Notifications
Clear all

What's a good acne product for dry and sensitive skin?

MemberMember
(@xrainbow)

Posted : 12/31/2010 2:59 am

My mother is taking me to Target to get acne supplies, Proactiv wasn't for me.

I have an army of pimples scattered all around the nose area. It's bad due to the dry skin.

Do I need a cleanser, acne product, and moisturizer for this? If so, what is recommended?

I get multiple small red pimples on the nose area.

The hairline and chin and forehead are one to two pimples.

Here's the picture i drew:

[Edited image out]

MemberMember
(@claudius)

Posted : 12/31/2010 8:14 am

Dont use a moisturizer with synthetic lanolins in or stearic acid, as these are very comedogenic. The main one to look out for is stearic acid, because its in a quite a few moisturizers.

Vaseline might be a good idea to put on before going to bed only obs. Its not comedogenic despite common belief. aloe vera is another suggestion - if your skins quite irritated.

As for what to use to treat acne once BPO and SA (which im pretty sure are both in proactive) have failed. Maybe go and see a doctor for oral antibiotics or topical retinoids. :)

MemberMember
(@xrainbow)

Posted : 12/31/2010 5:42 pm

Dont use a moisturizer with synthetic lanolins in or stearic acid, as these are very comedogenic. The main one to look out for is stearic acid, because its in a quite a few moisturizers.

Vaseline might be a good idea to put on before going to bed only obs. Its not comedogenic despite common belief. aloe vera is another suggestion - if your skins quite irritated.

As for what to use to treat acne once BPO and SA (which im pretty sure are both in proactive) have failed. Maybe go and see a doctor for oral antibiotics or topical retinoids. :)

Do I get the Petroleum Jelly or the Lotion kind? Thanks for answering! (:

MemberMember
(@freeride6772)

Posted : 12/31/2010 5:49 pm

If your breakouts are due to dry skin, I would suggest a nice light moisturizing lotion. Currently I am using Olay's sensitive forumla. It is a tad pricey, but worth it.

Also, I know clean and clear makes a good 10% BP spot treatment to treat your current pimples.

MemberMember
(@elsewhere)

Posted : 12/31/2010 6:38 pm

I would recommend the lotion if you are going the Vaseline route, not the petroleum jelly. I have used Neosporin at times as a treating moisturizer (good for treating open blemishes) and have always found the lotion/creme worked better than the regular thick stuff.

MemberMember
(@omegaisjaded)

Posted : 12/31/2010 7:08 pm

I like serums better than lotions and creams.

The only thing from a physical store that I can recommend is Aveeno Ultra Calming Foaming Cleanser. It's so super gentle. I know it's not for acne,but I haven't ever used a cleanser that actually deep cleaned anyways. I don't think cleansers are on your face long enough to perform miracles. I rather use a cleanser that gets off excess oil and makeup with drying out my face. Aveeno does the job quite nicely.Also,it's 12 bucks but it will last you a good 6-9 months.

If you want a cheap toner,what you use after you cleanse, you can just mix half water with half apple cider vinegar in a bottle. It works just like any other AHA toner you'd find in the store minus the irritation.

I actually purchased a sample of an acne serum that you can purchase from vitamin stores. I'm starting to question how much I really like the current serum in my signature lol. I will surely report back after I've used it for a bit.

MemberMember
(@claudius)

Posted : 01/03/2011 12:49 pm

Do I get the Petroleum Jelly or the Lotion kind? Thanks for answering! (:

I actually meant the patroleum jelly. You can buy it in big tubs under the baby section of the chemists (by no mean the tiny little tubs for the lips) and apply it before going to bed. Then wash off the residue in the morning.

MemberMember
(@rickyuae)

Posted : 03/27/2016 6:58 am

Hi xRainbow, I would recommend any of these 2 acne facial wash and scrubs for a dry / sensitive skin types viz. Clean and Clear Acne Face wash or Neutrogena Acne Products

MemberMember
(@fiaf)

Posted : 03/28/2016 6:03 pm

Hi, I recommend Avene cleanance expert. It's a moisturiser and combats acne. It's really good! I made a thread about it just recently.