide. And its rare to get ibs and other bowl deseases from accutane. If you dont have any problems stop crying. and if you did take accutane 6 months ago. it comes with a side effects book. learn to read.

While it is rare, the side effects of Crohn's or ulcerative colitis are real and can happen. and is understandable why people would worry over it. and don't be so blatantly ignorant. OP already said it doesn't mention anything about Crohn's in the pamphlet. The pamphlet also doesn't properly label other Long term side effects that people have to face.

Edited by coolguy